Help With Hotel Choice San Diego

Dave4120

Hello...Even though my wife and I have cruised many times, and have always had a fiarly easy time choosing a hotel a day prior to our cruise, I am really struggling with a hotel choice in San Diego for our upcoming cruise in October.

I had originally booked the Holiday Inn On The Bay because they said the hotel was going through a refurbishing. It is also located right across the street from the cruise port and has a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse that we want to try.

However, I did cancel the reservation because several reviews did not appeal to us. Maybe with the renovations, the reviews will be better.

I guess my confusion is that no matter what hotel I check on, there are excellent reviews and horrible reviews. This makes it very confusing on who to beleive. It would seem that it cannot be both, especially when it comes to the condition of the room, dirty or cdlean carpets, a clean or musty smell, old dirty bathrooms, etc.

Has anyone had any recent experiences with any hotels in San Diego that can offer some insight?

I am still thinking of re-booking The Holiday Inn On The Bay, and have also checked out Humprey's Half Moon Landing which is on the Bay in a Marina setting. But many have provided good and bad reviews of them too.

We are looking to pay up to $250 or so for the one night stay.

Thank-you for any help.

Regards,

Dave

My husband and I were in San Diego early January for a cruise. We stayed at the Hampton Inn and were very impressed. They picked us up at the airport, they drove us to the pier the next morning (we could have walked, it's that close) -for free. A breakfast is also included with the room rate. We are big walkers, so the hotel was close to lots of neat areas.

We just stayed three nights at the Holiday Inn on the bay this past weekend. There are pros and cons about the hotel.

Pros: Great location. DIRECTLY across the street from the cruise ship terminal. Literally a 30 second walk. We found the majority of the rooms have been renovated and ours was fine. Also, the Ruth's Cris is good. but not my favorote steak house experience. There are MUCH better restaurants in San Diego. Rei Do Gado on 4th street in the Gas Lamp district is a brazilian steak house and is simply superb. Try the Mojitos.

Cons: It's really loud. Like really loud. You do hear the trains, cruise ship whistles and ice machines all night long. They even provide ear plugs in the room. This was great as DW is a very light sleeper and would have had a terrible experience without them. Also, parking is 20 per day but if you're flying in it shoudn't be a concern as they offer free shuttle service to the airport. Also, the shuttle will drop you off in Horton Plaza or Seaport Village.

All in all, I think i'd stay there again. It's 3 star experience, no more. We got an 85 dollar per night priceline rate and I don't think I'd pay more than that for this particular property.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

We just stayed three nights at the Holiday Inn on the bay this past weekend. There are pros and cons about the hotel.

Pros: Great location. DIRECTLY across the street from the cruise ship terminal. Literally a 30 second walk. We found the majority of the rooms have been renovated and ours was fine. Also, the Ruth's Cris is good. but not my favorote steak house experience. There are MUCH better restaurants in San Diego. Rei Do Gado on 4th street in the Gas Lamp district is a brazilian steak house and is simply superb. Try the Mojitos.

Cons: It's really loud. Like really loud. You do hear the trains, cruise ship whistles and ice machines all night long. They even provide ear plugs in the room. This was great as DW is a very light sleeper and would have had a terrible experience without them. Also, parking is 20 per day but if you're flying in it shoudn't be a concern as they offer free shuttle service to the airport. Also, the shuttle will drop you off in Horton Plaza or Seaport Village.

All in all, I think i'd stay there again. It's 3 star experience, no more. We got an 85 dollar per night priceline rate and I don't think I'd pay more than that for this particular property.

Have stayed a few times at the Holiday Inn. OK and yes, very convenient. Not sure what they're construction entails.

We prefer the Marriot at Seaport Village (is that the correct name?). San Diego is convenient to get a round in. Almost any location works.

Somehow a hotel that provides earplugs doesnt seem right:D

I will check into the Hampton Inn and the West Coast board that Lynda listed for me. Doesn't sound like The Holiday Inn Bayside is the best place. Plus, they are asking for $225 for a King Bed with a view of the Bay!!!

Would be nice to know if any of the hotels along the Marina on Sheldon Drive are any good.

Dave

Little Italy has a European style hotel called La Pensione . Little Italy is a fun place to stay, lots of GooooD places to eat and shop. The hotel rooms are fairly small but nice and it books up quickly. Not sure of the price now .3-4 years ago you could get a room during the off season for 70-100 dollarsLittle Italy is very close to the cruise terminal

That is really too bad. The location is perfect. How much per night ??

Little Italy has a European style hotel called La Pensione . Little Italy is a fun place to stay, lots of GooooD places to eat and shop. The hotel rooms are fairly small but nice and it books up quickly. Not sure of the price now .3-4 years ago you could get a room during the off season for 70-100 dollarsLittle Italy is very close to the cruise terminal

Weve also stayed at LaPensione...its a small eurostyle hotel with reasonable rates in a cute urban neighborhood near the pier. Although the rooms are small, they are clean, updated and comfortable. We paid $89 a night last July. Weve also stayed at the Wyndham Emerald Plaza...its convenient to the pier and a full service hotel so the experience is much different from LaPensione.

