what if your luggage does not arrive?

bahia puller

IF and when they find the luggage they will send it to your first port. Ours arrived on day 3 in Sr Marten and someone from the ship went to the airport and picked it up, then delivered it to our cabin. If this happens report it to the Pursers desk as soon as you get on the ship so they can keep track of it.

Cross pack! Don't put all of your casual in one suitcase and formal in the other. That way if one is missing, you will still have some clothing! If possible pack 1 or 2 outfits in your carryon!

bahia puller, I can speak from experience on this one. It happened to us last June,on our cruise out of San Juan. We checked 3 bags at our DC airport. 1 small one, had just shoes in it. 1 had all our formal clothes,and the other had our casual clothes. When we reached the airport in SJ,we got our shoe bag only. When we inquired about the other 2,we were told they went to Lincoln, Nebraska. Go Figgure!! We filled out forms with United,and they told us to check with the ship when we got onboard. They also told us we would be reimbursed if we had to purchase some items. We boarded the ship on Sunday,we got our 1 bag on Tues afternoon, and the last one on Thurs afternoon. Monday night was formal night,so we went into port that day,and got a couple of items for formal night. Didn't find much,I can tell you. We weren't exactly "formal",but we were dressed. When we got back to San Juan airport,following the cruise,we turned in a receipt for what we had spent for formal night. It was minimal,only about $115. We were again told that we would be reimbursed. HA. I had to really fight and fight,and finally we did receive a check, this past Feb. Took about 8 months,I had almost given up. Hope I never have to go thru that again. From now on,when I fly,I will personally inspect the little white tag they put on checked luggage. I will be certain it has Our Name and Correct Destination on it,before they throw it on the converyor belt. So best of luck to you.

Hi,

Our first cruise, we arrived with only 1 bag out of 4. Our bags never caught up to us but were waiting at the Miami airport when we got back. Ask Carnival for help...they did their best to help. Luckily we had some stuff in our carry on and we divided both of our things through the 4 suitcases to minimize the impact. Carnival came through with several pieces of clothes for us from their supply of clothes left on the ship and not claimed. They also gave us some new clothes that were left over and never sold in the gift shop. We bought some things at each port and Carnival did our laundry for the week free so we made it with what we had. They were very helpful and did their best for us.

Here is a letter that was written to Carnival by one of my friends whose luggage was lost and they still haven't settled it.

To whom it may concern, March 19, 2007

RE: Western Carnival Cruise on “The Valor” March 4 – 11, 2007

I’d like to think that you will have the empathy to read this letter objectively. I would also like to think that you will take TOTAL responsibility of how your “association” treated their “guests” (customers) while being inconvenienced by the airline, that you associate yourself with. (More on that story as we continue.) Please keep in mind that we choose YOUR cruise line for our vacation. Vacations, for us, are only taken every 2 years, due to our work and financial situation.

I know that you receive thousands of letters in the mail, probably on a daily basis, but hope that I receive a personalized response that pertains to the specific situations given in this letter and would expect more than just an apology. The Internet can be a powerful tool when it comes to expressing one’s self on experiences they have encountered. Please do not brush this off as “one” of those letters and file it under “G”.

Because “CARNIVAL CARES’

I will begin on stating that our travel agent made all “our” arrangements for this long awaited trip. This was our 2nd cruise made by this agency, in which we traveled with about 10 other couples. Our last cruise was a Southern Caribbean in 2005, also with Carnival, in which it was our FIRST time cruising with your line. We have contacted our travel agent about our treatment on our recent Carnival Cruise. You will also be hearing from her and possibly others that were on the trip with us. Because ‘CARNIVAL CARES’

My husband and I checked 4 pieces of luggage with US Airways, in Salisbury, MD, on March 4, 2007. We flew from Salisbury, MD into Philadelphia, PA, and then onto Miami, FL. The last time we saw our checked luggage, was in Salisbury, MD.

We arrived in Miami, FL airport around 1:00 pm, and remained there until 3:15, looking for our luggage to arrive. With no luggage, one of your “cruise line associates” said, “ we were to fill out a lost luggage report or forget it because the cruise ship was going to leave without us. The cruise was to leave at 4:00, so the cruise associate said we had to leave the airport by 3:30 or we would be left behind. So we filled out a quick report, for which we did not receive a claim number. When we arrived to the ship, WITHOUT ANY OF OUR 4 PIECES OF LUGGAGE, the time was 3:50pm. The ship never sailed until 4:30pm, because of others who were waiting for their luggage. (And some did not receive it, like us.) ‘CARNIVAL CARES’ So now we were going on a 7- day Western Caribbean Cruise, with only the shirts on our back and a change of clothes of which we packed inside our carry on luggage, THANK GOD!!!

