Between Muster and Sailing

Tenga1899

Anybody have this happen to you? What did they make you do? Do they give the no shows their own lesson?

Our tablemates on one cruise did not make the muster drill, because they were still in the check in line. They had a make up drill for all the folks that got on late. I don't know if that was because it was quite a problem on this cruise, or it that is normal.

We were some of the first folks on board, but we heard horror stories from others. There had been a Norwalk scare on another ship, so they were screening everyone, so the lines got really long, really fast.

I have been on cruises where they call out a cabin number and you raise your hand. ( I think it was on the Norwegian Sky, inaugural season). They would also know if you were hanging around the ship and not at the drill. What would they do? Has anyone had someone come up to them and ask why they aren't at the drill?

I have read where they make the cabin stewards check all of their cabins to make sure nobody tried to skip out.

Maybe it's because we always sail out of NY, but I've never had a problem missing sail away. We always have enough time to get back to the cabin, make a drink, with our smuggled booze, ;) get the video camera ready, and relax.

One of these days I will put my Big Girl Pants on and fly to Miami. Perhaps it's different from Southern Ports.

On the Glory, we left the port WHILE we were at the muster drill. :( We were almost out to the open ocean by the time we ran up on deck. There was no time to take our life jackets back to the cabin first. Most other times, we have time to drop off the life jackets and head on up with no problem. A couple times, the departure was delayed a bit so we had a lot of time between the drill and sailaway.

My husband and I missed the pulling away from the pier because we were going back to cabin with life jackets ect. I think maybe in the future we will do what we saw some others doing on our cruise and just take our life jackets with us to the sailaway.

I don't remember whether or not they blew the horn when we left our embarkation port, but they did blow it when we left Cozumel. We were held up with another ship and left a couple of hours late. As we moved away from the dock and out to sea, the two ships exchanged horn blasts for what seemed like forever. There's nothing like it!

On the Glory, we left the port WHILE we were at the muster drill. :( We were almost out to the open ocean by the time we ran up on deck. There was no time to take our life jackets back to the cabin first. Most other times, we have time to drop off the life jackets and head on up with no problem. A couple times, the departure was delayed a bit so we had a lot of time between the drill and sailaway.

We had the same experience on the Glory - they started to sail during the muster drill. Boo! :(

On our other cruise (Miracle), we had plenty of time in between. I suppose we'll see what our experience is with the Liberty in August!

CoronaGuy...No Jolt. The horn blows. It is really thrilling. :)

That is the biggest thrill of mine, just to hear that horn blow for the first time! Boy, I know then that my cruise has officially started! And I have to wait for 99 more days:eek: until I get to hear that horn.....darn!

Tenga,

Just a piece of advice, don't be the first one to show up for the lifeboat drill, if you are the first one to show up you will end up 4 or 5 rows deep and it gets really hot and crowded every cruise we took we seen someoe faint due to the heat, the last 6 cruises (learned the hard way on our first cruise) we waited a few extra minutes before we left our cabin and we had first row, you will appreciate the breeze you get when you are in the first row.....

Tenga,

Just a piece of advice, don't be the first one to show up for the lifeboat drill, if you are the first one to show up you will end up 4 or 5 rows deep and it gets really hot and crowded every cruise we took we seen someoe faint due to the heat, the last 6 cruises (learned the hard way on our first cruise) we waited a few extra minutes before we left our cabin and we had first row, you will appreciate the breeze you get when you are in the first row.....

Hey, thanks, PROBABLY wont have an issue if I am buried deep, but sounds like a great thing to keep in mind....maybe I need to start making notes, you guys have all that "cruise common sense" stuff down thanks to experience :D

Archived