Sea Diamond aground off Santorini: ship being abondoned

Here's a link to a story on the BBC website about this:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6530475.stm

As I understand it, Sea Diamond belongs (or is at least operated by) Louis Lines, a well-known Greek cruise line. Sea Diamond was, up until last year, the Birka Princess, a Baltic cruise-ferry. She's about 22,000 tons, has 500+ cabins, and a total capacity of about 1500 passengers.

Hope everyone gets off safely and the ship makes it to be repaired! We are going to be in Santorini in September... so this caught my eye.

We just got off the Constellation and happened to meet another couple from Sheffield, Roger and Penney. Had a great time with them on a catamaran cruise in St. Kitts and chatting with them around the ship. Any chance you might know them?

We'll keep good thoughts for those who had to leave their ship.

SANTORINI, Greece — A Greek cruise ship sank off this holiday island Friday, after the vessel struck rocks and nearly 1,600 people on board, including 60 Canadian students, had to be rescued. The Sea Diamond sank shortly before 7 a.m., 15 hours after the accident occurred and the ship began listing and taking on water.

Well.... first, I'm certainly pleased that everyone was rescued safely. And if it has gone down then let's hope either that it's out of the navigation passages, or that it can be raised & moved easily.

I was truly upset to watch the Sea Diamond sink. Makes everyone need to pay attention to the muster drills no matter what number of cruise it is for you. Each line has its own drill and procedure. I pray that the French man and child will be found safe.

Eileen

I just found this report and some very graphic photos of the rescue and the ship sinking. We're visiting Santorini this May and it just brings it home how easily it could 'be you'. I just hope the people who think they don't need to attend the muster drill and the ones who do but don't listen and treat it as a joke are reading this. I couldn't find anything on whether the 2 people missing have been found. Does anyone know? i do hope so.

http://www.corriere.it/Primo_Piano/Cronache/2007/04_Aprile/06/sea_diamond_affondata.shtml

We will be in Santorini in May also. It is hard to believe that there could be rocks and/or coral in the caldera that could sink a ship. I would have thought it would have been well cleared out with all the activity they have. From the news reports I read, it does sound like the two passengers probably didn't make it. I believe they were close to where the break occurred.

Archived