My husband waited, in line, for over 2 hours to report our lost to the front desk, and fill out a lost baggage claim. The pursers had their hands full of others who were in the same predicament as we were. The pursers said they would deliver our luggage when they received it at the next port, which was 2 days later in the Grand Cayman Islands. Now remember, we were without any extra under garments, face/body products, swimwear, and formal wear or anything else to make us feel comfortable. My husband and I were in our rooms looking things over and remembered our toothbrushes were in our checked luggage. SO, we asked the room service attendant if he could give us a toothbrush since our luggage was delayed/lost. To much of our dismay, he said he could supply us with one for “the cost of $4.00.” “Now let me get this straight, you supply packets of toothpaste, but you won’t supply a “. 99 cent” toothbrush.” ‘CARNIVAL CARES’ Let’ see, a“. 99 cent” toothbrush VS. $1300 cruise. Someone needs to work on his or her customer service. Just an F.Y.I., we went to the “store” on the ship and purchased our toothbrushes for $2.99 each. You did not leave a very good impression with us or anyone else we talked to on the cruise, along with our friends that we were traveling with. BUT there’s more. ‘CARNIVAL CARES’

The second night on the cruise was “lobster” night in which you dress up with your best clothes for dinner. We told the matre’ d “MR. B” about our luggage being lost and he said we could come another night after we received our luggage and they would serve us the lobster dinner to us then. He also suggested that my husband go out and rent a tuxedo for the night if we did want to eat. WE WERE SPEACHLESS!!! SO, this is your idea of making someone feel special. Maybe “special” in an “embarrassing way.

“CARNIVAL CARES’

My husband spent many hours, in line for the front desk to keep up with the updates of what was going on with locating our luggage. We also became acquainted with “others” who were missing their luggage on this cruise. “We” would have meetings with different pursers who would say that they were doing “everything” they could to try to locate the lost luggage. BUT, they would do nothing for us to help “alleviate our anxiety.” ‘CARNIVAL CARES’

After a few days of meeting with your “staff” pursers, the pursers decided that they could finally do our laundry on Thursday. How nice, since we still do not have our luggage or any other change of clothing. “CARNIVAL CARES’ They also managed to give a few people, NOT ALL, a free white T-shirt with “carnival cruise” on the front. BIG DEAL…now you want us to advertise your cruise line that doesn’t even care about what we were going through without change of clothing. We couldn’t even enjoy the pool because of having our swimsuit in our lost luggage. I think you need to rethink your priorities and remember that there are other cruise lines to patronize. I know that

‘CARNIVAL CARES’

Well, finally on Thursday, March 8th, day 4 into our cruise, 3 of our 4 pieces of luggage were retrieved from Belize at 5:00 pm.

We are in the process of claiming our lost luggage with the US airways, of which

is affiliated with your cruise line. “CARNIVAL CARES”

I would like to think that you will give this letter deep consideration and reevaluate your policies on the treatment of your guests. I understand this was not your fault that the airline lost the luggage, BUT you affiliate yourself with “US Airways” and our booking was done all together with the cruise.

I own my own “Hair salon” and know that you might have to give a little more to make more in the end. If you really CARED, you would have gone out of your way to make “us” feel more at ease and treated us better. Maybe even offered a massage or dinner in our room. There were loads of ways to have made our terrible experience without luggage, feel more tolerable. It would have cost you a just few dollars vs. what you would receive in return…a repeat customer. Because ‘CARNIVAL CARES’

I will be sending a copy of this letter to as many people in your organization to make sure this does not happen again to anyone else. I am also looking forward to your

immediate and considerate response to “our” ordeal. I hope it’s worth telling others. One “unsatisfied” guest is like 100 “satisfied” ones.

If you would like anymore information concerning this trip, or any documentation to prove we, in fact, were on this trip, please feel free to contact me

Thank you for your time and consideration to this matter. We want to believe that ‘CARNIVAL really does CARE’.

Sincerely

CC

The only affiliation between USAir and Carnival is that of vendor and travel agent. I would never accept a flight on USAir. USAir ranked 13th in overall service and they are notorious for their baggage handling. I know you have very limited service on the Eastern Shore and I know that it's a bit of a pain to drive to BWI or DC, but that's exactly what I would do. Book your own airline, choose your own flights and save alot of money.

take in the carry on things that are the hardest to purchase; shoes, bathing suit, undergarments, being the foremost; nothing worse than trying to break in new shoes while walking or looking for new "unmentionables".....

formal wear is easy; you can rent it; even the ladies on the cruise, plus there are all kinds of resort casual wear on the ship - not to mention if there are any shops near the port

Yet another reason to fly in the day before.

