Gold Chains

I'm going to be on cruise in Western Med in June, several Italy ports, Greece, Turkey(2), Florence, Spain, looking for gold 14k 24-26" anchor marine chain similiar to illustraion..any ideas on where to shop?http://www.seawear.com/images/marine-link/stud-link~100.jpg

From what I've read (and have been told lately) Greece (Plaka area in Athens) is probably your best shot. You might get lucky in Florence also.

Personnally have purchased gold jewelry there.;)

If you've got your heart set on something specific, and you find it ahead of time, I wouldn't wait until your trip to purchase it. You may not find it. And prices for gold in Europe are no longer a bargain. Much of the gold is 18K, not 14K, which also raises the price.

Having said that, Turkey seemed to have the most reasonable gold prices last fall on our cruise, followed by Athens.

Hi - Hubby and I are celebrating our 25th Anniversary this year and will be on DCL's 070707 Med Cruise. We would like to buy new wedding bands while in Florence on the Ponte Vecchio during our visit. Nothing extravagant - we would like something simple - (more for the memory of having purchased them at this location while in Florence.)

Any suggestions on reputable jewelers?

Thanks,

Shercara

Hi - Hubby and I are celebrating our 25th Anniversary this year and will be on DCL's 070707 Med Cruise. We would like to buy new wedding bands while in Florence on the Ponte Vecchio during our visit. Nothing extravagant - we would like something simple - (more for the memory of having purchased them at this location while in Florence.)

Any suggestions on reputable jewelers?

Thanks,

Shercara

Most of the shops are pretty much the same although some specialize in some types of things(filigree/eeariing etc.) as opposed to others.Prices tend to be higher on the PV,and there are some really nice shops off the bridge.I would suggest just looking around a bit and then if you see something you both really like go for it.Know a little re the pricing here before you go so you will have some idea of the gold prices.Just an FYI.

Shercara,

Since you are celebrating you anniversary at this special spot, it is an Italian tradition to bring a small keyed lock with you to Ponte Vechio. There are bolts on the center of the bridge where a couple will attach an initialed (we used a sharpie pen) lock, usually to other locks already there, to "lock in your love"... and you throw the key into the Arno river. It is so popular they have to cut off the locks from time to time and start all over.

I suprised my wife by doing that, and she was "shocked" that I could still be romantic after all these married years... of course that was after she grilled me as to why I packed that "stupid lock" in our cruise luggage!?!

Best moment was when I spotted one Italian boy who locked his love forever with a combination lock... just in case.

Archived