Best Reward Credit Card

rlkubi

Thanks so much for you info. I unfortunatly, still don't quite get it. I don't use a lot of charge cards and all this money shuffling is new to me. We've cruised four times and are planning on taking our daughter and friend as a graduation reward in 2 years. Any help I could get would be wonderful.

Questions. Say for example I spend $500 a month on groceries and another $100 on gas. That would earn me just 18 pts. right? So I'm thinking jeez this is going to take awhile, but I could use the card for other bills too? Kohls, cell phone, etc.? If I do, I only need to watch for two things...don't go over the 250 POINTS (not dollars) per month, and don't go over the monthly limit the company itself has set for me.

The max. pts. I can earn per year?

If I pay off my bill every month, are there no fees or charges?

Thanks for your help!

We run a lot of our bills through on the NCL card. For instance: cell phones, satellite/cable TV, internet providers. Some of my utilities accept charge cards, others want to charge a "convenience fee", so I don't bother with those. Groceries, anything you buy from restaurants, department store purchases, gas, Christmas and birthday presents. If you stop and think about it, it can really mount up.

Part of what's helped me come close to the maximum every year is my 2 kids college tuition and books, along with car repairs. The limit per year is 1,000 points (which translates to non-NCL purchases of $33,333 dollars), with a 250 point maximum per month ($8,333). You can use it anywhere that Mastercard is accepted -- so let your imagination run wild. There's no annual fee, and if you pay your balance in full every month, there's no service charges.

I've set up a separate savings account that I use to pay the bill off, and about once a week, I transfer money from my checking account into the savings account for that week's charges so that the funds are there when the bill is due. For me, that just makes it easier. Otherwise, I'd be freaking out with the idea of a $2,000 charge card bill each month (which is about what I average).

Hopefully those suggestions will help. We're a middle-income family with two kids in college, and the $2,000 I've been able to redeem in 2 1/2 years has definitely helped us afford to be able to cruise more often.

I have a couple of cards from Citi that all are tied in to the Thank you network. I get 3pts/$ on gas, restaurants, groceries and home improvement. They also have special deals you get for using the online portal to shop. Last year I got 4pts/$ on our cruise.

There are lots of things you can do with the points, but it's basically 10000 points gets you a $100 gift card. They have gift cards for Royal Caribbean and Carnival on the site. You can earn up to 100,000 points per year. There are LOTS of things other than the cruises that you can redeem for.

Although I don't use cards tied into cruises, my favorite is my Starwood AMEX. We charge most things and pay the card off every month. Last year on our trip to Alaska we were able to stay at a Sheraton at the airport free. Two rooms at the Westin in Vancouver-free(great hotel and great location, and two nights at the Anchorage Sheraton-free. We also used a United card to upgrade to a first class flight. It does take work to make sure you don't pay any finance charges but the pay-off are terrific.

I like Amex also.

You can turn ant amex card from a charge card to a credit card if you need to. I have ask and they have done it, Intrest is not horrid.

what i like is I can use points for lots of things. I'm not stuck with 1 product.

I tranfer the points into delta this week and buy a tennis racket next week.

I don't know the best rewards card, but I certainly know one of the worst. I loathe the day I signed up for the Carnival Sea Miles card...you can only cash in seamiles in 10,000, 25,000 or 50,000 increments, so if you have anything accumulated in between you have to keep buying to get to the next level. 10,000 seamiles will basically get you 150.00-200.00 off the price of a 7-day cruise per cabin. ( not per person )

I really like my Hilton AMEX card.

Archived