Or two or three or more. What spent a couple of extra days in port city or laying on a beach, well worth the extra expense....10 days to the beach, 13 days to the boat.

My husbands bag was stolen in Atlanta for my brothers wedding - he wore Walmart. All of our bags ended up in Cancun two days late and last year our flight from Long Beach dead headed in Omaho after 12 hours of traveling while our bags made it to Chicago - never again!!!!!

it is a pain but after losing luggage, delayed luggage, luggage making it home before us we are now pro's.

On the plane we now carry on a small bag with a change of clothes for husband, son and I and a plastic bag with emergency "liquids" (contact solution, basic meds, makeup etc)

We then pack three separate suitcases with 1/3 of our clothes in each - that way if any one bag doesn't make it to our destination we each have clothes. It is totally a pain to pack but it is peace of mind.

On the way home we no longer assume we don't need anything until we get home- we now carry on one bag home with essentials as well

It is indeed unfortunate that someone would have to go through the hassle of lost/missing luggage but, hard as I try, I cannot see the cruise line being the responsible party.

Somehow airlines manage far too frequently screw up like this. That doesn't make it right or any easier to accept, but everyone needs to have a 'plan b' whether that includes 'cross packing', maintaining minimal necessities as carry-ons, travel insurance, or all the aforementioned. That being said, it still doesn't absolve the airline of their responsibility but laying all the blame and responsibility on the cruise line doesn't seem appropriate or reasonable.

Carnival could have at least gave them a toothbrush and 2 simple outfits. Also could have had lobster brought to their room if they would not allow them in the dinning room.
Again, it is the fault of the airline! IF Carnival was at fault, I'm certain they would give them a 'toothbrush' and a 'change of clothes', tho' it isn't guaranteed! :o

I'm sure they would have been 'accomodated' by the cruiseline for a Lobster Dinner, delivered to their cabin, had they asked...

Travel Insurance is almost a necessity... never sail/cruise without it! OR...:rolleyes:

First of all I think that is an awful letter sent to Carnival . What's with the quotation marks, bold, italics, underlining, Carnival Cares stuff repeated repeatedly? Why not write a proper letter? That kind of stuff won't impress anyone in guest relations.

I really hope they sent a worse one to the airline whose fault it really was. It had nothing to do with the cruiseline at all. Why would Carnival ever take 'total responsibility' for the airlines mistakes?

Oh well.

Can somebody explain to me why people keep touting cruise insurance on this thread? How would it have helped materially? As I understand it, they may (or may not, since luggage wasn't lost, merely delayed) have reimbured the passengers for some purchases months later after the passengers returned home and submitted claim forms. Would that have made the cruise any better?

Here is a letter that was written to Carnival by one of my friends whose luggage was lost and they still haven't settled it.

To whom it may concern, March 19, 2007

RE: Western Carnival Cruise on “The Valor” March 4 – 11, 2007

I’d like to think that you will have the empathy to read this letter objectively. I would also like to think that you will take TOTAL responsibility of how your “association” treated their “guests” (customers) while being inconvenienced by the airline, that you associate yourself with. (More on that story as we continue.) Please keep in mind that we choose YOUR cruise line for our vacation. Vacations, for us, are only taken every 2 years, due to our work and financial situation........

This is an example of how someone can basicly guarantee themselves they will never get satisifaction nor restitution. If I were the Carnival employee or executive (if it gets that high) reading this... my conclusion is here is someone who will never be satisified ....so why try.:confused:

She says she owns her own hair salon.... wonder what her reaction would be if one of her customers wrote her a similar letter complaining about the hair color or perm they got at her salon.

People do not understand you will get farther with honey instead of vinegar.

We had purchased cruise insurance on our trip. I contacted them concerning our delayed luggage. It was my understanding that the insurance would reimburse us something, as they advertise that. This what they informed me on our claim. We had to have something in writing that the airline (United in our case) was NOT going to reimburse us for anything. Only then,Maybe,the insurance would have paid something. This was a catch 22 for me, as the airline would not respond to me about anything. Someone from United,in San Juan,called my cell 1 time,and left a message. I called them back several times and never heard another word from them. Finally, I went in person to the United counter at our local airport,to see if I could get a phone number to talk to someone at United in the U.S. I was told United has no phone numbers for the public,and was handed another form to send in. I sent it,along with a very detailed letter,but figgured I would never hear anything. I didn't hear anything for about 2 more months,and was ready to just chock it up to experience,when lo and behold,we got the check in the mail.

All I can say is this insurance thing is all well and good, until you need them. Then all bets are off.

Archived