Vanilla Recipes

millie-may

I wish I did! Those beans would make some great popouri I would think!

I bought a bottle of vanilla in Jamaica last fall and I will say this-it is so much better then the imiatation vanilla-I love my cheeesecake I make with it! It has hooked me so well I now realize it is worth the few dollars extra for the real thing!

While I do very little dessert making, a few things I've read about vanilla. First, most people can't tell the difference between imitation vanilla and vanilla extract, but this varies by brand and vendor. Second, for some dishes, say vanilla bean ice cream or creme brulee, vanilla bean is far superior to any extract. So, why "devalue" your real beans by converting them to extract? Try making something that takes advantage of the attributes of the whole bean.

Of course, beans have a shelf life (I seem to recall around 6 months, but don't quote me on this), so it might make sense to preserve them.

But, I doubt you'll go wrong either way. Just wanted to give you something else to think about.

Archived