just back from Constellation March 23- April 2

cheffip

This was our third cruise, and our first on Constellation. We thought the ship was gorgeous and in wonderful shape. The service across the board was uniformly excellent, friendly, and helpful. The one disappointment was the food in the San Marcos restaurant which was at times very good and at times pretty bad. It was definitely not up to the level of the meals we had on Horizon in 2005. On the other hand we thought the buffet was very good and the real find was the Aquaspa cafe where the "light" meals were very tasty and beautifully presented. We also had one meal at Ocean Liners that was a highlight for us. (By the way we missed seeing the parade of melons which was apparently cut a month ago). It was interesting to talk to other passengers who felt the dining was still better than their experience on Princess and RCI. All in all, a great cruise and we woke up this morning wishing we were still onboard, doing the back-to-back!!:rolleyes:

We just got off this cruise too. I agree about the service, condition & overall experience--EXCELLENT!!!! The dining room food was good, some VERY good and some not as good as in the past for us too, but we sure enjoyed the experience & the waitstaff outdid themselves!!!! The waiter--Tan--always brought us extra everything, every night for the entire table!!!! He was just wonderful!

We had the BEST group of people every night in the Martini bar (HUGE group) & we met some wonderful new and now lifelong friends!!! Many of us are cruising Connie again for the 9/15 TA!!!! Don Fluke told me he will be back on Connie then as CD.

Celebrity exceeded our expectations on this cruise without a doubt!!!:D

We are just back too....maybe our paths crossed, who knows! We dined every nnight but one in San Marco and we could not find a thing to complain about. The other evening was Ocean Liners, which was outstanding.

I felt that Service ranged from good to excellent in all areas of the ship, but was far from disappointing in any one at any time.

Would have preferred to remain on board myself!

Thank you for the recent reports! So glad to hear all of the positive comments regarding Constellation! We were on her in January, and cannot wait for our group cruise in March aboard Constellation!

Hi,

We were on this cruise too. I was very happy with the food at all the venues, though I did not go to Oceanliners. My eating strategy was to eat only the delicious, and to do so frequently throughout the day - there were many options. I grazed all day only on what I considered to be the tastiest offerings in the cafe (sushi, asian station, gourmet pizza, pasta, salad bar, home made ice cream, and burgers) the beautifully presented healthy options at the aqua spa, and the delicacies at the patisserie near the cova cafe (I will miss those almond croissants). My kids ordered room service about every day in the afternoon while they "chilled" in the room. By the time I got to dinner (late seating), I enjoyed the appetizers to the fullest, took a bite or two of the main entre, and saved room for the delectable deserts. If I was still up at midnight, I found the midnight appetizers unique and appealing.

I would highly recommend this wonderful cruiseline to anyone and recommend to them to follow my eating strategy - eat only the delectible as often as you wish. Don't hold back during the day while waiting for the perfect entre when you are one in 1900 being served a choice of 4 entres.

Lisa

Sorry you were disappointed with the food in the San Marco restaurant. We were on the cruise immediately prior to yours and thought the food was very good to excellent - exactly as it had been the four other times we sailed on Constellation.

You know what I think it is??? It the Turkey with fixin's night. It's not quite gourmet in subliminal thoughts, and I think it just sticks in such a strong way in the mind to be this one menu item that is so obscure it makes you wonder what the heck happened to end up here. Like running out of gas and hitting a brick wall combined.

They got the Lobster tails back to right, presenting them at a significant size to be considered a nice presentation and effectuate an embracement of the dining experience, but this Thanksgiving Turkey meal-deal is a sticking point for us every time we see it on the menu. And its a RCCL classic item too. :eek:

I love to eat this at Thanksgiving like nothing else. But then and only then, and definately not on my cruise. They do Duck nicely so they cover the fowl ideas that way and with the varied chicken dishes too...maybe if they did a half of a cornish hen and wild rice with a nice little sauce it would be a better impression then the T-Bird when it's not 'in season'.

Just IMHO....:o Otherwise it was ALL GOOD!!!!

