China trip leaving May 8th.

npphotog

Anyone going with us to China with Vantage Travel leaving May 8th.

Willard

Willard - Some posters on the Viking China thread are going in May on various lines (not just Viking). Great tips there on preparing for the trip.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=252201

I should have something posted from my 4/10 China (returning 5/1) trip before you leave.

WIT

Hi - we just got back from Uniworld's Imperial China. We booked that particular one because March was the only time we could go, and Uniworld was the only outfit running at the time. While it was a bit chilly, the trip itself was flawless. We were also pleased that there were very few tourists around. Wonderful hotels, and every meal we ate except one (at the airport in Yichang) was really, really good.

The water level seemed a bit low when we boarded in Chongqing, but our trip wasn't affected by it at all. We were on Victoria Prince. I can't help you with the particulars of your trip, but if you're on the same ship, I can answer any questions about that. I'd also be willing to be that many of the excursions and restaurants would be the same if you have any other questions.

Amy

Hi Amy - We are scheduled to be on the Victoria Star for 5 days, 4 nights. I have had so many folks ask me to bring them back a "fake Rolex" that I'm not sure I can get them through customs. I will scatter them in both suit cases and both carry ons. Want to buy my wife a dark blue or black chinese dress with gold on the front. Any thoughts on where I should look for the best prices????? Willard

Hi Willard - looks like you're my neighbor, we're in Safety Harbor.

Victoria Star is, I think, a sister to Prince. Their deck plans look identical at any rate. You'll be very comfortable on her.

As for shopping, unless you have a couple of hours of free time in either Shanghai or Beijing to hit the famous markets, you're going to be pretty limited to the "factories" the tour takes you to. There's a silk factory in Shanghai where I bought a duvet. They had the largest selection of silk clothing I saw. I also remember some at the Ba da Ling hotel in Beijing, which is where you can shop on the Great Wall tour. The hotel is sort of a staging area, and there is quite a bit of shopping inside, including an antiques room. There are outside vendors from the hotel to the wall that you'll have to pass, and you can bargain with them. They're pretty aggressive. You might find the Folex watches there. There are also a ton of street vendors all over China that will chase you with "Rolex and Gucci" but I didn't buy any, so I can't speak to the quality. I imagine they're much the same as the ones on Canal Street in NY.

Someone also mentioned the jade "factory" and they did seem to have the best jade and good prices. There is also a pearl market, which is not the same as the famous Pearl Market that houses all those knock-offs that people bring back. I think there was also a cloisionne factory, and one or two others. They're not factories, of course, just enormous stores with some "workers" off to the side that jump up off the stool where they've been smoking when they hear that a tour bus has pulled up outside. They then begin feverishly carving or weaving or whatever they're supposed to be doing. It's all quite interesting though to see how things are made. Our guide told us which places allowed bargaining and which didn't.

We started our tour in Shanghai and ended in Beijing, and our tour guide kept telling us to keep the shopping to a minimum because you could get everthing in Beijing. I'm glad I bought the silk duvet in Shanghai, though, because we never saw them again.

Just be aware that they're pretty squirrely about luggage on intra-China flights. You can only check one bag, period. Everything else must be carried on, so figure that into your packing.

We had an extra night in Shanghai and were grateful for it. It's a beautiful city, and we would have missed a few spots if we had flown in and started our tour right away.

Hi WIT - Awaiting your trip report. Have you heard anything about low water on the Yangtze? Willard

Willard - I have heard of drought conditions in Western China, but I understood that much of the flow was melt off the Tibetan glacier. ot much either of us can do now except to prepare for some extra bus rides?

WIT

Hello Amy of amyr,

We are on Uniworld "Highlights of China and the Yangtze" tour/cruise, listed start date May 16. That start date is when others leave the U. S. We arrive in Beijing May 16 on our own JAL air. It looks as though your trip was about the reverse of that which ours will be. We go Beijing, Xi'an, Yangtze, and Shanghai, in that order.

We have a few questions. I hope you have time to answer. Our hotels are Kempinski, Sheraton, and Regal International, in that order for the three cities. From the Uniworld brochure, it looks as though yours were the same except your Tianlun Dynasty in Beijing. All the hotels appear to be good. I was disappointed at first that the Kempinski is some distance from Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City, but have now decided that our location has its benefits.

