Lois R

:D Talking about booze;)

I normally stick with my usuals....fun martinis before dinner, wine

with dinner, mudslides by the pool, and of course for something

cool, vodka&tonic is always nice.

But one of the bartenders in the Navigator on Mercury let me have a taste

of something called "HYPNOTIC":D :) I think I have fallen

in love LOL......anyone ever try it? Or have something special

you drink on a ship that you don't normally drink at home?

Hypnotic is a beautiful blue color. Made in France, the base

is a mixture of vodka and congac with passion fruit. I had

it over ice......ahhhhhhh.....so good.:)

Hi:) speaking of new....;)

I will be on Galaxy for the 1st time next March:D

10 nights.....I think you just did this itinerary? Sounds sooo

good.

Would you give me a recommendation on tours in St Lucia,

Curaco and Aruba?

It will be my first time to all these ports......what a way to

celebrate the BIG 50:D

And I will try a new drink or 2 as well:)

Lois,

I will do my best.

St Lucia, I have been there 4 times. The first time we did the land sea tour through the ship. It is a long day, but very informational. We had a good time, but it was just a little too long.

The second time we did the Caribbean Pirates sail, I dont' think it was work the $$$. Unimpressed with the tour.

Then next time we did the Batik factory tour, another trip that was not all it cracked up to be. The beach time was nice, but the batik tour was lacking.

The last time we got off the ship for 45 minutes to hit the shops. We didn't buy anything.

What I would reccomend, is set up to do something with Cosol. A number of people on our cruise board did this and had a great time. I did the Mandoo tour in Grenada and spent the day listening to the stories about their tour.

As to Curacao, I've been there 2x. Both time we went to the Sea Aquarium. The first time was the uncertified scuba dive. We had a great time. The last time we went for the Sea Lion swim. I have never seen this offered anywhere else. It was a fun experience.

Our tablemates went to the Ostrich farm and had so many fun stories for us. Just another option. We'll probably do this the next time.

In Aruba, the first time there, we rented a jeep from a company called Amigo. Great service and price. We spent the day driving around the island. It's a small island and there's plenty of time to see everything. We found it funny when we rented our jeep. In the past, we are warned don't take the jeep off road. When we rented the jeep and got "When you go off road, here's where you want to go" I loved it. It was a blast as we drove all over the island and spent time at the butteryfly farm. We got lost, but it added to the adventure.

While there last month, with so many ports we opted to enjoy the ship. We got off for 2 hours of shopping and then back to the ship to enjoy our next to last day on Galaxy.

It's a great itinerary and I'd love to do it again. So many cruises so little time

Hi:) Would you give me a recommendation on tours in St Lucia, Curaco and Aruba?:D

:)

Lois, I'll chip in with a few really good recommendartions.

These are "Must Do Tours".

In Curacao, Try Curacao Actif. Ask for Anita. She took my wife and I on a beautiful tour of Curacao and she will take you where others are not. We did the Breathe of Curacao tour. Go to this link.

http://www.curacao-actief.com/

In Grenada take the Mandoo tour at www.grenadatours.com He loves his Island and he gives a GREAT tour.

I agree with Rick for St Lucia - take the Cosul tour at this link http://cosoltours.com/

I wasn't impressed with Aruba so I'll not make any recommendation.

:) Thanks for the information. I have so much time ahead of me

I just wanted to get a feel for what some of you have done.

I sail solo and usually go with the ship (unless I have a group from

a Roll Call).

Sometimes I have and sometimes not.....each sailing varies.

Lots of time for me to research;)

Still thinking I need to go buy a bottle of Hypnotic:D

Oh I also tried a coffee/chocolate tequilla in Puerta Vallarta.

It was soooooo fabulous I bought a bottle home with me!

Hey Donna:) well, if I bring the drinks...we can have

a party in your suite:D ;) oops...just invited myself over...

not sure what Tom will think:eek:

You two are soooo mean. You talk about the great cruise and I won't be there. Oh well, I already did it. I guess I should be satisfied. The only problem is I'm an addict and never satisfied.

Oh Rick...Rick...Rick:D ....just like all the folks going on Mercury

this Friday.....I want to go back with them too:eek: waaaaaaa

Sad thing is as you talk about the Mercury, Kathy and I were disappointed we weren't on ther Mercury a couple months ago. They had a CD ACD combo of Stewart Trunbull and Ian Cresswell. Sailed with both a number of times and had a blast with them. Would have loved to cruise with them together at their current positions.

Anytime we sail on another line, I can't wait to get back to X. It's just like going home. When we sailed on the Galaxy last month, it had been a year and a half since we had sailed on X and over 2 since the Galaxy. I couldn't believe all the old friends I ran into working on board.

That is the best thing about X being a smaller line, it's easy to run into old friends. One of the first thing we do anymore is look for friends as soon as we board. We board early and there's not much going on, so we have to find someone to pester.

Hi Lois --

Seeing the Pitons in St. Lucia is a MUST! So beautiful. I think it's my favorite island. My first time there, I did the Land and Sea tour that Chessbriar mentioned. It's really a great tour. BUT...if you are at all prone to car sickness, opt for the round-trip catamaran to the Pitons. I don't get car sick easy, but I was feeling miserable by the time we stopped for lunch.

I've also done the zip line in St. Lucia...very nice as well.

Aruba has some of the best snorkeling I've ever done if that interests you at all.