You know what I think it is??? It the Turkey with fixin's night. It's not quite gourmet in subliminal thoughts, and I think it just sticks in such a strong way in the mind to be this one menu item that is so obscure it makes you wonder what the heck happened to end up here. Like running out of gas and hitting a brick wall combined.

LOL - but remember, one man's poison is another man's candy. If X removed every item from its menus that individual passengers disliked, we'd probably be staring at a blank page!

Funny you should mention it. I also used to stare at that and wonder why it was there. I remember people on past cruises ordering it and saying how good it was so on our Millie Med last May I ordered it. It was FABULOUS! No joke. Surprised the heck out of me........

We too just got off the Connie on Monday and had a great time. We met many new people, made new friends, caught up with some old friends, and generally enjoyed meeting all those we talked to either on the ship or on an excursion. Thanks to all of you who helped to make this such a fantastic trip. More and more we find that it is the people we look forward to as much as and sometimes more than other parts of the cruise. Cruising is a great way to meet so many people from so many parts of the world.

We too enjoyed the food on the ship for the most part; no, it is not a 5 star restaurant (but I don't know of any 5 star restaurant that serves 2,000 people on a nightly basis) but the food was just fine... there are a few dishes I have learned to avoid, but that is my preference. BTW, that "turkey with all the fixin's" dinner is a favorite of several people I know from the UK!!

They had my favorite appetizer, a potato and Montrachet cheese dish (which the waiter assured me had no fat and very few calories! :rolleyes: ) and a new one with salmon and cucumber that was delicious. Since I can't eat chocolate, I am sure I missed some of the better desserts, but I consoled myself with ice cream. Eating lunch at the Aqua Spa (their food is wonderful) helped negate some of those ice cream calories, I think! We also ate at Oceanliners several times, including one marvelous dinner in the Wine Room. The staff there knows how to give that special occasion feeling each time you dine there; superb service, exquisite food and a nice selection of wines make your visit there exceptional.

The Martini Bar is our favorite place for a drink in the evening, and this trip, the bar was filled to capacity almost every night. We were part of a large group of new and old friends that had a lot to do with that high capacity! The bar staff did a great job of keeping up with everyone, and we particularly enjoyed the entertainment of Ocha (sp?) the bartender. He mixes a great martini, and does some pretty great juggling with those shakers and vodka bottles. We enjoyed some of the new martinis, but also were pleased that the old ones could still be made. The Summer Solstice is an interesting drink to try; I quite liked it.

We found our aft cabin and large balcony to be in great shape; what can beat coffee on your deck each morning, mesmerized by that turquoise, azure and white wake of the ship? Our room steward, Enrico, and his assistant, Ramon, did a great job of keeping the cabin clean and fulfilling our few requests promptly and professionally.

The entertainment was not our cup of tea this time around. We had hoped that there would be more of a variance in appeal to the entertainment in the lounges, but I am sure many people thought it was perfect. We really missed having a guitar player on the aft deck in the afternoons for sailaway and at night for after dinner listening. It is interesting how the entertainment varies on each ship; we were thrilled with the guitar player on the Galaxy in February, and the piano player in the Galaxy Martini bar was good, although too loud for that room. Celebrity needs to make the level of the entertainers more consistent and of a higher quality, IMHO. We did not go to any of the shows, but heard some nice things said about them.

Ports of call were wonderful, if you go to St. Kitts and like catamarans, don't miss the Fan-ta-sea excursion.... what a hoot that trip was; the crew works hard to make sure everyone has fun!:D St. Maarten was a fun shopping stop and we had a great fresh seafood lunch at Orient Beach at a restaurant called Kakao. We did a catamaran trip in Barbados that is my all time favorite, and had a great day sail in St. Thomas. In St. Lucia, we went to Reduit Beach; although crowded, it was ok and we ate at Spinnakers (more fresh fish, yum!). Didn't have a disappointment in the bunch.

The CC party was fairly well attended, although not by the CD, much to my surprise. I think this is the first time that has happened. We were part of a pretty active group that ended up hanging out together at night a lot, and we have made some good friends.

We really enjoyed this trip (in case you couldn't tell! :rolleyes: ) and look forward to being on the Connie again as soon as we can figure out when to go!

