Another cell phone question

Peery5

I was reading an earlier post regarding cell phones. We will be in New York a few days before our cruise so of course we will have our cell phones with us. My question is if you turn off your cell phone when you get on the ship and leave it turned off until you return to the US will any calls that have come through while your out of the country be charged at any other rate other than your regular rate. I know if you turn it on or answer it at any time you will be billed at a higher rate. We have Verizon and from what I have read it is something like 2.49 a minute. Does anyone know about this?

I was reading an earlier post regarding cell phones. We will be in New York a few days before our cruise so of course we will have our cell phones with us. My question is if you turn off your cell phone when you get on the ship and leave it turned off until you return to the US will any calls that have come through while your out of the country be charged at any other rate other than your regular rate. I know if you turn it on or answer it at any time you will be billed at a higher rate. We have Verizon and from what I have read it is something like 2.49 a minute. Does anyone know about this?

They just go into Voice mail mode, no charges. Keep it turned off and locked in your safe. I think Im going to remove my battery just to make sure :D We have Verizon also, at first Verizon was the only Carrier that did not participate in the MTN program, but now they are online on most ships. 2.49 a min.

Fred

I just spoke with Verizon and they told me that, yes, it is $2.49 a minute on the ship. They also said that contractually Carnival has to turn off the service when they are within 2 miles of land. She warned me that in Mexico there are no rules about how much they can charge you for roaming.

Tony

My question is if you turn off your cell phone when you get on the ship and leave it turned off until you return to the US will any calls that have come through while your out of the country be charged at any other rate other than your regular rate.

I know if you turn it on or answer it at any time you will be billed at a higher rate.

I think you answered your own question.

As with all equipment, if it's turned off, you won't get charged. Not for calls, text mesages, nothin'.

I just spoke with Verizon and they told me that, yes, it is $2.49 a minute on the ship. They also said that contractually Carnival has to turn off the service when they are within 2 miles of land. She warned me that in Mexico there are no rules about how much they can charge you for roaming.

Tony

So while they are docked in their homeport (in my case NY) before sailaway they don't charge you that 2.49 per minute? I keep getting conflicting answers.

So while they are docked in their homeport (in my case NY) before sailaway they don't charge you that 2.49 per minute?>>

no they don't charge that when the ship is sitting in a usa port. We have verizon too. We'll see if it works this time out to sea, it didn't this past thanksgiving. It works fine in st thomas and puerto rico tho. I have no idea what the roaming charge is tho. When I need to use the phone, I do.

While you're in port you are charged whatever you would normally would pay. We have Verizon National rate, New York is a free call, so is San Juan, Puerto Rico. US Virgin Islands are roaming @ $.69 a minute, British V.I. are also roaming @ $1.29 a minute. Surf the Verizon web site and it's all there!

Archived