Los Angeles Embarkation.....Quick Question

Murphey

We've taken 3 cruises out of LA and have had to wait and wait for embarkation and debarkation. I don't think they have enough customs agents. Unfortunately, it can get uncomfortable standing outdoors waiting in the sun and fighting for a bench in the shade.

We'd try another port if we didn't have two grandsons to visit when we go to LA. They could make a fortune if they opened up a bar to sit and wait at.

Do all Princess ships leave from San Pedro now??

Yes, however I believe they have used the the Long Beach cruise center at least once in the last two years. I think this was due to construction at the L.A. cruise center and it was planned for.

Any Princess embarkation from Long Beach would have been an abberation. I've taken several Princess cruises from San Pedro over the past several years and they were all from San Pedro. Also, I've rarely had a wait. Embarkation and disembarkation was quick and easy every time, even for a Christmas cruise.

We have been through that terminal twice. Both times arriving at 1pm. The first time took 1 1/2 hours to check in. The second time took 15 minutes but then we had platinum status so we were able to bypass many in the security line. I'm sure it would have taken at least an hour otherwise so 1pm is not advisable.

We live within viewing distance of Carnival's Long Beach terminal and have never seen a Princess ship dock there. The only exception--twice, and not within the last year or so--has been Holland America's Prinsendam, which did dock in LB.

For our last cruise, we got to San Pedro at 12:15pm (which is kinda late for us, but we got caught in the 405 weekday traffic). We entered the building and were immediately directed to an available clerk to check us in. Were on the ship, and had unpacked our carryons by 1:15pm.

When we returned to LA, disembarkation took forever. We didn't get off the ship by 11:10am and some people were still onboard. So I imagine, passengers on the next sailing had to wait awhile.

Not that it matters because I think this post is toast :) but JLP, the confusion about Princess sailing out of Long Beach may have to do with an early notice (and I'm talkin' years ago) about Star or Diamond Princess (we sailed on both, so pardon the confusion). Anyway, the Princess brochure showed whichever one it was, sailing from Long Beach. But that never happened. When the ship arrived on the West Coast, it went into San Pedro. We were kinda bummed, because we could have been at Carnival's Long Beach terminal in about 15 minutes, versus about 25 minutes for 'Pedro.

Archived