Dining Time? Which do you prefer?

People who prefer the late, usually do so because they don't feel rushed coming back from port and/or consider it part of the night life.

People who prefer the early usually do so because they prefer to eat closer to their regular time and/or prefer not to go to bed full.

Which dining room time do you prefer? Early or late? Our TA told us they always recommend the late, but that could be because everyone usually prefers the early and they are trying to keep the early dining open. A little help, please?

We like late because it gives us more time at the pool, port, etc. before we have to get ready for dinner. Plus, we usually eat late anyway.

We chose the 8:00 dining for our first cruise coming up. Picked that because we felt like we wouldn't have to hurry in from the ports or whatever we are doing.

At home, we usually eat earlier, around 6:00, but I feel like this won't be a problem because, on the ship or in port, we will probably be eating more for lunch and snacking throughout the day.

We've always done late dining-gives us more time to get ready for dinner, go have a cocktail before and we don't have to rush back to the ship on port days.

We don't eat dinner til 7:30 or 8 at home so i'm used to eating late. I stay up til the wee hours of the morning so no going to bed full for me.

We've always eaten late seating - kids or not. You can always order a little something from room service or grab something for the kids if they get a little hungry prior to dinner. This has always given us more time in the ports and even a chance at an afternoon nap (especially when the kids were younger) so we were refreshed for the later night.

We also never felt rushed at the late seating (which I have only heard some early diners have felt). No one is eating after us so there is no need to get us fed and get us out asap.

We eat late at home (probably too late, lol!), so for us, every cruise we like a late dinner.

I hate the idea of having to rush from a port to the ship, into the shower, rush to get to the dining room...at least with late dining, you have more time to ease into things.

Plus, we also find we're still full come midnight buffet time, so we're not tempted to indulge there, lol.

Just remember that what you "choose" may not be what you get. The Maitre d' will try to change it for you if you are assigned early/late and prefer the other. You won't know for sure what you have been assigned until you get your card just before boarding. (Only Platinum guests get to choose their exact time.):)

we chose late and loved it; no rush, time for cocktails before dinner, etc.

However, on the next cruise I'm switching to early...want to know why?:D

Because I want to eat more!! That's right; when I get back to my cabin at 10:30 after a huge dinner, I don't want any more food. That means I'm missing out on room service and pizza at 2 am!

Honestly, I'm not thrilled with either. The early is too early and the late is ridiculous. We eat dinner most days at home between 6:30 and 7pm and I try especially not to eat anything after 8pm as it is unhealthy for weight watchers and also disturbs my sleep. We chose the early seating because we had to pick one and the TA strongly encouraged it because we're taking the kids and he said other passengers prefer late seating to get away from kids.

My first cruise we chose late dining. Wanted to stay in port as long as possible and it worked out great. This time I'm trying early just to see if I like it. I don't think we'll spend as long in the ports on this cruise, so this is the perfect time to give it a try.

Honestly, I'm not thrilled with either. The early is too early and the late is ridiculous. We eat dinner most days at home between 6:30 and 7pm and I try especially not to eat anything after 8pm as it is unhealthy for weight watchers and also disturbs my sleep. We chose the early seating because we had to pick one and the TA strongly encouraged it because we're taking the kids and he said other passengers prefer late seating to get away from kids.

So take 6:15 food probably won't be hitting the table until 6:30 anyway.

Which dining room time do you prefer? Early or late? Our TA told us they always recommend the late, but that could be because everyone usually prefers the early and they are trying to keep the early dining open. A little help, please?

We prefer early - I'd rather go to the show after dinner rather than before - and if I finish eating a full meal at 10:30, I'm sleepy! So if the show isf after dinner, and we are at the late seating, we rarely go. If we have late seating and the show is before dinner, we're still rushed.

We only regretted the early dining once - different cruise line - and ports in Europe. We actually did not feel that rushed in getting to dinner - but the dining room was practically empty!! It just felt too weird!!

Previous poster was right - both are at inconvenient times - think about when you want to see the shows (and if they are important to you). Is your cruise likely to have children - and do you prefer that there are no children at your dinner time? (I have probably cruised 8 times and never been seated with children.) Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Archived