I made a great cocktail once with hypnotique, some vodka and pineapple juice. The pineapple juice turns it a bit green, though.

Sad thing is as you talk about the Mercury, Kathy and I were disappointed we weren't on ther Mercury a couple months ago. They had a CD ACD combo of Stewart Trunbull and Ian Cresswell. Sailed with both a number of times and had a blast with them. Would have loved to cruise with them together at their current positions.

Anytime we sail on another line, I can't wait to get back to X. It's just like going home. When we sailed on the Galaxy last month, it had been a year and a half since we had sailed on X and over 2 since the Galaxy. I couldn't believe all the old friends I ran into working on board.

That is the best thing about X being a smaller line, it's easy to run into old friends. One of the first thing we do anymore is look for friends as soon as we board. We board early and there's not much going on, so we have to find someone to pester.

Did you read my review? I must have known 20 or so crew.....

and all the waiters who were mine in the past:D

I thought I was the only one who boarded and starting looking for

people~ Oooyyyyy.....send me back to the ship PLEASE

Hi Lois --

Seeing the Pitons in St. Lucia is a MUST! So beautiful. I think it's my favorite island. My first time there, I did the Land and Sea tour that Chessbriar mentioned. It's really a great tour. BUT...if you are at all prone to car sickness, opt for the round-trip catamaran to the Pitons. I don't get car sick easy, but I was feeling miserable by the time we stopped for lunch.

I've also done the zip line in St. Lucia...very nice as well.

Aruba has some of the best snorkeling I've ever done if that interests you at all.

I made a great cocktail once with hypnotique, some vodka and pineapple juice. The pineapple juice turns it a bit green, though.

First...one of the bartenders suggested mixing the Hypnotique..but

I preferred it on the rocks...

and the Catamaran sounds lovely. I am not prone to sea or car sickness

but it does sound like a very long excursion.

I will look into the Catamaran Sail!

Did you read my review? I must have known 20 or so crew.....

and all the waiters who were mine in the past:D

I thought I was the only one who boarded and starting looking for

people~ Oooyyyyy.....send me back to the ship PLEASE

I really didn't start working at it until my second cruise. It wasn't intended, it was just someone we befriended on my first was suddenly the ACD. We didn't know coming on, it was when I read the daily program, I couldn't stop laughing. Ever since, we board and spend the day walking bar to bar, around the restaurant, through the foyer looking for old friends. On top of the fact, there are a number we keep in touch with via e-mail. Some have moved to shore and others to other cruiselines, but we keep in touch.

We started working to befriend the staff in 2004 on the Mercury. We realized we would be cruising for years to come, so why not make friends with the people we would see over and over again. The guests come and go, but the staff for the most part remain. It's been fun talking with people before realizing we sailed with them and never knew it.

X has a lot of good people on board, it's what makes sailing on X feel like coming home.

and the Catamaran sounds lovely. I am not prone to sea or car sickness

but it does sound like a very long excursion.

I will look into the Catamaran Sail!

What brings on the motion sickness in the van is not just the ride, it's the heat. If you do this one, do the van first. That way you unwind all the way back to the ship.

I really didn't start working at it until my second cruise. It wasn't intended, it was just someone we befriended on my first was suddenly the ACD. We didn't know coming on, it was when I read the daily program, I couldn't stop laughing. Ever since, we board and spend the day walking bar to bar, around the restaurant, through the foyer looking for old friends. On top of the fact, there are a number we keep in touch with via e-mail. Some have moved to shore and others to other cruiselines, but we keep in touch.

We started working to befriend the staff in 2004 on the Mercury. We realized we would be cruising for years to come, so why not make friends with the people we would see over and over again. The guests come and go, but the staff for the most part remain. It's been fun talking with people before realizing we sailed with them and never knew it.

X has a lot of good people on board, it's what makes sailing on X feel like coming home.

Rick, the 1st time I sailed Mercury was also in 2004.

My waiter is still on the ship....was there last year as well.

His name is Renante...from the Philipines...his nicname is

Tweety:D He was on there last week too!

Maybe I will know some of staff on Galaxy....but I won't know

that for sure till I board the ship;)

That's the tough thing is not knowing this far out. The way contracts change, they do bounce around. We had our best waiter and asst on Mercury Josef and Melwin. Melwin is now a Waiter, but where I don't know. We last saw him on Millinnium. We did run into one of our old waiters on Galaxy while we were there, he's now an Asst maitre'd, Raphael. He will likely be there when you sail, as will Tippy, martini bar, and Farieda event coordinator. The only way you will miss them is if they are on vacation. Galaxy is their home.

Having sailied on the Century and the Mercury, it will seem like an old friend. Of the three it's my least favorite. The decor is a little too modern, but notice, I've sailed on her 4 of my 9 X cruises. She's a great ship and we love her.

Hi Lois,

We've sailed Mercury, Infinity, and Summit. Of the three we think service/food on Mercury has been the best, so far.

Is this something or what? Wanda and I have been together 20 years, in that time I have seen her drink ONE tomato-beer. That is tomato juice and beer, if you ever tasted one you would know why she has only ever had the one.

I on the other hand take meds that preclude me from drinking (OK, I shouldn't drink). Every once in a great while I order a beer and "nurse" (ha ha "nurse", get it?) and once I had a cocktail to celebrate the last night of our Hawaii cruise.

I guess all the new stuff we have tried has been the food.......:D :D

Archived