Tattooed and SOOO Appreciative!

Hello all... I've been a member of this group for a while but I don't often post. I've cruised twice before and am getting ready for my Voyager Cruise to Europe on June 23rd (can't wait!)

I wanted to relay my story to you all. I was recently inspired to post this as a result of another column about people with positive experiences despite adversity....

So... Before my last cruise, I decided to post a response to a "cruiser" who was complaining about the freaky tattooed people he viewed on his last cruise. I was a little hurt being a tattooed freak myself. I am a 34 year old mother of 1 (12 year old apple of my eye) and have been married for 14 years. I am an active career woman but I have very prominent, very large tattoos on both of my arms and part of my back.

Being that I was about to set sail on my first Caribbean cruise aboard Carnival sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, I was concerned that I would come across similarly intolerant people on my cruise. I was assured by many of you on these same boards that as long as I took along my positive attitude and charming disposition, I would have no problem.

So armed with this renewed sense of self, me and my DH took our much deserved trip and had an absolute blast. We even hooked up with a group of 4 older ladies from Atlanta Georgia and spent two wonderful excursions with them. They were all curious about my tattoos and we spent several minutes discussing the "why, when and hows" of my body art. I spoke to the oldest of the four ladies about my previous concerns regarding people's attitudes towards my tattoos and she told me, "Oh honey. You have to understand that in my day, only sailers and criminals had tattoos. But now alot of people have them. But don't worry. One look at your pretty face and I knew you weren't a bad person. I think you're great."

No lie... she made me cry a little bit. This will be my first Royal Caribbean cruise and I am very much looking forward to it. I just wanted to thank all of you for your support and encouragement and I am simply delighted to be a part of such a wonderful group. Thank you all.

My grandmother used to say "you can't please all of the people all of the time," and "If they talked bad about jesus what makes you think they won't talk bad about you". ;) If your pleased with your art work no reasons to care what anyone else thinks at all. I am 34 and thinking of getting my first tattoo. My mom is 55 and has four that all very pretty and tasteful. Enjoy your life, your cruises, and family. :)

Thank you so much for the kind words. Obviously, when you get a tattoo, you have to prepare yourself for the inevitable stereotyping but sometimes you wish people were more open minded about the "types" of people who get tattoos.

I've been blogging my trip for the last month as I go thru the hassles of getting passports for everyone in my party and preparing myself for the torture that will be henceforth referred to as "packing". I normally have my pack mule- I mean husband, carry most of the heavy luggage but no such luck on this trip.

This trip is all about me and my cousin and our respective mamas. So! This means I'll have to pack a little lighter than usual. In keeping with my positive outlook, this will mean that I have that much more room to pack goodies I pick up while on my trip!

As a 41 yr old mother of two little girls ( 2 and 3 ). I just got my first tattoo on my ankle and I can not wait to show it off. They are so much more acceptable today than they were years ago. Some people may stare and judge you but then again those are the same people who stare at Large people, skinny people, people that have different clothes than the "norm". You get my drift. Obviously you are proud of your tats otherwise you would never have gotten them. SHOW them OFF on your cruise and don't even worry about others

Hello all... I've been a member of this group for a while but I don't often post. I've cruised twice before and am getting ready for my Voyager Cruise to Europe on June 23rd (can't wait!)

I wanted to relay my story to you all. I was recently inspired to post this as a result of another column about people with positive experiences despite adversity....

So... Before my last cruise, I decided to post a response to a "cruiser" who was complaining about the freaky tattooed people he viewed on his last cruise. I was a little hurt being a tattooed freak myself. I am a 34 year old mother of 1 (12 year old apple of my eye) and have been married for 14 years. I am an active career woman but I have very prominent, very large tattoos on both of my arms and part of my back.

Being that I was about to set sail on my first Caribbean cruise aboard Carnival sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale, I was concerned that I would come across similarly intolerant people on my cruise. I was assured by many of you on these same boards that as long as I took along my positive attitude and charming disposition, I would have no problem.

