anchorage suggestions please

ti2xgrr

We will have a whole day in anchorage and need some ideas. We do not leave until 11:15pm the night after our cruise tour ends in Anchorage. We have a rental car for the day. With what I have planned right now the only thing that we will not get to do that we would like is to do some whale watching.

Is it possible to do a whale watch 1/2 day out of Seward and get back to Anchorage in time to make our flight. There is one that leaves Seward at 11:30am and gets back to the airport in time or would it be better to just see the sights in Anchorage.

Thanks for the help

Seward boat trips are not whale watches, varied wildlife. My averages of many trips are only about 50% for whale sightings. These are "route" based trips. If whales are within the route, then yes you will see them, but if not, and the area is vast, you won't.

It is a 3 hour drive to Seward from Anchorage. I never recommend it as a day trip. Only you can decide if you want a marathon day, and THEN I suggest a very early start to make the most of it. With a car you can also enjoy Hatcher Pass and the attractions north of Anchorage.

Without a car there is plenty in Anchorage to occupy your day. Request their visitor guide http://www.anchorage.net

You need a 2 hour window at Anchorage airport, cruise unloading days are especially busy on the overnight flights.

We will have a whole day in anchorage and need some ideas. We do not leave until 11:15pm the night after our cruise tour ends in Anchorage. We have a rental car for the day. With what I have planned right now the only thing that we will not get to do that we would like is to do some whale watching.

Is it possible to do a whale watch 1/2 day out of Seward and get back to Anchorage in time to make our flight. There is one that leaves Seward at 11:30am and gets back to the airport in time or would it be better to just see the sights in Anchorage.

Thanks for the help

Lot's to do in Anchorage alone. Downtown there's the Anchorage Museum of Art and History. Also, shopping downtown for gifts, etc. For dinner, I highly recommend the Glacier Brewhouse. Deserts are awsome there too, and I don't normally order desert. Nearby is the Alaskan Native Heritage Center which is definately highly recommended. In Seward, you might have time for the Alaskan SeaLife Center, and if you have access to a car, drive to Exit Glacier on your way to Anchorage. Or, there's a 1 hr boat trip to Portage Glacier on your way to Anchorage. What ever you choose it will be the right choice. I am a marathon tourist, I try to "do it all," and hope you find the way logistically do the same. Have fun.

Archived