Review of Discover the Real Jamaica, a RCI Excursion

I posted this several days ago on the Jamaica board, but I thought it would also be relevant for cruisers in here. :)

We did the RCI excursion called Discover the Real Jamaica. The excursion took us along the beautiful countryside and up into the hills. We ate lunch at a plantation, which was an authentic Jamaican lunch. We had jerk pork, chicken, and many native fruits and vegetables. We got a tour of the important plants that are in the country, what they use them for (ie. food, medicine, etc.). Before our lunch, we ventured to a pineapple farm where we sampled pineapple and coconut fresh from the fields. You got to taste the coconut milk, the meat, and the water. We then ventured to a local schoolhouse. The children there are sooo cute and photogenic. They were around 3-7 years of age, if I remember correctly. After that we went to a church and walked around its grounds. Then we took another drive back along the countryside back to the ship. It was nice to do something so cultural. The people were friendly and the food was delicious.

If you aren't into the falls, the beach, shopping, etc. this was a WONDERFUL trip to take to actually see a country beyond the general tourist areas. This excursion comes highly recommended by myself and all of my family members who joined me. :)

If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to search my memory (or call DH if that doesn't work LOL) and answer them.

Nope. The tour wasn't crowded as most of the masses tend to do the tours that go see the falls. I'd say we had about 15-20 people when we went. Yes, the bus that we were on was air-conditioned. Be sure to bring a camera as you drive way up into the hillside and the views are spectacular!

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! DH finally edited my pictures and got them all facing the right direction for me. :D Below are the pictures from our Freedom cruise in January. Most of these pictures are from our excursion, Discover the Real Jamaica. Please keep in mind that I took some of these from a relatively fast moving bus. LOL

http://www.stormaster.com/cruise2007/

What was the price?

Here's all the info from the website, in case I missed something.

Discover the Real Jamaica

s.gif

Activity Type: Sightseeing & City Tours | Cuisine Tours

s.gif

Approximate Duration: 4 hour(s) 45 minute(s)

s.gif

Prices starting from:

*84.00 USD (Adult)

*78.00 USD (Child)

*0.00 USD (Infant)

Travel along the historic inland roads of the Jamaican countryside to the Hilton Estate , your host for this fabulous tour. Family members will greet you with a drink before you take a short walk down a lazy country road to St. Leonards where the children will entertain you with their charming songs during the school year. See an old sugar mill in the village where juice is extracted from fresh sugar cane, sample fresh cut pineapple right in the field. See the majestic old Sacred Heart Mission in the German Village of Seaford Town. Return to the Pavillion House for a delicious pig roast, chicken or fish lunch served with as many as 12 exotic Jamaican vegetables and complimentary rum punch. After lunch you may stroll the property or relax and listen to the delightful music of a mento band. You may not be ready to return, but the trip is part of the day’s adventure. You will be taken along the border of the Cockpit Country. Returning to Montego Bay at the end of a perfect day, but the beginning of a beautiful memory.

Oh, that will not work for me. When I am on Freedom we got to Ocho Rios not Montego Bay.

Bummer. :( Perhaps another time...or maybe they'll start to offer something similar soon at Ocho Rios. Maybe if enough people show interest, they will expand it. :confused:

• 2 months later...
Great pics Erin. Thx. I missed having IDs & slideshow tho. Is the slide show avail? It looks like a great time to really see the country & relax @ the same time! Arggg. Just read on & see it's not on our itenerary!

I'm a bit delayed in responding...but I don't believe you can view the pics as a slideshow. It's my DH's server/website though. I will try to remember to ask him.

Thanks for posting this Erin............we will be there next April and it sounds like something we might be interested in..........this is really helpful.

Thanks for posting this Erin............we will be there next April and it sounds like something we might be interested in..........this is really helpful.

You're welcome. This excursion was wonderful (if I didn't say that before). All of my family that came along with us were also impressed. It is great for people who are really into experiencing the culture. There is one place that you can shop at, which is a little building where ladies will make you custom-made dresses for you. Other than that, no shopping and no hassle.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived