What do you think of this cruise?

Orcrone

I don't get the attraction. I could see it if the ships were in port for days at a time giving you a chance to explore the country, but according to this article, time in port is usually limited.

So what do you get.....more days for less money (more isn't necessarily better)......a lot of time to yourself (I get that now)......more days at sea (I'm an itinerary focused person)......no bother about clothes (I look forward to dressing up a little)......simple meals (a cruise is my escape from the simple meals I make for myself).

I can understand that some people may wish to get away from the crowds and the set routine and enjoy the open sea, but I'm afraid there isn't enough here for me.

I'll pass.

I think I could make it work as an alternative to the Witness Protection Program, but since I'm not in any trouble with the law they can assign my cabin to someone who is. ;)

You mean we'd actually have to pay them to stay in a dingy little cabin on a ship with no pool, no waiters, no bartenders...

...while the guys next door are getting paid to do the same thing?

No, no, definitely not. Where is the cushy pampering we have all grown to love?

I can't see wearing my favorite formal night dresses while walking between containers on the deck.

I am proud of the adventurous souls who travel this way though.

I don't think so :(

Some friends of mine and I have been thinking about doing one of those Windjammer Barefoot Cruises as a buddies vacation.

But that cargo ship looks just a little too rustic to me>

I totally want to try it at least.

It’s very different than cruising. I did some research, it’s not as rustic as you think. It’s very favorable for solo travelers as there is often no single supplement. It’s main purpose is for passage IMO. There are amenities like a indoor pool, and they say the cabins are as good as cruise ships . But the most interesting thing is the free access to the ship, the bridge, the galley, they say you can go in and raid the fridge, and you can eat with the officers or the crew, they have room stewards and waiters etc.

I would like to try a passage to Europe. Some good info found here http://www.geocities.com/freighterman.geo/mainmenu.html

Mark….

What would make this worthwhile would be to construct a "backpacking" trip - use the ship to get to a port, get off and explore, pick up another ship to another port, etc. keep on going until you find your way back home...

:) I have taken 2 of these cruises , one on a container ship and one on a freighter. I found them to be relaxing and very interesting. They hit many intersting and some times off beat ports, but unfortunately are usually docked in the ass end of town. Food was outstanding but it can be good or bad depending on the cook signed on for your trip. Believe it or not most have a gym and many have pools, mostly indoor. There is an outfit called TRAVLTIPS that specializes in these cruises located at P.O. BOX 270, Northport, N.Y. 11768 tel (800) 228-2330 You can subscribe to a magazine they offer that comes out about every 2 months. If nothing else it makes for some very interesting reading. They list and advertize many freighter and conventional cruiises. It contains letters, reviews and artricles on these cruises.

My wife's aunt is married to a retired US Naval Officer. He retired from the USS Kitty Hawk and loved the sea. She didn't like it but would take this type of cruise with him. It wasn't for any of the cruise amenities but for the love of the sea (him, not her). Schedules are almost non-existant. You're never sure when you'll get into ... or out of a port.

They are now in their 90's and don't do it any more. He loved it. She tolerated it.

Archived