Between Muster and Sailing

Tenga1899

Hey, finally thought of a question as a first timer that I dont remember seeing on these boards yet. (No, no MORE booze policy, smuggling, or have you been in my exact cabin questions:D :rolleyes: ) I remember on one of those Travel Channel cruise shows the host saying there is barely enough time between the end of the lifeboat drill to when they sail to drop off your lifejacket and make it back to see them leave the dock. Think that show was about RCCL, whats that time frame like for Carnival. First cruise is upcoming and wouldnt want to miss a fun moment like that!

mmm, on second thought, if everyone is blowing bubbles(who knows, maybe me, it is a vacation) and I've already got a drink in hand...maybe it would be safer to keep the jacket on for when I slip and bust my tail!:eek: lol

I've been IN a life boat drill when taken off before. Oh, and on the Paradise it was after we left;)

Yup, it's mostly the luck of the draw, sometimes depending on whether the ship takes off exactly on time. Sometimes the ship will be delayed due to a large number of 'known' delayed flights (air connections booked by the cruise line)

I've also seen a trip on Costa where the drill occured the day after departure right before a Key West stop! (This was a ship with a 7PM departure from Ft Lauderdale, so I guess dinner was in the way.) Technically, the drill has to occur within 24 hours, but most ships will get the darn thing out of the way so the fun can begin!

On all four of our cruises, we were underway before we could get back to our cabins to put the lifejackets away. The two that left from Miami were the best. You pull out, go down and turn around, then go back up the waterway towards the ocean. You see a lot of shore with people waving at you before you hit the open ocean. In NOLA, it was dark by the time we left. At Port Canaveral, you're right on the ocean.

Last week on the Sensation we were supposed to leave at 4pm. However if I remember I think it was about 5:30 or so when we left. Two other cruise ships pulled out before us. Muster drill was at 4pm. The capers said 3:30pm in bold black letters. I made our family go up to the Lido deck by the pool area at 3:30pm. I was the only one to wear my life jacket. Boy I felt like an idiot. All of these people were looking at me. Even my DH and DS started to poke fun at me. So I yanked that thing off until I really had to wear it.

We had plenty of time to get back to our cabin to get rid of the life jackets. Then go outside and watch the send off. That was so neat.

We let other people exit the Muster drill before us and after standing there for what felt like 45 minutes I was pretty upset to see that I wasn't even off the deck before the big sail away. :-(

Have never missed sailaway out of NY. By the time you get back to your cabin, throw in the life jacket, head up to the highest point. It takes a while to get out of the pier and to see anything good anyway. Statue of Liberty will be on the left about 25 - 30 minutes after you pull away from pier. Under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge about 15 - 20 minutes later.

First cruise is upcoming and wouldnt want to miss a fun moment like that!

It doesn't happen in an instant (or a moment).

These are huge vessels and they take some time to untie, back off the docks, turn around (if required) and exit the port.

Have never missed sailaway out of NY. By the time you get back to your cabin, throw in the life jacket, head up to the highest point. It takes a while to get out of the pier and to see anything good anyway. Statue of Liberty will be on the left about 25 - 30 minutes after you pull away from pier. Under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge about 15 - 20 minutes later.

I think you mean the right. On Victory, 7/15/06, statue was off the starboard side heading out of port.

Hey, finally thought of a question as a first timer that I dont remember seeing on these boards yet. (No, no MORE booze policy, smuggling, or have you been in my exact cabin questions:D :rolleyes: ) I remember on one of those Travel Channel cruise shows the host saying there is barely enough time between the end of the lifeboat drill to when they sail to drop off your lifejacket and make it back to see them leave the dock. Think that show was about RCCL, whats that time frame like for Carnival. First cruise is upcoming and wouldnt want to miss a fun moment like that!

last cruise they set sail during the drill. now that was bit of a bummer.

We always go to the lifeboat drill. On one cruise we got a notice in our cabin that we did not attend the lifeboat drill! I was irritated. I called down to the purser's office and straightened it out. Anybody have this happen to you? What did they make you do? Do they give the no shows their own lesson?

We always go to the lifeboat drill. On one cruise we got a notice in our cabin that we did not attend the lifeboat drill! I was irritated. I called down to the purser's office and straightened it out. Anybody have this happen to you? What did they make you do? Do they give the no shows their own lesson?

i didn't know they did that! i'm glad they do. not glad that they made a mistake w/ you, but glad they are trying to keep tabs on no-shows.

Well then I hope its just one of those days...Don't want to miss it but there is always cruise #2, whenever that will be ;) And I know it takes a while, (esp. if there are those stragglers!), I have a pontoon boat thats used as a party barge in the summer, it takes forever to leave the landing because someone always is late. I can only imagine with 2000 on board...lol. I've got another ? though that Ive been wondering about and I guess I thought I would figure it out on the ship, but any opinions on the best place to elbow for a spot on the Sensation? Obviously up high, but I was wondering if the secret door (if there is one on that ship) would lead to a funner place to watch.

i didn't know they did that! i'm glad they do. not glad that they made a mistake w/ you, but glad they are trying to keep tabs on no-shows.

How the heck do they know who was there and who wasn't? I would never miss a drill for sure, but how would they KNOW if I did?

I have been on cruises where they call out a cabin number and you raise your hand. ( I think it was on the Norwegian Sky, inaugural season). They would also know if you were hanging around the ship and not at the drill. What would they do? Has anyone had someone come up to them and ask why they aren't at the drill?

How the heck do they know who was there and who wasn't? I would never miss a drill for sure, but how would they KNOW if I did?

I could never figure that out on carnival... NCL actually called out Room #s.

Archived