So armed with this renewed sense of self, me and my DH took our much deserved trip and had an absolute blast. We even hooked up with a group of 4 older ladies from Atlanta Georgia and spent two wonderful excursions with them. They were all curious about my tattoos and we spent several minutes discussing the "why, when and hows" of my body art. I spoke to the oldest of the four ladies about my previous concerns regarding people's attitudes towards my tattoos and she told me, "Oh honey. You have to understand that in my day, only sailers and criminals had tattoos. But now alot of people have them. But don't worry. One look at your pretty face and I knew you weren't a bad person. I think you're great."

No lie... she made me cry a little bit. This will be my first Royal Caribbean cruise and I am very much looking forward to it. I just wanted to thank all of you for your support and encouragement and I am simply delighted to be a part of such a wonderful group. Thank you all.

I am almost twice your age. 5 years ago I decided I was going to get something I secretly had always wanted for 30 + years, a tattoo.

I told my family. When they picked themselves off the floor from laughing and saw I was not kidding, they all came with me. The whole blooming family to watch.

I knew it would be a mouse. (If you see my avatar you might see why.)

My daughter actually picked out the one I got.

An adorable BLUE MOUSE with BIG PINK EARS.

I was going to put it on my back shoulder but she said as long as you are getting one, put it where people can see it. So, I had it put on the lower inside of my leg above my ankle.

I do not regret having that tattoo put on and I love it. What other people think of me or my tattoo, I could care less. As long as my husband accepts me and my tattoo, so be it. That was something for "ME" and no one else. ;)

I am a 35 year old woman. I have 2 great sons 13 & 11. I have been married for 15 years. I am very active in local politics, and have held prominent elected positions. I am also well known in the local business community. I am also tattooed.

As they say.............though shall not judge, lest ye be judged themselves.

If someone wants to judge me for my choice of self expression, maybe they should look inward to why they feel the need to judge someone else.

I wear my tattooes proudly!

I have nothing whatsoever against tattoos (both my sister and daughter have one) and, honestly, would love to get one and even have a design picked out.

What stops me? I'm an active plasma and blood donor and once I get a tattoo that stops. So, I've made the choice to hold off (on the other hand,I'm50..how much longer can I hold off? ;) )

But, I simply cannot abide people who have nothing better than to judge people on superficial perceptions. I'm glad you had a great experience and that you continue to enjoy future cruises with similar enjoyment.

My DH has 7 or 8 tattoos....when I first met him, I thought "oh no tattoos"....we just celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary! Tattooing has become so accepted and such an art these days you have NOTHING to worry about. Enjoy your cruise!

What a great story!! Thanks for sharing it with all of us! Its stories like these that make people think before they judge based on superficial things!

Happy Cruising!

What stops me? I'm an active plasma and blood donor and once I get a tattoo that stops. So, I've made the choice to hold off (on the other hand,I'm50..how much longer can I hold off? ;) )

I got my tattoo at 21, and DH has three tattooes, all probably 15 years or more old. We've both been blood donors, have told the donation places that we have them (and how long it has been), and they haven't had issues with it.

I recognize that things might have changed. But it wasn't a problem when we were donating a few years ago (I now have an issue with needles so can't do it, bleah). :confused:

Just looked it up on Red Cross:

Tattoo

Wait 12 months after a tattoo if the tattoo was applied in a state that does not regulate tattoo facilities. This requirement is related to concerns about hepatitis. Learn more about hepatitis and blood donation.

Acceptable if the tattoo was applied by a state-regulated entity using sterile technique. Only a few states currently regulate tattoo facilities, so most donors with tattoos must wait 12 months after tattoo application before donating blood. You should discuss your particular situation with the health historian at the time of donation.

So yeah, you'd likely have to wait a year, but if you really want one, that year will likely go by fast. (I recognize that some could take that as putting one's wants over others' needs...but IMO at some point, our wants CAN take precedence, especially if it only means a delay)

I too used to feel like that after I ciompleted my time in the Marine corp back in 06. All my tats have a meaning and I love telling the story to those that inquire. Its a shame that this day and age some people still feel the need to stereo type...and the funny thing is that all of my tats stay concealled while I am in my profession attire so one could never tell that I have any unless I wear a shirt like the one in the photo..(if it showed up :D)

