Champagne waterfall crash??

Tina G

Just a rumor, but 'I HEARD' from some of the staff that is why it is so small now, previous crashes. I can remember when the waterfall was huge, set up almost on the floor and they still needed a tall stepladder to get to the top. Now, it has shrunk down to a much smaller size. Still fun to watch if you haven't seen it a lot before, but on a smaller scale then it used to be.

On our Baltics cruise on Star Princess in 2005, it crashed. It was scheduled on the only night of the whole cruise that there was any real movement of the ship. About half of the glasses went. And no, I didn't video it! My son and I got a kick out of it though.

It is always on the last formal night, usually toward midnight. They build it in the atrium, and invite passengers to climb the ladder and pour the champagne into the stacked glasses, which run down in a waterfall effect. It is followed by free bubbly and silly line dancing (YMCA, Macarena, ect.). Great photo op.

I missed it on our last cruise, what night is it usually on and where do they have it? Or does it just change, I don't remember seeing it in the Patters.

janabug,

The champagne waterfall is a Princess tradition on the second formal night. You'll find the Maitre'd and his staff constructing it in the atrium around 11pm. Then everyone is invited to pour cheap, bad champagne into it and have their picture taken. They'll be music and dancing as well. A pretty good take.;)

The Champagne Waterfall was on the second formal night during our 2005 Alaskan cruise on the Diamond Princess. To be quite honest, I didn't stay up that late to see it, but DW and her girlfriend did and said it was quite a sight.

I've not seen one crash, but have been on cruises where they have not built the waterfall because of heavy pitching seas.

It is fairly common to cancel production shows due to heavy seas - they don't want a dancer falling wrong and breaking bones.

I've never seen it crash but I did get engaged in the middle of the champagne pour 2 years ago. ;) My hubby arranged it with the cruise director so it was a huge surprise and very cool...I was famous after that...everyone saying..."that's the girl!!". It is really a do not miss event!! Let's see what the hubby does to top it on this cruise - Star Princess 4/28!!:D

janabug,

The champagne waterfall is a Princess tradition on the second formal night. You'll find the Maitre'd and his staff constructing it in the atrium around 11pm. Then everyone is invited to pour cheap, bad champagne into it and have their picture taken. They'll be music and dancing as well. A pretty good take.;)

It's actually a Sitmar tradition. When Princess bought Sitmar, some of the Sitmar traditions were kept...like the champagne waterfall, the pizza...although on Sitmar, they were individual pizzas...and the Captain's Circle, or Circolo del Commandante as it was called on Sitmar.:)

The champagne waterfall was constructed in the dining room on the last formal night at the midnight buffet. The top glass contained a bunch of purple grapes. That top glass, once the waterfall was filled, was put on a tray and a white gloved waiter would deliver it to a special person selected by the maitre'd or other officer...after all of the photos were taken of course. It truly was an honor to receive that glass. It never happened to me, but it did to one of my travelling companions. :)

It's neat to watch but the Champagne they pass out is REALLY cheap and tastes horrible compared to an average Champagne like Korbel.

But hey it's FREE so I'll take it. :D

LOL I agree! Free is free! Just one though!

Wow! I was just curious. Maybe somebody out there has a video and will post it! Thanks!

My brother has a video of a cocktail waitress dumping 4 crushed ice drinks (pina coladas and rum runners) on his wife as she delivered them to our table....:)

It's neat to watch but the Champagne they pass out is REALLY cheap and tastes horrible compared to an average Champagne like Korbel.
Yes, two major flaws: the "champagne" is horrible, and the servings are too small. :D

Archived