Need you opinion....

kazcruise

We and our inlaws booked two cabins a little more than 36 hrs ago for a June 17th cruise. We had to pay in full because we booked the cruise just a few days after final payment time. We inquired about travel insurance and the online agent stated we had 10 days to purchase it. We told her we would call back on Monday to purchase. Last night we received a call at 2am that my father in law (who was booked in the other cabin) fell and was not doing well. I called NCL to try to cancel the cruise and they stated the penalty would be our initial deposit amount. Since we paid in full at time of booking and had not made any initial deposit, Adam, and his supervisor Mike at NCL stated there would be no penalty, but that the agent had to call to cancel. The agent called back and stated the info I was given was incorrect and that I owed a $1000.00 penalty for our inside cabin for four that we paid $2500.00 for. Is this an arbitrary deposit amount they've come up with? I've taken cruises where the initial deposit had been only $200.00. Do you have 3 business days to cancel an online transaction? Do you think after 36 hrs this deposit amount of $1000. is alot? How do you think they came up with the figure as we never made a deposit? The online agent says we can no longer purchase the insurance as this is now a preexisting condition. What should we do?

i always buy insurance, but not with the line, but with an on-line agent. "travel guard". if you buy your insurance within a 15 day period, all preexisting's are included. so you really could buy it, see if he gets better, and if he doesn't cancel and file a cliam. check it out. i like travel guard.

NCL's cancellation policy is:

$250.00 pp

90-76 days deposit

75-30 days deposit

29-8 days 50%

7 days or less 100%

(not including hawaii)

unfortuantely $250.00 x 4 = $1000.00

sorry about your FIL.

This is a prime example of why you need to contact your TA instead of NCL when you book through a TA. NCL's insurance must be purchased at final payment, or within 24 hours, if you book w/in 75 days. When you called NCL, the rep was correct.

However, your online TA may offer their own insurance through a different carrier, which has different policies regarding when enrollment can take place. I would encourage you to contact your TA to handle this, and let them deal w/ NCL.

Separate from the insurance, I have found that NCL is pretty firm about paying based on their rules. If you are inside the final payment date, refer to their rules. They are not known for being flexible.

We and our inlaws booked two cabins a little more than 36 hrs ago for a June 17th cruise. We had to pay in full because we booked the cruise just a few days after final payment time. We inquired about travel insurance and the online agent stated we had 10 days to purchase it. We told her we would call back on Monday to purchase. Last night we received a call at 2am that my father in law (who was booked in the other cabin) fell and was not doing well. I called NCL to try to cancel the cruise and they stated the penalty would be our initial deposit amount. Since we paid in full at time of booking and had not made any initial deposit, Adam, and his supervisor Mike at NCL stated there would be no penalty, but that the agent had to call to cancel. The agent called back and stated the info I was given was incorrect and that I owed a $1000.00 penalty for our inside cabin for four that we paid $2500.00 for. Is this an arbitrary deposit amount they've come up with? I've taken cruises where the initial deposit had been only $200.00. Do you have 3 business days to cancel an online transaction? Do you think after 36 hrs this deposit amount of $1000. is alot? How do you think they came up with the figure as we never made a deposit? The online agent says we can no longer purchase the insurance as this is now a preexisting condition. What should we do?

Hi kazcruise,

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law. I hope he recovers quickly.

You can't get any insurance to cover your for your father in law's now pre-existing medical condition. That's because he will not be able to meet the "Medically Stable" rules. Not even with Travel Guard as someone suggested.

I hope this helps.

Archived