1023257869_DreChillin3new.jpg.d30494f3eceb16447b25195843585674.jpg

I too used to feel like that after I ciompleted my time in the Marine corp back in 06. All my tats have a meaning and I love telling the story to those that inquire. Its a shame that this day and age some people still feel the need to stereo type...and the funny thing is that all of my tats stay concealled while I am in my profession attire so one could never tell that I have any unless I wear a shirt like the one in the photo..(if it showed up :D)

That's the kind of shirt that accidentally informed my MIL that DH had tattooes...:p He had hidden them from her for over 10 years, then had to move back in with her as an adult, and totally forgot to hide them. She's older, and though was married to a sailor since after the Korean War (she's Korean), she HATES tattooes. Every so often she STILL yells at DH about them...:rolleyes:

Not sure she's ever managed to notice my ankle tat, even at our wedding when I wore strappy shoes with no nylons! (gasp, no nylons in a wedding gown!) (reason = outdoor wedding at 100 degrees!) :p

Very nice tats, The world would be such a better place if we just live and let live and not be so quick to judge. I am originally from Brooklyn NY and now live in Baltimore. My experience has been people from Big cities are more tolerant of things. What do I care if your tatted from head toe? I have better things to worry about like WAR, and HIGH gas prices, and if my TA will find me a price drop for my next cruise.:D

I don't have a tattoo. It's not that I'm against them, it's just not something I've ever wanted for myself. I've got a great story about a tattoo though. My grandmother, who was born in England in 1898 and was approaching 70 when I was born, had a big ole tat on the upper part of her left arm that she had had done when she was 16 years old. It was a big anchor with the name of a guy (who was NOT my grandfather:D ) underneath the anchor. I always loved that dumb tattoo and I was fascinated with the thoughts of a young girl in 1914 getting a tattoo done. She married my grandfather when she was 18 and HE used to love to tell the tattoo story:D . She died at age 98 and even the funeral director who was about 30 years old had a great laugh hearing all about it.

My response to anyone who questions my tattoos is this:

My body is my temple, and if I want a little stained-glass, who am I hurting?

All of mine are placed where I can cover them or not, depending on the situation, and I try not to be "in your face" with them, but honestly, I do get more positive feedback than negative.

I didn't start getting tattoos myself until I was 49. Now 3 years later, both of my lower legs, inner & outer sides, have multiple tats. My son paid for my very 1st tat. My daughter on the other hand, thinks I have gone off the deep end. No one knows they are there unless I choose to show them off. LOL. I tend to forget that they are there most days.

Tattoos are kind of like Potato Chips...you can never just have one! :D

How do you get around giving blood if you cruise? I thought that you couldn't give blood for 6 - 12 months if you have been out of the country? I haven't been able to give since 2000, after we took our first cruise, because we take at least 1 cruise a year.:rolleyes:

It seems to be a matter of which countries you've been to and the cumulative amount of time. The only place that ever gave anyone pause was Labadee because it's technically a part of Haiti,but when I explained what it was, it was allowed.

Fromthe Red Cross website:

Travel Outside of U.S., Immigration

Wait 12 months after travel in an area where malaria is found. Wait 3 years after living in a country where malaria is found. Persons who have spent long periods of time in countries where "mad cow disease" is found are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about variant Creutzfeld Jacob Disease (vCJD). Learn more about vCJD and donation. Persons who were born in or who lived in certain countries in Western Africa, or who have had close contact with persons who were born in or who lived in certain West African countries are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about HIV Group O. Learn more about HIV Group O, and the specific African countries where it is found.

How do you get around giving blood if you cruise? I thought that you couldn't give blood for 6 - 12 months if you have been out of the country? I haven't been able to give since 2000, after we took our first cruise, because we take at least 1 cruise a year.:rolleyes:

I think its if you have been horse back riding out of the country:eek: I know I couldn't donate after horse back riding in Mazatlan for 1 year.

But as far as being out of the country, I have not had a problem when I donate.. humm

I think its if you have been horse back riding out of the country:eek: I know I couldn't donate after horse back riding in Mazatlan for 1 year.

But as far as being out of the country, I have not had a problem when I donate.. humm

I'm thinking that horses don't have anything to do with it.:confused: We were in Labadee, Haiti, in December and now my Dad has to wait a certain period of time before he can give blood again. I thought it was a malaria thing.