Hi Sue,

thanks for the review.Wished I stay to for a back2back.

Gitte

Hi, Gitte, we wish you had too! Finally got a bridge tour this trip... absolutely fascinating and thoroughly enjoyable. Looked for you at the port but I am sure we got there after you had left.

Hope all is well across the pond...take care,

Sue summed it up extremely well....it was a great trip!!!! I agree that entertainment was an issue, so since someone brought it up before me, I second the emmotion.:D

There was a cold berry with coumin yogurt soup that was not to be believed. I could have had it every evening and never tired of it. I had that lo-cal montrachet and potato appy...had I known it was lo-cal, I imagine I would have eaten the whole darn thing. ;) It was a unique idea and presentation, and a nice suprise since it is something out of the ordinary, which is my idea of food fun. As absolutely always, all the veggies were out of this world. All the fish dishes I had were awesome too.

I miss the caviar so much though....:( Loved sitting in a quiet place, sipping and enjoying that in the past, many have opted out to the endangered status, so I do understand the need to preserve.

The cheese trolley in Ocean Liners is amazing and everyday selections found at home are familiar names with never had before outstanding flavour and texture from a Gourmet Cheese Trolley. So if you love cheese, this is for you and go with the veined. Good as well in the cheese department was the room service cheese platter and crackers. Same goodies as the Cheese Trolley. Don't be shy and try it pre-dinner while dressing or pre-Martini Bar. It's all good!!!!

The waffle bar and the pasta bar and the sushi area were all terrifiic as usual. I tried to stay away from the buffets so I could manage the weight gain, but thought there was a nice selection at any time. I did have a Hot Dog at the pool buffet, and I wanted one of those for weeks before boarding. A turkey burger was offered, but the 15 minutes was not a wait I wanted to go along with the for the hot dog, so it went solo, but I survived the loss. I'll bet it would have been good. Beef burgers, available and immediate. Now this was the one place I wanted Turkey :D .

Let me mention something about the beds. I am not sure if what the consensus is, but that is the best bed I ever slept on. If those are the beds that are going to the wayside at drydock, I want to be there to haul one away. I slept better than I ever have in my life in the bed in 9199 for those 10 days.

Lastly, the Bar at the edge of the Earth....I went to see it.. It's awful, time to go. Let's hope this is the single serious dry dock re-deaux project. Otherwise the atrium is magnificent and the style and fabrics and surprise pieces and niches were smiles along the way. Cova cafe service was top notch, the cappucino was perfect. The quantity and selections of art and sculpture on this particular ship were unexpected and plentiful. This is the single most important item that sets this ship apart from all the others that is Celebrity and is the best part of the dollars that are spent on the many of the RCCL ships as a standard and seemingly without abandon. Lush, fun, fanciful and a treat for the eyes with all the right enjoyment for ambiance at all the well thought out focal points.

I wish I didn't just come back, because when I recall all these nice things, I am ready to pack my bags and go again this minute.

Have fun planning!!!! This is a wonderful ship.

Sue summed it up extremely well....it was a great trip!!!! I agree that entertainment was an issue, so since someone brought it up before me, I second the emmotion.:D Thanks, Cheryl!

I had that lo-cal montrachet and potato appy...had I known it was lo-cal, I imagine I would have eaten the whole darn thing. ;) It was a unique idea and presentation, and a nice suprise since it is something out of the ordinary, which is my idea of food fun. I have had that on several trips; this is the one I should avoid but eat every last little bit.

The cheese trolley in Ocean Liners is amazing and everyday selections found at home are familiar names with never had before outstanding flavour and texture from a Gourmet Cheese Trolley. So if you love cheese, this is for you and go with the veined. Good as well in the cheese department was the room service cheese platter and crackers. Same goodies as the Cheese Trolley. Don't be shy and try it pre-dinner while dressing or pre-Martini Bar. It's all good!!!! We had the cheese plate several times at sailaway and the cheese is awesome.... just needs a few more crackers to with it!

