Crying baby in next cabin....anyone?

Riley's Mom

Hey, Cappy! I'm thinking I'm not the one who's been missing. ;) Nice to have you back.

Nope, Dear Steve is still sticking with me--we'll celebrate our 14th anniversary on our cruise this summer. So, if he's crafting a Dear Jayne, I'm clueless! :p

Cheers!

Dear Jayne

thanks for the welcome back

we're off to the Panama Canal tomorrow, booked last-minute yesterday on the Regal Princess, out of LA and BACK to LA, 20 days :D :D :D

thanks for the welcome back

we're off to the Panama Canal tomorrow, booked last-minute yesterday on the Regal Princess, out of LA and BACK to LA, 20 days :D :D :D

Shouldn't you be on a plane somewhere ?

On our last cruise in March, friends of ours were next to a cabin with a crying infant. According to them, this poor baby cried constantly, all hours of the night. I'm sure it was a nightmare for the parents, as well. I have always been a supporter of people bringing children on cruises, but this really taught me that maybe it's really not in the childs best interest to bring them on a vacation that they aren't ready for. My immediate thought was that the baby wasn't used to the ship moving, the strangeness of the cabin, sleeping with other family members in the room, and an interrupted routine (including shore excursions, different dinner times, etc...). It's possible that the parents wouldn't know how the baby would react to a "stressful" situation, but I think if parents aren't at least 90% certain that their child is fairly adaptable, they should rethink taking them on a cruise. If a child adapts easily, and can stay happy on vacation, then by all means, bring them.

Well I can say that once my daughter who was about two at the time, it was the first night of our first cruise, when she woke up around 11 o'clock p.m. and she was just hysterical. I think she was exausted, in unfamiliar surroundings, overtired from travelling for a couple of days to get to the ship, and probably not even completely awake. To put it mildly she had a meltdown and she cried and cried for what seemed like an eternity, even though it was probably less than 15 minutes. But she was inconsolable, and it was terrible. Then the people next door started banging on the wall, which made it even worse. Did they really think that we could control this, or that banging on the wall would make her stop?? Of course we were doing our best to calm her and it was the one and only time anything like this has happened. Thank goodness. We just returned from our 5th family cruise. The best advise is to bring ear plugs or a white noise machine, because it could be a baby crying, or an old fat guy snoring, or the crew moving deck chairs above you, or some drunken idiot singing at the top of his lungs in the hallway in the middle of the night, or the honeymooners next door ;) Anytime you have a few thousand people trying to sleep in close quarters, this situation will arise, sometimes having a plan to deal with it in advance, coupled with some compassion and tolerance will go a long way.

We have had crying babies next to us before. I think the walls on a ship are pretty good. We could hear the baby, but it wasn't that bad.. I think they should hand out earplugs at the purser's desk.

There always seems to be a sign at the desk stating that the ship is full and not to ask to change cabins. I think they put up this sign so dozens of passengers aren't changing cabins because of noise issues. I know sometimes the ship is full, but some of the time it is obviously NOT and the sign is still up. The worst noise we ever had was a couple in the next cabin fighting. Yelling at each other every day! Babies cry. That is just what they do. I find it more bothersome when one cries right next to me on an airplane.

We had a screamer once, ugh, she had a great set of lungs and was an early riser.... It was about 5AM. It only took one dirty look over the balcany and the kid was quiet, thank goodness! Didn't hear a peep out of her for the rest of the cruise :)

###

No crying babies on any of our cruises. I did have a guy BEATING his wife on one ship (NCL Norway) :eek:

We would call security, they would take 30 minutes to show up, by then the fight was over. Happened every night. He even threw her against the wall of our cabin and my poor daughter (2 at the time) woke up and was scared. :(

No crying babies at night time while I was sleeping. Seriously it was amazing. There were actually SEVERAL babies under a year old on Empress Deck on Valor in January. I heard the one baby cry at like 9 o'clock or at 4 o'clock because she was hungry, but I was in the hallway near their door.

The people who tend to be the problems are the drunken idiots, who at 3:30 in the morning were running down the hallway dropping the F bomb, while the two kids chased their father. That woke me up because it scared me. I opened my door sans glasses and the wife rushed by apologizing. She was hammered too! My mom finally got up and yelled at them by saying, "Hey, shut up. There are people trying to sleep on this floor. There are young babies on this floor whose parents may have just got them to sleep. Knock it off." They continued by saying he got into a fight at the bar. This was truly a dysfunctional family, who should've been in rehab--not on a cruise. I overheard the last day of the cruise the daughter screaming/begging/pleading with her mom not to take pills because she'd watched so many friends get into trouble over the last year/die.

At those times I'd have took a screaming infant!

no shrieking babies, but two little screaming kids out on their balcony while the parents decided it was fine to lock them out so they could have some "alone time". they threw the 5 and 6 yr old out onto the balcony with some toys and told them stay here and play for a little while.

The kids started within a minute kicking the door, brother kicking the sister, screaming let us in.

My husband and I were taking bets over how long it would be before the parents opened the door. then one little kid was standing on the chair, which we knew cause the sister was screaming at her brother daddy said not to stand on the chairs.

At that point I had enough, called pursers office and I swear within 1 minute there were 3 officers at their door.

all of this took all of maybe 2 minutes before I called. My husband leaned over and told the kid get off that chair right now in a stern voice. Never saw those kids again....lol

But I couldn't believe the stupidity of those parents. And they weren't young. they were at least 35. We noticed as they slunk past us the next evening.

My husband went outside into the hall and spoke to the officers when they got to their cabin about what we saw and heard.

I mean..sheesh...how can you leave such young children alone on a balcony 8 stories above a sea on a moving ship??? I have to say those people took the prize for idiocy.

So anyway, I'd rather listen to a baby cry trying to get to sleep than feel responsible to keep some idiot's child safe.

Last Oct on the Glory in the next cabin was a screamer. It was a connecting cabin and maybe that is why we heard it more. Anyway, I was annoyed every day at the noise. Lasted 30 min. Found out they had a special needs child. It was right before bed so we just took a walk at that time.

On our last cruise in March, friends of ours were next to a cabin with a crying infant. According to them, this poor baby cried constantly, all hours of the night. I'm sure it was a nightmare for the parents, as well. I have always been a supporter of people bringing children on cruises, but this really taught me that maybe it's really not in the childs best interest to bring them on a vacation that they aren't ready for. My immediate thought was that the baby wasn't used to the ship moving, the strangeness of the cabin, sleeping with other family members in the room, and an interrupted routine (including shore excursions, different dinner times, etc...). It's possible that the parents wouldn't know how the baby would react to a "stressful" situation, but I think if parents aren't at least 90% certain that their child is fairly adaptable, they should rethink taking them on a cruise. If a child adapts easily, and can stay happy on vacation, then by all means, bring them.

As a Mom I agree with you. It's like people who bring their dogs in the car in the summer in 90 degree weather, because they don't want the dog to be lonely at home. I leave mine at home where they are more comfortable. When my two sons were babies my Mother stayed with them. Most of the vacations we took them on when they were small they don't remember anyway.

Archived