It's interesting but the only time I was really upset about having to show off my tattoos was when I was invited to be an attendant at my brother in law's wedding. He was having a traditional Catholic Wedding and the bridesmaids had to wear halter top dresses.

I was mortified. I love my tattoos but I've never gone to church with any of them prominently displayed. But my brother in law begged and pleaded so I relented. So I put on the dress.... I slowly slinked into the church... and I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and who is standing right next to me? The priest. He smiles at me and says, "I love the tattoos on your left arm". I blushed and said thank you and felt great the rest of the day. (Mind you, the tattoos on my left arm consist of a Rosary, a Celtic Cross, and the image of the Virgin Mary based on the Sculpture called La Pieta, but I digress). It was pretty great to have the Priest approve.

I will, however ensure that they are all well covered when I go to Rome (but that's because the Vatican has pretty strict rules regarding baring your arms at all.)

I spoke to the oldest of the four ladies about my previous concerns regarding people's attitudes towards my tattoos and she told me, "Oh honey. You have to understand that in my day, only sailers and criminals had tattoos. But now alot of people have them. But don't worry. One look at your pretty face and I knew you weren't a bad person. I think you're great."

And I think that's the thing... many years ago, that was the stereotype, and I'm sure it was reinforced when I was growing up too, as in "only sailors and criminals have tatoos, so you better not get one". The thing is that you were willing to have the dialog and willing to answer questions. If you were rude to them, it would have reinforced the stereotype. The other thing is that if one has body art, then one should understand that someone will "stare," and sometimes it's not really staring. It's "looking" for a long time because there is so much to see. My daughter was "staring" at one of the personal trainer's tatoo at our local gym, and she exclaimed afterwards, "Wow, there were a lot of trees." I guess it was an entire scene of something...which I didn't see because I didn't want to stare. :-)

Glad you had a great time and met some wonderful people!

I am 35, mother of a 6 & 7 yr old, college educated and currently trying to get into nursing school, and VP and soon to be Pres of the PTA and have tattoos..lol..I LOVE them...I only have two and one can only bee seen by hubby but the other is on my ankle. I see nothing wrong with them. I got them when I turned 30, don't ask me why but turning 30 I had this wild stage go through me. Anyhoots, I want another now, two red cheeries with stems that are attached at the top but I am not sure where to put them. Any suggesstions? If I could figure that out I would get it!!!

Happy Tattooing!!!

BTW...funny how some cannot tell their parents, even when the they are grown up! My hubby has a tattoo and his Dad still doesn't know! His family found it but freaks out when it slips out of his shirt because they don't want his Dad to know. With me..lol..I got mine and proudly showed my parents..lol

It seems to be a matter of which countries you've been to and the cumulative amount of time. The only place that ever gave anyone pause was Labadee because it's technically a part of Haiti,but when I explained what it was, it was allowed.

Fromthe Red Cross website:

Travel Outside of U.S., Immigration

Wait 12 months after travel in an area where malaria is found. Wait 3 years after living in a country where malaria is found. Persons who have spent long periods of time in countries where "mad cow disease" is found are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about variant Creutzfeld Jacob Disease (vCJD). Learn more about vCJD and donation. Persons who were born in or who lived in certain countries in Western Africa, or who have had close contact with persons who were born in or who lived in certain West African countries are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about HIV Group O. Learn more about HIV Group O, and the specific African countries where it is found.

Things sure have changed since I last gave blood. :o

The last time, I waited in line for an hour and then went through the screening process, only to find I was not eligible because I had been to Mexico. There was a long list of places, that prevented you from giving blood. I just assumed regulations were still the same...especially with the AIDS epidemic. The website doesn't list the places anymore. How am I suppose to know where malaria is found?

Anyway, my church is holding a blood drive and I just told the person in charge that I couldn't give because I was just in Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I guess I can give after all!

As for tattoos...I never cared for them and was raised to look down on someone that had them. No person in my family has them and I only know two people that do. However, after reading some of these post, I realize that people with tattoos are just ordinary people, executives, PTA presidents, etc....just like me! :)

Archived