Ventura attracting Non P&O Types

daiB

Hi

We are looking at an early cruise to the caribbean in 2009 on Ventura. The reasons are great itinerary and great price - the new ship looks lovely. So three great reasons to book a cruise. The only snag at the moment is that we tried P&O Oceana expecting to be booking the best and were far from impressed.

One bad meal does not make a bad restaurant so we are tempted to give P&O another try but I am worried in case we are just better suited to other lines.

We love to dance and we strongly uphold the traditional formality of cruising. We support the dress codes but like to party and like excellent service standards from very friendly staff. We found the Oceana experience sadly lacking in the food and service standards. The food was excellent but boring and the staff were not what we would call warm. In short a little stuffy was the general atmosphere.

Do you think it possible that we just had a bad encounter and would probably be OK if we tried again?

Incidently we always cruise with a group of friends and not our family or children - this is our special treat time.

Perhaps there was a problem four years ago, when you last cruised. I have not come across any problem with unfriendly staff. The stuffy relates to - what in particular?

We have 8 P&O cruises under our belt with 2 booked and 1 to be booked within the month.

From what we have seen of Ventura stuffy would not be a word one could use, certainly if Noddy gets his way.

I am sure you would have a great time on Ventura whenever you go as we certainly will when it is our turn.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I priced the cruise only on the Ventura out of Barbados Jan 09 for a family of 4 but it was a bit out of my league. Cunard cruising the Caribbean on QM2 from Florida was better priced. We don't get any great fly cruise packages from OZ only on P&O Australia to the South Pacific. The fly/ cruise on Ventura would have been only $1200 extra for 4.

CruiseKidz

I was on Oceana 6 weeks ago. It was fantastic, food better than celebrity (the year before).

Friendliness from staff can be luck of the draw though in any service industry. We were vey fortunate with our waiters although the chap looking after the cabin was a miserable bugger!

I defy anyone on our Oceana cruise to complain about the food !!

This whole Noddy thing is a bit odd.. As I mentioned previously as read on one of the early marketing fliers re Ventura "You don't know who you may meet at breakfast time...even Noddy!" . I used to love Noddy as a little girl (I even had a hat like his that jangled..) but, I honestly couldn't think of anything worse than Noddy hanging about being a pain in the backside at breakfast...

I mean, there are those that would say that Noddy was in fact "very dark" - and no, I don't mean his colour, silly billies...the stories were a bit on the dark side...I mean, what about the naughty goblins, they were downright frightening...do we get to meet them at dinner I wonder?

I suppose Noddy is very much a British icon...along with the Famous Five (and the dog...what was his name??) or the "Girls from Mallory Towers" - maybe P&O intend to introduce these characters at a later stage? Maybe they appear in the bars serving up "lashings of ginger beer"?

Hands up who wants to sit next to the naughty girls of Mallory Towers at breakfast!?:)

...Would certainly be more entertaining than good 'ol Noddy, bless 'im.

Thinking of doing the Transantlantic Southampton to Barbados next October on Ventura. Trouble is, we have got used cruising from Southampton or Dover the last few times which is great. Don't know whether I fancy flying home from Barbados, as I have got out of the habit of flying. Will have to give it some thought while the prices are still keen.

Re Oceana - I went on a Weekender last weekend to Zeebrugge. Couldn't fault the food or the service. I know its not long to make a judgment but would certainly go on a longer cruise on her. There was very little dancing which was a shame as we went with a party from our dance club. Bobby Davro was the comedian, he was great.

For m62man - We sailed on Fred Olsen's Boudicca last September, had a great time, food and service great. There is a board now for Fred Olsen - you could check it out.

Thinking of doing the Transantlantic Southampton to Barbados next October on Ventura. Trouble is, we have got used cruising from Southampton or Dover the last few times which is great. Don't know whether I fancy flying home from Barbados, as I have got out of the habit of flying. Will have to give it some thought while the prices are still keen.

Re Oceana - I went on a Weekender last weekend to Zeebrugge. Couldn't fault the food or the service. I know its not long to make a judgment but would certainly go on a longer cruise on her. There was very little dancing which was a shame as we went with a party from our dance club. Bobby Davro was the comedian, he was great.

For m62man - We sailed on Fred Olsen's Boudicca last September, had a great time, food and service great. There is a board now for Fred Olsen - you could check it out.

We did the October transatlantic on Arcadia and you are correct, fantastic value. If you are going to do it then be quick and get yourself an upgrade on the plane for £99.00 as it is now.

If you like sea days it is great as you get 5, 25 hour days as you sail across, very relaxing.

Dai

Noddy was a little girl????

You have deliberately taken that the wrong way:mad:. that is very unkind. You knew what was meant all the time.

The lady meant when Noddy was dressing up as a little girl not that he was one!:mad: Some people.

:rolleyes:Happy Cruising:rolleyes:

Dai

You have deliberately taken that the wrong way:mad:. that is very unkind. You knew what was meant all the time.

The lady meant when Noddy was dressing up as a little girl not that he was one!:mad: Some people.

Happy Cruising

Dai

NODDY WAS A TRANNY??????

:eek: :eek: :eek:

NODDY WAS A TRANNY??????

:eek:

You have a problem with this?????:mad:

The Noddy protection society will be after you:cool::cool:

Dont knock it just think of all the cruises he is getting.

Happy Cruising

Dai

Dai

Dai - surely the lady meant that when she, herself, was a little girl she liked Noddy :confused: Noddy never used to dress up a a little girl did he? :eek:

Happy cruising!

Dai - surely the lady meant that when she, herself, was a little girl she liked Noddy :confused: Noddy never used to dress up a a little girl did he? :eek:

Happy cruising!

Is that it!! ;).

I am glad someone cleared it up, it was a big worry. In fact I have not slept well all weekend.:eek:

Happy Cruising

Dai

Big Ears will be getting upset with all the attention Noddy is getting........

Does Camilla wear Red, Yellow and Blue?

The above is cruel nasty and uncalled for.:D:D:D:D:D

Happy Crusing

Dai

Don't know about that, but I'd be careful. There's someone on these boards called Loobylou.

The thread police will be visiting soon!

Dvaid

I think Mr Plod is already on your case my lad.:D

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

I think Mr Plod is already on your case my lad.:D

Mr Plod's not one of the moderators is he?:eek:

BTW you'd have thought he'd be Detective Inspector Plod after all these years in the force.

Maybe I should head off to Trumpton and steal some of Windy Miller's cider. That should keep one of Noddy's pals off Ventura (and keep this thread on topic!):D

They don't make programmes like they used to.

David

OK so some people are not keen on Noddy, I understand that he is too sophisticated for some, but we will not hold that against you.

So what about the Circus school does that grab your fancy. For some it would be typecasting, as there are a number of clowns on here already.

What about the scran, thon White fella must have some idea what he is doing.

Come on, what else about Ventura rings your bell.

Dai

Archived