tendering with wheelchair on infinity?

melika091900

I was wondering how celebrity deals with people tendering who use a wheelchair ?? any experiences ?

Do we need to tell them ahead of time ?

my mom can walk, but she uses the wheelchair since she has really bad knees, and she cant step up on things, and stairs are bad,

any info id appreciate, we are sailing in 6 days

thanks

Melissa

I am racking my memory since we were just on the Infinity in Feb for 14 days. We did have two tender ports and I do not recall wheelchairs on our tenders. They do have elevator service down to the deck where they tender, but you still have to step into the boats which are going to be moving up and down depending on the seas. If she could step into the tenders I suppose it would be OK. But there is no way they can wheel a wheel chair onto tenders and I do not know if safety concerns would allow them to lift a chair over to a tender. You will have to notify them, when you get on the ship, about her status since they will make special arrangements for the safety (life boat) drill. Since your sailing is less than a week away, I guess its just best to "go with the flow" and ask them when you get aboard.

Hank

My experience watching persons in chairs tendering is not a good one. If using the boats from the ship even worse. If sea's are even a little rough it's even worse.

They pass you by hand down off the ship via stairs to the loading platform and then same into the tender.

Not good.

Even some places where I have docked the set up is not good depending on tide and height of the dock.

Check with the staff as soon as you can once on board to see what they offer in the Ports where you tender.

M class, Zenith and Horizon

Hi Melissa,

My neighbour just returned from an Hawaiian cruise (not on Infinity) .... his wife uses a walker and stayed on the ship at the tender ports ... he said it was too dangerous for her to attempt to get into the tenders because they were bouncing too much (the seas were a bit rough, but perhaps they'll be calmer when you go). He went on shore excursions and she enjoyed those days on board reading and watching the beautiful scenery from the ship. A compromise, but it sounds like they had a wonderful trip :)

Different cruise line and ship (RCCL's Monarch), but.....

DH was just recuperating from foot surgery last December on our shorty cruise. Yes, they can accommodate wheelchairs. What they do is wheel her down the ramp backwards, and then they usually have a ramp on board the tender that they put up to continue the trip. Same thing the other way going up, and wheelchairs take priority!

RCCL has a special department for this sort of thing, so ask your TA what the "special needs" contact email is at X, and let them know your question. They should be able to tell you how it works.

If the seas are too rough, they might not let the wheelchair on the tender.

Hi, we are on the cruise with you, 4/8. My mother uses a scooter on board. She has traveled the world, but would never attempt to board a tender. I've seen many, many, people of limited mobility get on board a tender without any problems. The staff will do their best. For Mom, the cruise is the trip. Our last 3 r/t cruises CA to Hawaii, she never got off the ship. Love those days at sea enjoying the sea air.

When we were on a RCCL ship, there were several people in wheelchairs taken off the cruise ship that was tendered. They used the backward technique that someone mentioned and the seas were rough. The wheelchairs went on first but came off last. I think they were worried about passengers running off the tender boat so they wouldn't miss a meal.

thank you all for you responses.

we took my mom to mexico and she didnt get off in the tender ports.

I was just hoping maybe celebrity is more accomidating,( Sp?) but i will check when we get onboard and see what they say .

hopefully the water will be calm, ill keep my fingers crossed

thanks again

melissa

It depends on the conditions when tendering. We were in one port where the sea was a little rough and they made an announcement that persons unable to navigate the stairs would not be allowed to tender. Hubby stayed on the ship that day as he had hip problems and had to use a cane. (He was scheduled for replacement surgery when we got back from our cruise.)

I would not even attempt to take a wheelchair on a tender, sometimes to get to the tender you have to go down metal steps. Even when tied up it is often needed to get off using the "supply access ramp"

Shore tours are not equipped to deal with wheelchairs, and using a bath room even in a cafe is often impossible with a wheelchair. I use a wheelchair at airports and for boarding and dis embarking, but walk around the ship (do not use stairs as like your mother have arthritis in knees/hips) I limit going shore very severely, only if it is for an arranged even t, never just for sight seeing, shopping, etc.

It really is too bad that Celebrity ships often had to be tendered from far away while other lines get to dock at the ports. I have no idea how these decisions are made. Melissa, it would be awful for your mother to go all the way to Hawaii and not be able to meet family because of the tender.

