Post Cruise - Miami Everglades Safari Tour

Has anyone taken the Miami Everglades Safari Tour (post-cruise)? In making the reservation, it states the tour departs the ship at 7:00 AM and finishes (at the airport) at 11:45 AM. Comments on the tour? Does it really leave the ship at 7AM. I know I have to leave the ship, but 7AM is really early. Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

I can't comment on the ship tour but I did rent a car at the port and drive to the everglades to take the tour. We were off the ship by 6:30am, took our own bags off. I really enjoyed it and I would recommend it. I think you are good with the ships tour, the port was extremly crowded when we got off and it would be nice to have a designated bus waiting to take us out of the area.

We did this excursion 3/16/07. Yes, you do leave early; think it was @ 7:15a.m. for us. We were the second group called to disembark. Trip was enjoyable, guide had a lot of general information about the area and it sure beats sitting in the airport

I've taken this shore excursion and they do leave around that time. The reason why we booked this tour is to get a ride back to the FLL airport (they have one for the MIA airport as well). Now my comments are bias because I didn't understand what I was getting into but....I HATED IT!!

The bugs were as big as me and it was H O T!!! We couldn't really go out far because the water level was so low and we would have gotten stuck and had to walk back. They do offer a decent tour but the included lunch is awful. I swear they gave us alligator meat instead of hamburger. Like I said for me it was strictly something to do until our flight left and a ride back to FLL.

If you click the link below there are a few pictures at the end.

We did this type of excursion in FLL off the Enchantment and again in Miami off the Navigator. The latter being just this past January. I thought the Miami excursion was better.

Yes, we did leave very close to 7:00am. After customs and loading our luggage onto the bus, we drove to the park. Started with an airboat ride and saw much natural wildlife ie turtles, birds. We saw many alligators, some were actually very close to our boat. My 17 year old was sitting on the bench seat at the edge and one gator was about 2ft away. (Not computer savy, but will try to post the pic). They offered food which had to be ordered before the boat ride and picked up after, and a small gift shop. There was also a brief educational "demonstration" with audience participation :) I found with three kids it was definately better than sitting around the airport, and they really enjoyed the experience.

529953093_NavigatorofTheSeas252.jpg.f5d8f767bb719f8ce2ee8f377f399d76.jpg

Has anyone taken the Miami Everglades Safari Tour (post-cruise)? In making the reservation, it states the tour departs the ship at 7:00 AM and finishes (at the airport) at 11:45 AM. Comments on the tour? Does it really leave the ship at 7AM. I know I have to leave the ship, but 7AM is really early. Any comments appreciated. Thanks!

We took the tour in June. It wasn't bad. Our tour guide had a really quirky sense of humor and was kinda of trading barbs with the bus driver - but in an almost serious way (they've obviously worked together a long time). The guide played it off though like he'd never worked with the guy before. The bus part of the tour was so-so. The Everglades swamp tour was fun. We probably got the best guide. I can't recall his name, but you'd never miss him in a crowd. While our tour was limited due to the swamp water level being low, he was very entertaining. We ended up ordering frog legs and alligator at the shop, both were sorta tasty. All in all, not a bad way to finish the trip. We actually had more fun on that excursion than when we were in Nassau. :P

Oh yeah, as for the 'demonstration', my wife got picked to wrestle the alligator. I'll stop there, as not to spoil anything. ;) Also, be sure to schedule a flight out that is pretty close to the end of the tour. We ended up at the airport for a long time due to me over judging how long the tour would be.

Our flight home from FLL wasn't until 6:45 so we booked the tour for the conclusion of our Jewel repositioning cruise in November. There were a group of us and we truly enjoyed the entire tour and we were dropped off at the airport around 1pm. The airline wouldn't let us check our luggage in until 3 or 4 hours prior to the time of our flight, so we still had to endure a number of hours in what to my mind is one of the worst facilities I have experienced in years of flying. No food facilities in the terminal until you get through security except for a snack kiosk in the lower level baggage claim area,and very limited food service even after you got past security. To top it off our 6:45 flight didn't board until approx. 8:45.:(

No complaints whatsoever about the excursion,plenty about FLL.:rolleyes:

Archived