Best way to get to Pier 12 for QE2

Force10

We are sailing out of Brooklyn Cruise Terminal Pier 12 on 27 April 2007. We fly into NYC a couple of days before hand and will be staying near to the Empire State Building. What is the best way to get to the terminal and how much time do we need to allow. Embarkation is at 2pm. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

This will be a special trip as it will be our honeymoon and I will be at sea for my 40th Birthday!

I have not been to Brooklyn, but I understand the transport to and from New York City is not good. I think a taxi will be your best bet, I was told it takes about 45 minutes and costs $50.00 or so. I was lucky, I sailed to New York on QE2 last September and was due in at Brooklyn, but we docked at Peir 90 :)

I live in Brooklyn, and in deed you should take a taxi. If there is no traffice it will take about 30 minutes. with traffic about 45 minutes.

the highway goes thru the brooklyn battery tunnel and the pier is 5 blocks away !

I live in Brooklyn, and in deed you should take a taxi. If there is no traffice it will take about 30 minutes. with traffic about 45 minutes.

the highway goes thru the brooklyn battery tunnel and the pier is 5 blocks away !

What subway runs near pier 12? We will be visiting NY next week when the QM2 is in town and we want to take a trip to Brooklyn to see her. :D

there is no subway close by to the brooklyn terminal. you must take a train and then bus it.

go to the NYC transportation website (MTA) and you will see which train & bus will be best for you.

there is only one bus line in & out. So give your self a lot of extra time.

A C or F to Jay St then B 61 SB

or,

2/3/4/5/N/R subway train to Borough Hall, then B61 bus to Pioneer and Van Brunt Streets. It's a four long-block walk from there to the port entrance,

or

F train to Smith/9th Street train station, then B77 bus to Conover and Dikeman Streets. Six block walk from there.

Obviously neither of these is practical unless your luggage has been sent ahead. Don't know how much experience you have with NY subway system, but I wouldn't even attempt to carry anything larger than a small carry-on.

I've never tried either of these alternatives, but did research them because I'll have a day in NYC en route from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale on QE2 in a few weeks and was looking for a way into Manhattan without spending a fortune.

There is also a water taxi from Red Hook to Manattan but unfortunately it does not operate this time of the year.

Bob

If you want to see the pier,You can see it from the walkway of the Brooklyn Bridge. The area around the cruise terminal is an industrial area under going redevelopment. Its perfectly safe but not particularly nice. If you want to see what is going on Take the bus down to the end of Van Brundt(as far as it goes)and walk to the Fairway supermarket. In the back of fairway on its right hand side is a self service outdoor cafe with chairs for the best view of the harbor---and inexpensive drinks and food....you can then bus back to the area of the pier. The pier itself is closed when no ships are there.

ps the water taxi is operating. It doesn't stop at the pier but stops at fairway and passes the cruise terminal.

A taxi from LGA to manhattan should run no more than $35.00 or 20 pounds...not so much methinks...

Archived