I have read several times that we do not want to drink the tap water in China, and that bottled water is cheap, and safe if you are careful to make certain the seal is unbroken. Do the hotels give you plenty of bottled water in your room? Does the river ship also give you plenty? Is the ice in the hotels and the restaurants safe? And on the ship?

My wife wants to know the type dress recommended for the evenings when we have the duck dinner and go to Chinese opera. As for me, I intend to have only one sport coat and a couple of ties.(Well, I will have a shirt to wear also.) Will that be satisfactory?

How did you find the walking on the tours? It appears that you are somewhat younger than we are. We are really old. We'll make judgment decisions as to whether to take a tour or skip it when the time comes. I can probably swim better than I sometimes walk.

We won't want to purchase very much. We are going to Japan for ten nights on our own after China. My wife likes pearls. She just now yelled at me that she wants to find pearls and cloisonné in China and Japan.

We have been on Uniworld from Bucharest to Budapest. Except for a few minor problems, we found them to be good.

Thank you for any response you can provide.

Bob :cool:

Hi Willard,

I'll send you an email. We're leaving on the Celebrity Constellation transatlantic on Thursday, so will be out of pocket for a while, but maybe we can get together when we get back. At the very least, I can subject you to the DVD I've made of the trip.

Bob, you're right on all the hotels. I wouldn't worry about the location at all. Unless you have days on your own, it won't matter where you're located anyway as they will haul you around. The Sheraton in Xi'an was very nice, and that was where we had our only "dinner on our own" during the whole trip. It was paid for, of course, but we ate in the hotel dining room at our leisure. The had a marvelous Italian buffet, and we were delighted not to be eating Chinese food for one meal :) We also really enjoyed the Regal International. Very nice rooms and a great breakfast buffet. It's located in the French Concession, which is a lovely area, but we didn't see much of it. Do you have any extra time in Shanghai at the end? If you do, be sure to head to Nanjing Road. We went during the day and in the evening, and it was marvelous. Great department stores at one end and a pedestrian mall at the other, leading up to the Bund.

As for walking, I went with my mom (74) and my aunt (66) and uncle (70). The other couple that made up our group of six were in their 80s, and the woman had terrible trouble with her feet, neuromas or something like that. My mom isn't the most mobile person, she can walk unassisted, but has to stop now and again or just walk slow. She has trouble with the circulation in her legs. Our guide Lee was wonderful with them and we had no problems. I worried for Mom at the Forbidden City, but she was fine. She just trucked along, and since we were there in March, there was always a bench to sit on as there were no crowds. The only things she didn't do were climb all the way to the top of the pagoda at the City Wall in Xi'an, and she and the other woman on the trip only took one set of stairs on the Great Wall, we took the group picture, and the two of them headed back to the hotel where we were to meet to go back to Beijing, shopping along the way.

As for clothes, you don't need nearly the evening wear you think you do. Everything you do off the river boat is casual in the evening. Lee always told us to wear anything we wanted, even to the acrobat show, and he wore jeans to everything we did. The only time I saw him in a suit was the Captain's welcome dinner, and his was one of the few suits in the dining room. I'd take one sport coat and one tie (if you must) and not worry about the rest. The men were mixed on the ship with sport coats and sweaters and slacks at dinner. I took one pair of black dress slacks with shoes and five different tops/sweaters/blouses to match them. I only wore three of the tops.

The water and beverages were a bit of a problem for me. You get two bottles of water a day at every hotel and on the ship, and at all meals you get a choice of Coke, Sprite, mineral water, or local beer. These things will be repeated to you over and over, and you often only get one glass. Tea is unlimited. This didn't seem to be particular to Uniworld, as the other tables in the various restaurants had the same choices. I found myself buying water, but be very careful that the bottles are sealed. Water was very expensive at the airports, but cheap everywhere else. Lee took us to a small grocery store on the way to the ship to buy water and wine, so I stocked up there. He begged us to hide it so he wouldn't get in trouble with his friends on the ship. I brushed my teeth from the faucet, and nobody in our group had any gastro problems. I took chewable PeptoBismal tablets and a prescription of Cipro, but didn't need either one.