It really is too bad that Celebrity ships often had to be tendered from far away while other lines get to dock at the ports. I have no idea how these decisions are made. Melissa, it would be awful for your mother to go all the way to Hawaii and not be able to meet family because of the tender.

exactly,, at least in hilo and honolulu she can get off,

but im hoping at least in maui she can , so she can meet my husbands brother that my husband hasnt seen in like 12 years.

We will just have to check the water conditions, and my husband can help her alot as well,

if she decides to try it withouth the wheelchair, we can probably still bring it with us folded up i hope,

we will see in a few days...

see you onboard and take care

Melissa

Melissa,

We were on a HAL cruise with a friend who is in a wheelchair was able to tender in some ports, but not all. When the weather was rough, she was advised to stay on the ship.

When she did tender, the crew lifted her and her wheelchair and carried her down into the tender.

Not sure how Celebrity will handle this, but if HAL can do it, I would guess Celebrity would also be able to.

sue

Melissa,

Besides your nice strong husband, there will be other men on board like my husband, who can help your Mom get onto the tender. Does she have a brace for that knee? If she does, bring it along in case the crew can't get her down in the wheelchair. I have seen folded wheelchairs on the tenders so that won't be a problem.

I can't swim, so I don't particularly like getting on a bobbing boat. I found that the crew was very helpful on the tender. They must have sensed my fear because they held on to me tightly when I got on the tender boat.

Your Mom is going too far not to get off the ship and meet that family.

Melissa,

Besides your nice strong husband, there will be other men on board like my husband, who can help your Mom get onto the tender. Does she have a brace for that knee? If she does, bring it along in case the crew can't get her down in the wheelchair. I have seen folded wheelchairs on the tenders so that won't be a problem.

I can't swim, so I don't particularly like getting on a bobbing boat. I found that the crew was very helpful on the tender. They must have sensed my fear because they held on to me tightly when I got on the tender boat.

Your Mom is going too far not to get off the ship and meet that family.

youre so sweet thank you ....

she doesnt have a brace, but im sure we can have them help lift her if the weather is good, im hoping,,

she might be embarassed to get lifted but at least we can try in maui for sure,,,

see you all soon..

Melissa

We went on Summit to Hawaii in 2006. My daughter is in a wheelchair. We used the tender without any problems. The crew knows what to do. I am overly protective too and once I saw how it was done, I was very comfortable letting them carry or guide her chair down and lift her into the tender. If the water is rough they may ask you to wait a bit. Just let them know when you get on board that you want to tender with a chair.

We went to Panama this past Feb. and used the tenders again without any problems. They also helped us up and down the ramps when getting on and off the ship at docked ports. Celebrity employees went way over the top to help us. We did an excursion where I had to lift her onboard the bus. They preboarded us and got us settled first so we would not be in the way for others to board. We waited until the bus was empty to get off, so others did not have to wait for us. Just ask for any assistance needed and they usually find a way to help. At least this has been our experience. Have fun..Connie

We went on Summit to Hawaii in 2006. My daughter is in a wheelchair. We used the tender without any problems. The crew knows what to do. I am overly protective too and once I saw how it was done, I was very comfortable letting them carry or guide her chair down and lift her into the tender. If the water is rough they may ask you to wait a bit. Just let them know when you get on board that you want to tender with a chair.

We went to Panama this past Feb. and used the tenders again without any problems. They also helped us up and down the ramps when getting on and off the ship at docked ports. Celebrity employees went way over the top to help us. We did an excursion where I had to lift her onboard the bus. They preboarded us and got us settled first so we would not be in the way for others to board. We waited until the bus was empty to get off, so others did not have to wait for us. Just ask for any assistance needed and they usually find a way to help. At least this has been our experience. Have fun..Connie

thats great that they accomidated like that, im hoping the same in a few days , thank you for your information, im glad she got to enjoy all the ports on your trips..

thank you again

melissa

After a dozen cruises on Celebrity we have never had a problem with my wife getting off the ship on a tender. The crew will help in every way possible. Just let them know in advance. They will get her on either 1st or last. Usually leaving the last seat on tender for her so she will be the first one off. Then they usually put here chair right next too her in the isle. Sounds like your mom can walk a bit, which is helpful. My wife has MS and cant walk but it has never stopped us from tendering. Most "most" passengers are great about helping or holding up the line to allow your mom on the tender.Don't let her miss these ports. Also in the future HAL is even better than Celebrity when assisting people with disabilities when tendering. I hope you have a great trip.

Archived