Cons: It's really loud. Like really loud. You do hear the trains, cruise ship whistles and ice machines all night long.

...huh.....trains do not run all night.......ships toot their whistles when they leave, about 5 PM......and the ice machine would have to be next to your room.

I would think that the jets landing and taking off.......until 10 PM or so would be a bigger problem.

To clarify:

Trains ran until about midnight although there was an Amtrak in the middle of the night on Friday. Plane noise stopped about 10 but picked back up at 6am (although it wasn't too terrible). And the ice machine was loud all night. Incidentally, we had rooms at the end of the hallway--about as far away from the ice machine as possible and we still heard it.

My sister and I stayed at Holiday on the Bay both pre and post cruise in Feb. Neither of us had any complaints about it. We enjoyed the free breakfast in the restaurant both mornings and loved that the pier was just across the street. We also ate at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and were thrilled it was so close to the hotel :)

We'd stay there again.

I have read that the Hilton Gaslamp is a great place, especially in their building with secluded loft rooms. The bedding looks wonderfual and very comfortable and not cheap and hard like many hotels. Would you know if this hotel is in a decent section of town and is it fairly close to the cruise pier where we can just take a taxi or hotel shuttle to the cruise pier on the morning of our cruise.

Dave

The passenger trains do not run at night...Thats's when the freight trains run. Train whistles downtown at night are a big problem they are trying to solve!

A train is a train is a train. :rolleyes:

Be it freight or passenger they all have whistles.

Check out the Handlery Hotel and Resort. They have a $159 park and cruise special. They will take you to the cruise terminal, too.

www.handlery.com

Handlery is in Mission Valley...no where near the terminal.

The Hilton Gaslamp is a 3-4 min taxi ride. I recommend the Hilton, W or Grant.

A great steakhouse downtown is Rainwater's, so much better than Ruth Chris. Rainwater's is on Kettner Blvd. Delicious! Stay away from Anthony's...bad food. Yuck. Also, good eats at Top of the Market right near the terminal.

Hello Detective Mom...Thanks for the information. Hate to sound stupid, but what is the "W"? And i assume the name of the other hotel is the Grant? Of the hotels you listed, do you have any preference?

Dave

The be-all, end-all steakhouse is the Palm. They opened in San Diego not too long ago. Who can say no to the Palm? I have my caricature on the wall at the Palm in Atlantic City, and I'm a concierge. If steak isn't what you're up for, their seafood and Italian specialties (Veal Parm!!!!) will make you fall out of the chair. If it comes down to choosing between appetizers or dessert, skip the appy and get the famous Palm chocolate cake.

We very rarely have to fly to our cruise since we live so near the port in NYC and Bayonne. The few times we have cruised from "afar" were from Miami and stayed in the Embassy Suites which we loved. Complimentary open bar at night and awesome breakfast buffet! :eek: Cruised the Mex Riviera this past Jan and were looking for "good rates." DH found Hampton Inn in San Diego. It is a "no frills" hotel. As mentioned, they have a very good breakfast buffet. Not fancy, but the food is good, the coffee is excellent and it is IMMACULATE. I would eat off the floor! There is no bar, no restaurants, a small but nice pool with a few very nice tables and lounge chairs, a nice gym. It is about a 1 1/2 minute walk to the cruise terminal, the restaurant/bar at the Holiday Inn, Anthonys on the pier and has a free shuttle to/from the ship and to the Gaslight District, San Diego Zoo, etc. The room/bathroom were very comfortable, spacious and again, IMMACULATE. The front desk even held our luggage in a spare room when we arrived early pre cruise and post cruise. So it's not exactly "bustling with activity" but it is a very very nice place to stay and all the "action" is right outside the door if you wish. We are doing the same cruise next Feb (same ship, same itinerary) and we talked about where we would stay pre cruise since our friends wouldn't be joining us and we could make "our own decision" and after looking at the prices, we decided to go back to the Hampton Inn. And we like to "party" so that is saying a lot! :rolleyes: I think you have a lot of great suggestions from everyone so just figure out what you are willing to spend and what you really want. Just wanted to give you my imput on where we stayed. Have a wonderful time!

Hello Detective Mom...Thanks for the information. Hate to sound stupid, but what is the "W"? And i assume the name of the other hotel is the Grant? Of the hotels you listed, do you have any preference?

Dave

The "W" is the W Hotel at 421 West B Street. Here's their website:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/index.html

I spent one night there. The rooms and beds are very comfortable. The restaurant and bar are very trendy.

BTW, Dave, we read the menu at Ruth Chris Steakhouse and it is really expensive (for us!!) We would be getting that "great food for free" on the cruise, so we decided to go to the Gaslight District for dinner. There are tons of really great restaurants there and it is so much fun to wander the streets. The menus are posted outside on the sidewalks, so you can pick and choose. We did have dinner one night at Anthonys (on the pier) because our friends relatives live in the area and drove down and we met them there. I didn't pay attention to what anyone else had :rolleyes: but I had the crab cakes in lemon dill sauce and it was out of this world. Just IMO, with so many great places to try....a pricey steakhouse before a cruise is a waste of time and $. Good luck and happy vacation!

Archived