My husband and I had also traveled with Uniworld once, a Danube River cruise, and thought them to be fine. We had no problems on that trip at all, so I felt good about the China trip. It seemed better than the Danube trip, very first class. It all ran flawlessly, but we had a wonderful guide and only six in the group. I'm not sure if it would be as easy with a larger group. Our guide Lee said May, September, and October are the most crowded months, so be aware you might have lines some places, etc. When we went in March, we were often the only people at our various stops until we got to Beijing.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

I forgot to add, take some cold medicine with you! While none of us had intenstinal problems, we had a nasty cold that ran through the group. Mom and I were fine because we took with us: Tylenol, DayQuil and NyQuil liquicaps, Afrin, Sudafed, and lots of cough drops. The Afrin and Sudafed were particularly handy because of the three intra-China flights we took. The cough drops (we had a big bag from Costco) were helpful even without a cold because of all the pollution. My uncle had the cold first (and the worst) and rubbed his face raw with tissue. He then managed to get a staph infection in his raw spot, and it looked horrible. I gave him tubes of Neosporin and Cortisone, which kept it at bay, but he needed something more when he got home. The Chinese doctors will only offer you acupuncture and herbs. My mom was lucky because she didn't get the cold until the day we left, and my aunt never got it at all, but the rest of us had a good dose of it. I had taken Airborne every day, was fanatic about my hand washing and hand sanitizer, but the nature of the eating makes everything germy. The morning buffets and the lunches and dinners with communal food bowls didn't help.

Oh, Lee said that the way you're doing the trip (Beijing to Shanghai) is the best because Beijing is so important and that's where all the walking is. He said many times people are too tired by the end of the trip to really enjoy it. If he's your guide, don't tell him I said so, but I really liked Shanghai the best. He's from Beijing and says Shanghai is like a pretty girl. Beautiful on the outside, but not always good on the inside.

Oh, oh, one more thing. Make sure you buy a few rolls of Charmin-to-go. Lee was really good about getting us to bathrooms that had Western toilets and paper, but they're just not always available. I was happy I kept a roll in my jacket pocket. At the very least, make sure your wives always have at least a small pack of kleenex with them.

..... At the very least, make sure your wives always have at least a small pack of kleenex with them.

Darn it, I have only one wife.:( (I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist.:D)

Thanks so very much for your extensive answer. We usually do take some medications with us, even to Europe. My DW just got a prescription for Cipro, and we will make certain we also have those other items you mentioned. One major objective is to avoid illness, or if we do get sick, to get over it as soon as possible.

I have read somewhere that there is a medical center with Western educated doctors close to the Kempinski hotel. Hopefully, we won't need that or any other medical assistance.

I had not known that water is expensive at the airports. I had seen that water is not expensive in stores. We will try to purchase our extra water in grocery stores. Even there I will examine the seal to make sure it is intact.

That brings to mind another question. Are you allowed to carry your own bottled water when you board the planes in China, or are you restricted from doing so as we are now in the U.S.? A slightly different question. In the hotels, etc., what was said about the ice? That is, was it said to be from good water?

I don't want to seem to think that we can avoid every germ in China, but the more we can avoid, the better we will be. While China will be great, I am looking forward even more to our 10 nights in Kyoto and Tokyo. I was there for a few nights many years ago, and now even some of the few Japanese words I learned are coming back to me. It is an amazing country and they are an amazing people. I believe their rapid and real change in attitude at the end of WWII was unprecedented in world history.

We were lucky to be able to use our American Airline miles to get Japan Air executive (business) class from San Francisco and return.

Now, perhaps I can contribute to your forthcoming trip on the Constellation. We have sailed on that ship twice, and its sister ships several other times. Of the ships we have been on, we think the ship architecture and layout are the best on the Constellation class ships. As a slight added bonus, there is a Dale Chahuly (sp?) glass sculpture just outside the large forward lounge. This is on the starboard side and the lounge is on the topmost inside deck. I mention this because Chahuly is by far the most renowned glass artist in the world. There is a ceiling area in the Las Vegas Bellagio Hotel lobby of about 35 by 65 feet that has his work and that cost millions of dollars. We have also seen other things by him and they are great.