The waffle bar and the pasta bar and the sushi area were all terrifiic as usual. I tried to stay away from the buffets so I could manage the weight gain, but thought there was a nice selection at any time. I did have a Hot Dog at the pool buffet, and I wanted one of those for weeks before boarding. A turkey burger was offered, but the 15 minutes was not a wait I wanted to go along with the for the hot dog, so it went solo, but I survived the loss. I'll bet it would have been good. Beef burgers, available and immediate. Now this was the one place I wanted Turkey :D . Their veggie burgers are good too; thanks to the Aqua Spa, and some exercise, I have 3 pounds to lose. Not too bad, thank goodness. Never mind the rest that should also come off! :rolleyes:

Let me mention something about the beds. I am not sure if what the consensus is, but that is the best bed I ever slept on. If those are the beds that are going to the wayside at drydock, I want to be there to haul one away. I slept better than I ever have in my life in the bed in 9199 for those 10 days. Maybe the motion of the ship helped too? I am sure it was not those after dinner martinis or the wine at dinner that helped me sleep better!

I wish I didn't just come back, because when I recall all these nice things, I am ready to pack my bags and go again this minute. Ok, let's go. We could surely slip in somehow... someone might lend us those great lounge chairs on the aft balconies to snooze in!! ;)

Have fun planning!!!! This is a wonderful ship.

I imagine that we would all hop right on again if we could. Sigh!!!

Is there any charge for food in the Aqua Spa?

MARAPRINCE

No, there is no charge. Their food is absolutely delicious and the staff of the specialty restaurant, Oceanliners, runs the cafe. If you like salmon, they have a wonderful salmon dish; the blueberry tart is great too. Lots of healthy, low fat but great tasting food available there all day.

I don't know about the individual pizza delivery to the rooms... never done that.

Maraprince...YES they are, my husband had one. Comes in a cute little pizza box too. We found best was to order everything from the interactive TV and it was there in no time. And yes, I second that Aquaspa has some very eye catching, creative and tasty offernings you will want to try.

Sue I did brave it and get on the scale....you were a good girl and Larry a champ with your exercise routines. I saw you two and said...wow! ;) I was not so good in that department, but did walk a bit....Ed has yet to agree to scale the damage...:o

cruiser susie,

Glad to know the pizza still there! On the Galaxy, they had "gourmet bites" which you had to be in the right place at the right time -- we never seemed to be! So the pizza to the cabin worked fine for us!

Talking about the interactive TV ordering, on the Galaxy we were waiting for our food order to show up. After waiting 30 minutes, we called only to find out our order didn't exist! That was the last time we tried it.

On the Constellation, we never ordered the pizza to the cabin. Glad that is an alternative!

Aqua Spa sounds good. I like salmon and not overseasoned food with lots of sauces. So I may want to try it to see what they offer.

Thanks for the heads up.

MARAPRINCE

The waiters with the gourmet bites, we usually have to chase them and your right you have to be in the right place at the right time or your not getting anything. they should at least set up a little table in the lounges.

Another triple thumbs up for the chilled berry and cumin yoghurt soup and the warm Montrachet and Potato Gratin appetiser. Yum. The chilled strawberry soup was also very good.

Phil, on the whole I found this to be the best food of any of the previous Celebrity cruises. Our waiter was good at telling us which dishes were worthwhile having and which were not so good. The only meal that I didn't care for was the veal on the last night and I missed the turkey with all the trimmings on the menu and would have had that. Fortunately I had it on Century the week after and it was GOOD. Sue, I know, it's a UK thing:o

Cheryl, it was great sharing a table with you and Ed and I hope we get to meet up on another cruise someday.

Phil

Phil

I agree with you about the chilled soups - they were excellent in the restaurant (except the garlic soup) and terrific in the Aquaspa cafe. The duck (and the turkey) were also excellent but we found the beef and fish to be hit and miss. Our waiter, Putu, seemed to gain confidence in making recommendations through the week and that helped. Since I'm faced with our cafeteria food again starting tomorrow, I'd certainly be thrilled to be back dining again on the Constellation anytime. :D

-Phil C

Phil

we were late also so we must have been nearby. Glad you had a great cruise and I agree with your "10" rating for the Constellation. Do you have other favorites in the Celebrity fleet?

-Phil C

Archived