ss Rotterdam open in 2008

De Rotterdam BV (shipowners) have made public that the s.s. Rotterdam will be open to the public as of 31 March 2008.

Mr. Elemans (manager) expects that the ship will be towed to Rotterdam between half December and half January. The remaining period will be needed to put the ship into operation.

Source: RTV Rijnmond http://www.rijnmond.nl/Homepage/Regionieuws/Nieuws?itemid=43055

= = =

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards

Willem H. van der Leek

"It's good to see a well-run site!"

http://www.vdleek.nl

I am happy that the Rotteredam is safe from the Indian Breakers in Alang and is looking so good! Too bad all that money spent on her could not have made her seaworthy once again...she certainly looks seaworthy!

I regret that a similar arrangement was not made to save that grand old lady SS Norway (France) from those Indians and their blowtorches in Alang!

Long live the Rotterdam and long live the Norway for we shall never see ships like them again in the future...I am willing to bet there are people who go on cruises today and have no idea what teak decks look like!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 2 months later...
Has anyone stayed at the Rotterdam Hotel and any idea how it is doing?

Perhaps, a way to save the SS United States??

SS Rotterdam was financed with funds that were supposed to go to Public Housing, causing quite a scandal in Holland when the news was made public.

Despite the huge amount of money spent, only a small percentage of Rotterdam was renovated and opened to the public.

The berthing location is central in the city, but access is not very good.

The parts of the ship that were renovated are very nice - except Ocean Bar, which is an embarrassment. Occupancy for the Hotel is very low, resulting in ongoing financial losses.

SS Rotterdam will end up going bankrupt, like every other Liner/Hotel/Museum ship before her - and after her.

Queen Mary has been hotel before that and is still going, there is supposed to be a announcement today on the SS United States, I would have loved to try the Rotterdam it was one of my favorite cruise ships, cruised her in 1977 and 1978

Queen Mary has been hotel before that and is still going, there is supposed to be a announcement today on the SS United States, I would have loved to try the Rotterdam it was one of my favorite cruise ships, cruised her in 1977 and 1978

To the best of my knowlege, Queen Mary Hotel has only gone bankrupt once - so far. She has never made any profit. The owners would love to sell her, but nobody wants to buy a money loser.

Edited by BruceMuzz

EVERYBODY wants to try the SS Roterdam Hotel - except most of them are on fixed retirement incomes and cannot or will not afford to visit her.

If we could just convince the public to put their money where their mouths are, these great classic ships would not be lost to us.

To the best of my knowlege, Queen Mary Hotel has only gone bankrupt once - so far. She has never made any profit. The owners would love to sell her, but nobody wants to buy a money loser.

You might want to do more research into that comment, sir. What was is not now.