We have more recently been on RCL ships. They are OK, and the price is better, but they have not been as good as the Constellation. However, with all the perks and lower prices, we can get a great suite on RCL Brilliance for the same, or less, than a CC cabin on the Constellation.

Thank you once more for your response.

Oh yes, we have "bareboat" chartered and sailed A Morgan 46 with another couple 20 or so years ago from St. Petersburg. We sailed mainly in the Gulf, but also motored some in the Inland Waterway to get to South Seas Plantation where we docked for two nights. It was a great trip. After sailing my much smaller boat here on Beaver Lake, that boat was huge.

Bob,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you - I've been working and trying to get ready for our Connie transatlantic tomorrow.

About the bottled water on the intra-China flights, any water you had that was opened they would take the cap off of and sniff at security. They didn't have any other restrictions on liquids that I could see. Not the case going home, however. I don't know how it will be in Shanghai, but in Beijing, there are separate security lines for flights to the US. They also didn't seem to be aware of the "under 3oz" rule on gels and liquids and were throwing away different items. The woman behind me lost her small perfume bottle, and the Orthodox Jew in front of me lost his single-serving sized tubs of kosher peanut butter. He was pretty bummed about that - must not have had a kosher meal going home. Once past security, I loaded up on bottled water for the flight, but they hand searched every single bag at the gate before boarding, and I lost them.

Beverages will be served to you without ice, so I don't remember even having the ice discussion with our guide, sorry. Also, nobody in our group had cocktails, just beer and wine.

Thanks for the Connie tips. I'll look for the sculpture. That ceiling at Bellagio is fabulous, so I'm looking forward to it. We've been on Infinity and Millennium, so we'll at least know our way around. A lot of people say what you did, that Connie is the most attractive of the group.

Cheers!

Thank you for your response, especially since you are leaving tomorrow. I gather that we will have no trouble taking our own water on board the flights within China. Any water they hand out on the planes should be OK, but who knows. We only fly on JAL to Tokyo from Shanghai, so I'm not concerned about water there. We later fly home from Tokyo on JAL.

In further recall of the Chahuly glass on the Constellation, I think it is a very large chandelier, not a sculpture per say. The Summit and the Millennium have some other "art", not to our liking, in the same location.

As I think about it, I am beginning to conclude that we should get back to the Constellation. It, and its sister ships, does seem to have more "class" than the RCL Brilliance class. We have also been on one HAL, the Westerdam, and while some things were OK, others were not. We enjoyed the large deck 4 bar just forward of the dining room for a before dinner drink, and to watch the dancers, especially the Japanese ones. The Cova Café on deck 5 was also very nice with its string quartets and other good music. (We also like some country music, but our favorite band, The Wilders, has not been on ships as yet)

The karaoke on the Connie is also better managed and more fun than on RCL or HAL ships. Its location in the lounge forward of the dining room is very good and comfortable.

Well, I've done it. I've convinced myself. Our next cruise after The Brilliance TA, which is already booked, will be on the Constellation.

Thanks again for all your good information. Have a great trip. I hope you stay in London a bit after the cruise. If you do, I'm sure you know about the half price ticket booth on Leicester Square. The real one is at the end of the small park.

Hi WIT - Awaiting your trip report. Have you heard anything about low water on the Yangtze? Willard

Our trip guide here in Beijing says water levels are OK. We will board the boat in two days (after Xian).

Some photos of the first three days are at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski/China407

Food, accomodations, and tours have been great. Sandstorm last week but our three days have been sunny and 50 - 65 degrees.

WIT

Hi Wit - Thanks for the info on the water levels. Great photos. We leave May 8th and your photos make my mouth water...Aren't computers, digital photos and email just great. To think when I started in the business I used a 4x5 speed graphic and flash bulbs. Willard

Went on Viking in Sept 06. Believe it was the Imperial Jewels trip. Viking is THE luxury line. Room cleaned 2 or 3 times a day! Everyone was so polite and helpful. Our guide was terrific. Nothing rattled him. Buses are used when off the boat. You can leave items on the bus. The driver stays with the bus. You tip him.

