Cant find camera I want-Does any islands sell cameras?

eileeno

I saw a Sony digital camera that I want and none of the stores have it -it's new. I leave Wednesday on Noordam and would like to know if any one has seen any good cameras in St. Thomas or St Martin. Also is it a bad idea to buy it there if they have it? Thanks for any input.

I ve bought cameras at the Royal Carribean store in St Thomas. They usually have different models than what we have in the U.S., so do your homework first. I was very happy with my purchases there.

There are serveral camera stores just off the ship if you dock at Havensight. They have major brands at reasonable prices. I don't know about warranty coverage, but the manual that came with the camera I bought was in Spanish.

Rich

I saw a Sony digital camera that I want and none of the stores have it -it's new. I leave Wednesday on Noordam and would like to know if any one has seen any good cameras in St. Thomas or St Martin. Also is it a bad idea to buy it there if they have it? Thanks for any input.

Have you tried the dealer locater on Sony's web site? Enter your zip code and model number:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_ViewStatic-Start?page=/static/help/sy_support.isml#product

Try B&H Video in New York. I get all of my camera Equipment there.

www.bhphotovideo.com/

If they have what you want in stock, pay for overnight delivery for Tuesday. I'm assuming you're home packing. Their prices are the best and what you'll pay for the overnight delivery will probably still be less than whatever you priced the camera at. If you ive outside ou NY you will not have to pay tax.

Btw, not sure if you are looking for a small digital. If so, I really recommend the FujiPix F30. (Haven't looked to see if somethings newer and better this year, but I bought this over a Nikon or Canon. The camera is awsome and goes up to ISO 3500, so you can take picture on the ship at night :) I still travel with my manual Nikon, but digital if less expensive and easy to use. don't forget to purchase memory chips, back-up battery and a case.

Not sure if you wanted a point and shoot. It looks like they are out of the FujiFilm F30, but the newer model is the F31. Btw, you can get 580 shots per charge (depending on the resolution). Some cameras need to be recharged after 50 shots.

(The reason I looked into Fuji is because I have always liked their 35mm film over Kodak, so thought they'd make a good camera)

Call B&H because they will probably have the camera you want. I am just giving another recommendation. I usually leave the camera on manual mode. I have framed 5 x 7 and they are pretty good compared to 35mm).

======

FinePix F31fd, 6.1 Megapixel, 3x Optical/6.2x Digital Zoom, Digital Camera

Mfr Catalog # 15725837 • B&H Catalog #FUFPF31FD

The Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Digital Camera, is a compact digital camera that features Fujifilm's unique, hardware-based Face Detection technology. Face Detection has great impact on people photography, ensuring the camera automatically focuses on and exposes for faces, rather than details that can confuse other cameras. Coping with up to ten faces in a frame, it ensures photos of friends and family are crisp, clear and perfectly exposed no matter what the occasion. Because Fujifilm's Face Detection technology is built-in to the camera's processor, it is able to identify faces, optimize settings and take the photo within just 0.05 seconds. In addition, the FinePix F31fd has unrivalled low-light performance with a sensitivity up to ISO 3200 at full resolution, made possible by Fujifilm's acclaimed Real Photo Processor II. Add to this the Fujinon 3x optical zoom lens, 6 megapixel Super CCD HR VI, 2.5 inch LCD screen and unique Fujifilm technologies such as Intelligent Flash, the FinePix F31fd is perfect for anyone looking for a camera that will rise to any occasion.

Thanks everyone for giving me feedback!

Stevesan- I checked and they gave me one dealer that I already checked yesterday with no luck. Thank you it is a good site!

Jade13- I forgot about them I once bought something from them and was happy, they are closed till Tuesday just my luck!

I think I will take the others advice and not buy outside US. I went to Bestbuys yesterday and the only one they had was in a opened box - was going to buy it and get a $40.00 instore coupon but a supervisor nixed the deal and would not take anything off so I will continue to look. I wanted it cause its 8 megapics & 5 zoom and 3in screen.

Thanks again

We bought a Sony TRB118 in St. Maarten, at the Super Jewellers in 2003 and it is still taking good tapes of our cruises. We even have some good pictures of when we were on the Zaandam.

Archived