kidney dialysis

hardheartedhannah

Try this board...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

When I was trying to get info about taking hypodermics with me for my 2 year old's medication, they were very helpful.

If that doesn't work, then simply try to go to each cruiseline's web site and look for their "special needs dept"

I remember reading something specially on the RCCL web site about dialysis but now I can't remember what it was. :confused: I'll see if I can find it.

If this is for a child, I would think twice about cruising. Medical staff on board cruise ships are not pediatricians and I would not trust something as serious as pediatric dialysis to someone who's not specifically trained in pediatrics and kidney disease.

My understanding is that cruise lines will make these arrangements (trained nurses are given free cruises for taking care of the dialysis while they cruise). Cruise lines will do their best to make cruising accessible to everyone. The people over on the disabled cruise travel board are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Best,

Mia

does anyone know if any cruise ships has this machine for their passengers?

Give this a shot:

www.dialysisatsea.com

They were on the Brilliance with us recently, and my girlfriend went to look at the facilities (future possibility for her sister). I may be able to answer a few questions. No promises!

• 2 weeks later...

Have to add, being an ICU nurse, even the most stable patients have blood pressure issues post dialysis. Because the ships nurses are "trained" it doesn't mean they've actually done this in a very long time, they're just "certified". Also if you have blood pressure problems that result from inexperience, or just result, the ship infirmary cannot accomodate your family member on a levophed or dopamine drip for the cruise duration, they'll have to be moved off ship.

If you choose to do this, have the best insurance possible and call them in advance to ensure that prexisting conditions do not apply to hemodialysis induced hypotention or other issues... what if your electrolytes need adjustment?

I'm not trying to scare you out of this, but be very prepared and consider speaking to the infirmary RN staff that will actually be on your cruise ahead of time to ask of their qualifications and knowlege of treatment of complications as well as their protocols for off ship transfers with those complications.

wish you well

carol

Archived