We did the Hong Kong and Guilin extension. Well worth it.

Bring a couple of hundred in singles. I mean it. Used everywhere. Also bring cash for tips for guides etc. They do like U.S. money. Also most street vendors will take it. We had AAA Visa traveler checks. Were not accepted in Beijing Hotel. Have a back up plan-credit card etc.

Food was great. American style breakfasts. We ate milk and fruit at the hotels. No problems. Mostly Chinese food otherwise and not American style Chinese food. It was good and I really did enjoy it, but I did finally get tired of the same spices. First glass of beer or wine is part of the meal, as is the first small bottle of water. After that you pay for it.

If you see something you like, BUY it. That includes postcards. You may see the same thing again, but may not. Buy stamps when you see them. Not all hotels have them!

No need for fancy dress. A few did the dressy thing, but most just spiffed up with a different top and normal slakes. Bring comfortable shoes –you do a lot of walking – and bring layers. Guilin was hot and The Great Wall cool. Bring a wide brimmed hat.

The street vendors are fun once you get the hang of it. They are bold and in you face and will block your path. Keep walking and don’t make eye contact. That said, I never felt intimidated or threatened. You will learn to haggle, and it is fun. Listen to you guide for how to do it. Cash in hand works wonders. Remember, you are “rich”. Yes you are. Don’t try for absolute bottom dollar.

I loved Fengdu. That is as close to “no tourist” China as you can get on a trip like this. Then Guilin and the Great Wall

Did run into a few “squat toilets”. Fun to see and even experience! But they do smell and are hard on the knees. You just “bunch up” you slakes and shorts. Go to an outdoor store and buy toilet paper before you leave.

Get sleeping pills. We used them the most after we got home! That jet lag was awful.

Yes, I would go again. First I want to do Europe and Russia and Africa etc., but it was a great trip.

Dear Amyr

I am in the planning stages of a China trip for 2008 and I want the Yangtze River cruise that goes all the way from Shanghai to Choingqing. Was that the one you were on for 9 nights? The web shows that only the Victoria Prince offers this itinerary.

Can you give me any information on the Victoria Prince. Are all the beds singles or do they convert to doubles? What deck and side would be best to be on? Is it a lot of up & down stairs as I see t his ship does not have an elevator & my Dad is 86.

Did you do the full day tour to Huangshan (Yellow Mountian)?

Did you do the on the Daning River and the small gorges?

Please feel to e-mail me at ann at century 21 vancouver dot com

Looking forward to hearing your comments at your convenience.

Ann

As you see, I'm not Amyr, but I saw your post and thought I could help a bit. Amyr will probably answer in a few days after they return from their Transatlantic.

Try the Victoria Cruises web site. I did and I recall that it had detailed information about all their ships. We are about to start on a Uniworld tour/river cruise which is in the reverse direction of the one Amyr took. Our cruise portion is only three nights, but our ship, the Victoria Anna has elevators. I do recall that many of the Victoria ships do not have elevators.

I believe that Victoria has cruises spanning several days on the river. Uniworld apparently contracts for a few cabins for a few days.

Viking also seems to have many Yangtze cruises, and I think other lines which used to be only in Europe also do China cruises.

Dear Amyr

I am in the planning stages of a China trip for 2008 and I want the Yangtze River cruise that goes all the way from Shanghai to Choingqing. Was that the one you were on for 9 nights? The web shows that only the Victoria Prince offers this itinerary.

Can you give me any information on the Victoria Prince. Are all the beds singles or do they convert to doubles? What deck and side would be best to be on? Is it a lot of up & down stairs as I see t his ship does not have an elevator & my Dad is 86.

Did you do the full day tour to Huangshan (Yellow Mountian)?

Did you do the on the Daning River and the small gorges?

Please feel to e-mail me at ann at century 21 vancouver dot com

Looking forward to hearing your comments at your convenience.

Ann

Ann - We are presently in Shanghai on the Viking Century Sun cruise/tour. I suggest ending rather than starting in Shanghai as Beijing is the busier end of the tour.

Willard - I just posted a brief report in the Viking China thread. Weather has been mild and sunny except for a full day of rain on the way to the ceramic factory. Water levels have been fine. Bill

Archived