Luggage/Transportation in Seward

sarahruth23

We are arriving in Seward on the train around 11:00 on Friday, August 3. There are 9 of us, ranging from 6 months to 83 years. We would all like to eat lunch, then go to the Sea Life Center. Then 2 of us are heading out to Seavey's for the dog sled rides.

I have two questions - what's the best thing to do with our luggage? Can we leave it at the train station or do we have to take it to the docks? I found some threads that said the baggage handlers would take it straight from the train to the ship for me, but there seemed to be some confusion about that...

Also, how would you get around? Is it short enough to walk? Should we call a cab? (Has anyone ever asked for a cab with a car seat?) I'm going call Seavey's and I'm sure they'll be able to tell me about transportation to/from their place, so I'm really worried about train depot to Sea Life Center to dock.

You guys are making this so much easier for me - thanks a million!

Sarah

Sometimes the cruise lines do take care of luggage coming off the regular passenger train as they occasionally have a special cruise car on the end. When you get to Seward and if they don't transfer luggage for you....take a taxi and drop off your luggage at the big white bin outside of the terminal. Sometimes you're able to board early, if not you you can ask the baggage handler what time embarkation starts. From there you can take the taxi downtown for lunch and the Sealife Center, $5 fare for each leg. There was one taxi/van that had built in car seats last year. Ask one of the drivers at the depot if it's available or contact and reserve ahead. Ididaride has a free shuttle.

I too am doing the Ididarod tour and they are picking us up from the train station. They were very helpful in telling me that the train station would take your luggage early... and also told me where a good place for lunch is.

We are trying to do the dog sled tour, the aquarium and then off to see the glaciers... don't know if its all possible but I want to try!

I too am doing the Ididarod tour and they are picking us up from the train station. They were very helpful in telling me that the train station would take your luggage early... and also told me where a good place for lunch is.

We are trying to do the dog sled tour, the aquarium and then off to see the glaciers... don't know if its all possible but I want to try!

For clairfication, the depot will take your luggage, IF you are LEAVING Seward for Anchorage that day. They do not store bags for those arriving at Seward, unless they have recently changed?

Just check and see upon arrival if the cruiseline is picking up bags. The station staff will know. If not, as mentioned above, take a cab. With an infant and someone who may have mobilitiy impairments, it's way too long a walk to the Sealife Center.

Archived