Sea pass card for 6

My husband and I are taking our 2 boys (and 2 friends) on a RC cruise this year. We are putting them all on our credit card because they are under 18. Can we set a limit to their charging? Any advice helpful. Thanks :)

Members often report that you can place a limit on it, but they also often report that it isn't enforced and that their kids have charged $100's on them.

Two things you can do. First (and I'm sure you know this) is to make sure they all know that if they "overcharge" on their card, they will be paying for those charges. I'm often surprised when parents say that they "have no control" over how their kids use the Sea Passes and so forth. (Yes, I am a parent too.) Second is to not put them on your credit card at all. Use cash. You can "deposit" a specific amount of cash on their cards. When it's gone; it's gone. (I think it's possible that members have reported that the cash limit is not always enforced and then the parents are expected to pony up the extra. I hope not. I'd think that a cash limit is a cash limit.) Again, tell them how much is on their Sea Pass and that you expect them not to exceed it. Are they contributing any of their own money for their "fun" expenses? That's often a great way to ensure they don't overspend--when they know from the start that it is their own money they are spending. Otherwise, if you are providing all onboard money, you might want to give them a set budget per day. You can check their Sea Pass purchases any time using the iTV features in the cabin. DH and I check ours each day just to make sure that each day's charges are accurate. If they are soda drinkers, you might invest in the soda sticker for each of them to keep beverage expenses down.

Hope you all have a great time.

beachchick

I was just wondering what kids will need charging prilivedges for - we plan on getting a soda card for DS (DD likes water and lemonade), food is included if they want snacks and stuff - if we do ben and jerry's they will be with us - thanks for help - obviously this is our first cruise

I know this may sound mean but we don't give our kids (10 & 14) any charging privileges. If they want to purchase something they need to get us so we can use our cards - this way they don't go over their or our budget and we have control on what they spend it on. But, we do make sure we purchase each of them a soda sticker so they can get soda's whenever they want. This has always worked out well on previous cruises and we plan on using this same system on our cruise this year. Remember kids will be kids and don't always realize how fast spending adds up.

Last year was the first time we let our then 15 year old have charging priveleges. We told her we would be checking the account daily and if she abused it we would remove them. On our 7 day cruise, she bought one virgin foo foo drink. She did have the soda card so didn't need any more than that. At some point you have to trust them a little.

Now as for my son who was 11 last year no charging priveleges. This year we are going to try and see how it goes. My biggest fear is the video arcade but I believe you can put a specific limit on those charges by the day so that definitely will be done.

I know this may sound mean but we don't give our kids (10 & 14) any charging privileges. If they want to purchase something they need to get us so we can use our cards - this way they don't go over their or our budget and we have control on what they spend it on. But, we do make sure we purchase each of them a soda sticker so they can get soda's whenever they want. This has always worked out well on previous cruises and we plan on using this same system on our cruise this year. Remember kids will be kids and don't always realize how fast spending adds up.

Doesn't sound mean, sounds sensible...

Boo

Hi ! I should have been more clear, my boys are 18 and 20 and the friends are 17 (they will be 18 the week after the cruise! I guess I will see if they can set limits for me on the cruise....They are adults and I will ask them to be responsible of course, just wanted to see if a limit could be set just incase one of them miss places it. They are all very mature! Should be a blast! Thanks

Archived