Are over-the-counter medications available on board?

racepoint

Packing for our upcoming trip on CB and was wondering if cough/cold, etc. medications (e.g. Robitussin) are available in a store on board. I hate to pack all of this stuff "just in case" and would feel better knowing it's there and available if we need it.

I was on a Princess cruise on which a cold virus rapidly spread among passengers and crew. Within one day, the shop was out of expensive cold medication. I assured a few desperate people that some of the other medications were basically the same thing (sudefed), but those of us who brought our own were very glad we did!;)

PS. There are at least four kinds of Robitussin. If you want exactly what you use at home, bring it!!!

You will save a lot more money if you put together a 'first aid and emergency' kit at home. Go to your local drug store and get small smaples if you don't want to carry the larger bottles. If you buy stuff that you would normally use anyway, then you're not out any money. This is what we did and while we didn't use much of it, it was nice to have the meds we needed when we needed them, as well as having the brands we prefer.

Charlie

I second the advice of bring your own. If you need it, only small packages are available and are very expensive. Also, you may not be able to get the brand you preder or the ship may run out.

We always take a first aid kit which includes (but is not limited to) meds for colds, fevers, allergic reactions, and certain prescription meds in case of emergency. :D

You will save a lot more money if you put together a 'first aid and emergency' kit at home....

Charlie

I thought almost anyone who has any experience cruising has their own “kit”.

When we bought our very large rolling suitcase, it had a great “freebie” inside. Basically it’s a traveling medicine cabinet. Plastic and nylon, as large as the suitcase so that it can lay flat on top of everything of a packed bag. Along the top is a hook to hang from the back of a bathroom door and two Velcro straps so you can attach to a hanger and but in the closet. Five rows of various sized “pouches” made of clear plastic to hold anything you want. First aide kit, sewing kit and just about every sample and trial size product we may need is there. Stays in the suitcase and just a three-minute visual check when we pack is all we need.

When were on the ship, we just shake our heads at the prices they demand in the store. $9.00 for suntan lotion or $3.95 for four aspirin. I sometimes feel the cashier should be wearing a mask and holding a gun.

Yes, I have a "kit". Actually, it has expanded into several "kits", most of which we've never had to use on prior cruises. Thus, the reason for my post. Of course I'd expect to pay top dollar for cough medicine, etc., as long as I know it's available. It's a gamble, I suppose. If I can lighten up my suitcase and make room for the stuff that I know I'll use, it's worthwhile to me.

As someone who has suffered major hay fever on some of my cruises, I tend to take on several medications. My hubby appreciated this when he really needed some of my Sudafed (we actually ran out and then spent time searching in the next port for more). As others have noted, you can't count on the ship's store to have what the exact type you need in stock (be sure to check the expiration dates if you do buy medications onboard). And I can use the leftover meds when I get home.

If both you and your travel mate have diarrhea, which of you will be brave enough to venture all the way to the shop to purchase the immodium? Pack your own - you will be glad you did.
You won't find anything to relieve diarrhea or anything except Alka Selzer for stomach problems..................they want you to report them and take "advantage" of their free medical services so they can stop the spread or noroviruses:rolleyes: BRING YOUR OWN!

Archived