What do you think of this tipping idea instead of $10/day?

ohioNCLcruiser

So its pretty late here and I was thinking about NCL/NCLA's tipping idea of the $10 a person per day. I know alot of people think this is great because it takes the stress out of it, but some think it makes the crew not work as hard because they are not working for tips. The $10/day per person goes to the waiters and your cabin steward and them only. You can tip your cabin steward at the end of the cruise without a problem so the key is the waiter part. Why not at the end of every meal you get a piece of paper, like a tab at a normal place on land, and it just asks how was your meal overall (poor, great, good etc) and a line to leave a tip with your waiters name on it? That way people dont have to eat at one place, but can tip whatever amount they feel that waiter deserves. Let me know what you think of this.

thanks!

Also this could work with STYLE cards to see who is really working hard for the company. I know the current system doesnt always work. I always had a few passengers who wanted to leave a style card for me but we never had them.

I knew I wouldn't like the idea the moment I read the subject of the thread (the "instead of $10/day" tipped me off). After reading the post, I was right. I like the $10 pp per day. It is the most convenient and the most equitable way to handle tipping with Freestyle Cruising. If you want to single out an individual you can tip them extra with cash and of course mention their name on the comment cards.

I really like Freestyle Cruising because it means I don't have to follow schedules, I don't have to worry about tipping, everything is taken care of for me. It is a much more relaxing vacation.

You still have to swipe your card to get into the main dining rooms. Am I recalling correctly here that you also have to sign a blank receipt? You could add an EXTRA, repeat, EXTRA tip then.

Paying the 10/pp a day is a karma issue, not a math issue.

Extra is up to you. I carry a huge amount of singles (like 200) that I use on board and in port. I tip the cabin steward 2-3 a day. I tip the waiters far less often on NCL because I rarely get the same ones. On any another line, 30-50 extra for a ten day cruise. I don't drink any more so the bartenders are not an issue, but when I did drink, I would usually add something to the 15% already charged (like a buck).

You still have to swipe your card to get into the main dining rooms. Am I recalling correctly here that you also have to sign a blank receipt? You could add an EXTRA, repeat, EXTRA tip then.

Not on ncl. Only if you order drinks. Your sinle bills idea is a great one but not everyone thinks of that till they are there.

I have never signed a blank receipt in a main dining room on NCL. Only receipt I have ever signed in the main dining room was for beverages not included. Also, as of 3/2007 on the NCL Dream I never had to swipe my key card to get into the main dining rooms. They did this on the Spirit in June 2006 but I was never presented with any sort of receipt.

When I was on the Spirit last April, I had my card swiped each time I went into Windows or the Garden room. Nevr understood why. Does anyone know why?

im guessing they were just doing a survey type thing trying to figure out peak times etc and how many people ate there every day.

I've never had my card swipped entering the Main Restaurants on any NCL ship, never. The only time I've had my card swipped was entering a Surcharged Restaurant. So, this will not work, unless NCL starts to swipped everyone entering every restaurant, including the buffet. Which will be major hazzle at the pool side bar-b-ques, and other locales that's not equipped to swip cards.

This would require more work for the crew, and they are already over worked. Imagine the delays caused by swipping cards for 300 passengers a night,vs swipping cards for 2500 passengers a night, just to eat.

you wouldnt even need to swipe any cards. They could use the same form type that they sell teen passports and drink cards etc when you just put your cabin number and name and the waiters can enter it into their drink station which we had at every side station.

I like the $10 a day tipping policy. You're always free to adjust that number up or down and to slip outstanding crew members an extra tip in cash (which is what I do).

Another motivator-- in the dining room-- are comment cards. We saw them on every table with the wait staff's name on them at most meals. I did take the time out to comment on a few people who did an extra-ordinary job. This means a lot to them, as their wages and future promotions can be influenced by these cards.

I thought more people got tipped out of the automatic tip pool. I like the no brainer way NCL has their policy. I bring extra $1.00 and $2.00 bills for this reason. I always bring a lot extra for the kids crew staff. I know they are not in the tip pool and they are great!!!!!!

You make an interesting assertion that ONLY the cabin steward and the waiters are in the tip pool.

Is this new? The tip pool used to cover "behind the scenes" staff too. Busboys, bar-backs, Maitres d'hotel, buffet personnel, etc.

Where did you get your info?

Why do you think the $10 needs changing? It seems awfully fair to me.

Why do you think you know better how to structure the tipping, than a cruiseline, and thousands of employees?

You make an interesting assertion that ONLY the cabin steward and the waiters are in the tip pool.

Is this new? The tip pool used to cover "behind the scenes" staff too. Busboys, bar-backs, Maitres d'hotel, buffet personnel, etc.

Where did you get your info?

When I say waiter I mean the entire wait staff but you do see these people. The head waiter and the jr waiter/stewards etc. The maitres D are not in the tipping pool and thats why alot go back to being waiters. I use to work for the cruise line.

When I say waiter I mean the entire wait staff but you do see these people. The head waiter and the jr waiter/stewards etc. The maitres D are not in the tipping pool and thats why alot go back to being waiters. I use to work for the cruise line.

I recall you worked for NCLA, which does things differently than NCL...doesn't it?

The maitres D are not in the tipping pool and thats why alot go back to being waiters.

Just out of curiousity....is that because the tip pool is better for them, than being tipped directly by the passengers.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We prefer the auto-tipping (this is not a new policy but has been in place at least on the Dawn for several years now). We always bring at least 100 $1 bills so that we can tip for drinks (and yes, we know there's already at 15% gratuity added to the bill), extra for spa (yes, I know the 15% gratuity is added to the bill), etc. At the end of our cruise we have always recognized our cabin stewards with additional $$ and the butler and concierge (who are not in the tip pool).

It's our experience that everyone works for hard to help make our vacation super-special and a few extra dollars here and there amount to not so much.

Maybe things are handled differently on NCLA ships - I've never been on one............

I also like the current policy. We take along small bills too, so we can tiip additionally if we feel like the service justifies it.

As far as card swiping, they were requiring a card to swipe at all restaurants, including the main restaurants, when we sailed the Jewel in November. I was kind of curious as to why, myself, but figured it was probably for some sort of statistical analysis.

Yup pretty much.

Then why try to change it? Do you dislike the waitstaff?

You say that the auto-tip is better than relying on people to tip of their own volition...but then you try to create arrangements which circumvent the auto-tip.

Or are you just trying to rile US? ;)

So its pretty late here and I was thinking about NCL/NCLA's tipping idea of the $10 a person per day. I know alot of people think this is great because it takes the stress out of it, but some think it makes the crew not work as hard because they are not working for tips. The $10/day per person goes to the waiters and your cabin steward and them only. You can tip your cabin steward at the end of the cruise without a problem so the key is the waiter part. Why not at the end of every meal you get a piece of paper, like a tab at a normal place on land, and it just asks how was your meal overall (poor, great, good etc) and a line to leave a tip with your waiters name on it? That way people dont have to eat at one place, but can tip whatever amount they feel that waiter deserves. Let me know what you think of this.

thanks!

Also this could work with STYLE cards to see who is really working hard for the company. I know the current system doesnt always work. I always had a few passengers who wanted to leave a style card for me but we never had them.

The current system works just fine, beleive me, if a crew member gets bad reviews they will soon be gone. On several of our NCL cruises there have been comment cards available just without the tip portion. We haven't felt the system discourages good service as most of the crew knows many of us will leave extra for outstanding service. IF the system wasn't popular all the other lines would not be adopting it. HAL and Carnival both have gone with the $10 per day plan. Let's leave things the way they are for now. As for swiping cards, 6 freestyle cruises and never have we swiped a card. We have been asked our stateroom number when entering the main dining rooms a few times. NMNita

NMNita

Tipping::: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service over and above expectations; especially : TIP

This auto tipping is not a gratuity , Its payroll... Simple fact weather you are for or against.. Some seem to be rather pasionate about this topic.

Why cant NCL just add it to the cost of the fare and claim NO tipping ?

I'll tell you why , because they know people will tip over and above the auto tip like so many have mentioned above ,my self included.. I'd be willing to bet that the people who rave about the auto tipping rarely reach for that extra buck or two.. :rolleyes: ..Oh well its here to stay.

Ok , flame away.....

mpk

Archived