My video of Dunn's River falls

i-m-ed

Went to Dunn's River Falls and all I can say is what a cattle call. For me it was way too crowded followed by a gauntlet of locals trying to sell their wares. One person asked my son his name and when he told him he carved it into a wooden statue and said "a gift for you" he thanked him and took it. He then said I needed to give him a tip, I refused and he became upset, I gave him back his statue and walked on only to have others try the same move. I dug out some of my video of the climb and have it linked here. Also, many of the rocks are man made so you will not necessarily be climbing a natural waterfall.

My video from the falls

Note: click on an image to play the video.

• 4 weeks later...

What time of day did you go to Dunns River Falls? I wonder if it is less crowded earlier in the day. Some tours say they arrive early to miss the crowds. :)

We did this 6 years ago, and I don't remember it being this crowded. Thanks for sharing with us. Better to know what to expect.:eek:

Wow-that is really crowded. We've never been to Jamaica, our first

trip will be this July on Enchantment. Is that a beach at the bottom

of the falls? I wouldn't mind seeing them, but I don't think I want

to climb them. Also, can you walk from the dock to the falls?

After all the cautionary postings I read about Ocho Rios and Jamaica, we were somewhat apprehensive when we docked there last week. What a total surprise! We found the people to be friendly and very pleasant. Yes, there were vendors who approached us to buy their wares and a little humor as we declined was enough to leave everyone in a good mood. We were not harassed by anyone, offered drugs or any of the other stories one reads about on this forum - we did not see any of the others harassed either at the falls or elsewhere as we wandered around. Dunns River Falls was crowded - but to be expected when hundreds of people land there at the same time from a cruise ship. We climbed the falls and enjoyed the experience. We did not book through the cruise ship but did it privately upon docking - it cost us a whole lot less than if we had done it through the cruise ship.

Perhaps our experience in Jamaica was the exception - though I doubt it. I really feel that one has to have a certain tolerance when it comes to visiting other countries that things are done differently than in the US. To go abroad and expect American mores to prevail is not going to happen - and it detracts from enjoying what another country has to offer.

This was part of a cruise tour and we arrived somewhere around 11:00 A.M. We were never offered drugs from anyone during our stay in Jamaica but the vendors at the markets were definately pushy. Their tactic was to approach my children and try to hard sell them hoping that we would buy gifts for them. I thought it was kind of raw to ask my 8 y/o his name then carve it into a statue, give it to him as a "gift" then ask me to pay for it. I feel very fortunate that my children are not easy marks as my son freely relinquished his "gift" when I refused to pay for it.

I will say that my experience in Jamaica wasn't bad but the vendors are some of the pushiest I've ever experienced.

For me Dunn's River Falls was a very big disappointment. On top of it being way too crowded much of the falls is man made.

I may have liked the falls a little better if it weren't soooo crowded and as can clearly be seen in my video I am not exaggerating about the crowds. My suggestion to anyone that really wants to go to the falls is get there very early and do not book through the cruise lines, otherwise find something else to do.

Ewww! Our experience was so different. We booked a private tour with Marva Shaw (http://www.knowjamaica.com) and were the second (maybe third?) vehicle in the parking lot. We arrived at the falls around 9:30'ish and had no crowds. We really enjoyed our tour, but, if it would have been like yours, I'd say we'd be very disappointed too. If you go back, try a non-ship sponsored tour.

I too experienced the cattle call. We did a combo and the falls were second stop. I finally exited early because the groups behind us kept shoving us up the falls to get through themselves. Did go out the entrance though so no vendors. And yes we were offered drugs a few times in the parking lot. Just say no works fine. I would do it on a private tour next time and do DRF first cause it was beautiful but massively crowded.

Like QT, we booked through Marva and were the only group on the falls. Our group was maybe 10 people with 2 guides. People should read these boards and understand that your experience in Ocho Rios using a well-known private tour like Marva Shaw, Peat Taylor, etc. will cost LESS yet be so much better than the hordes that come with the cruise-sponsored excursions. These tour guides are so familiar with the cruise ship schedules and do such an excellent job of steering you around the throngs of people.

I am glad you clarified that you were in a cruise excursion so that people will know it isn't always that crowded. I think it's unfortunate that you got caught in the masses and were unable to enjoy your time. It is equally unfortunate that your experience may dissuade some people from experiencing the falls.

Even though some parts were reinforced with mesh and concrete, I don't think the average person will ever notice. The falls are a beautiful setting and will be a unique experience for most people to be able to walk through them.

Like QT, we booked through Marva and were the only group on the falls. Our group was maybe 10 people with 2 guides. People should read these boards and understand that your experience in Ocho Rios using a well-known private tour like Marva Shaw, Peat Taylor, etc. will cost LESS yet be so much better than the hordes that come with the cruise-sponsored excursions. These tour guides are so familiar with the cruise ship schedules and do such an excellent job of steering you around the throngs of people.

I am glad you clarified that you were in a cruise excursion so that people will know it isn't always that crowded. I think it's unfortunate that you got caught in the masses and were unable to enjoy your time. It is equally unfortunate that your experience may dissuade some people from experiencing the falls.

Even though some parts were reinforced with mesh and concrete, I don't think the average person will ever notice. The falls are a beautiful setting and will be a unique experience for most people to be able to walk through them.

Unless the private tour guides can get the people to the falls very early and also leave early I don't see how they can help avoid the massive backup at the falls. At 11:30 A.M. the falls will be equally crowded for everyone visiting them regardless of what tour they are on. I guess I'm a little biased too. I spent time in OK and used to weekend at Turner Falls in Davis OK and to me Turner Falls is much more beautiful than Dunn's River, it was also much less crowded.

That IS alot of people.....doesn't look like much fun.

If Marva is SO popular how does she not have hundreds of people on her tours......how would the crowds be any different.

QTMichelle, how did you guys manage to be that close in front....did you wake up extra early and almost run to disembark so you'd be one of the first people off. What time did the ship dock and what time did you get off?

If Marva is SO popular how does she not have hundreds of people on her tours......how would the crowds be any different.

QTMichelle, how did you guys manage to be that close in front....did you wake up extra early and almost run to disembark so you'd be one of the first people off. What time did the ship dock and what time did you get off?

Marva and the other tour guides are just a small setup. I have never seen an advertisement for them aside from the people who enthusiastically post their experiences on boards like these. I do see their business growing as each one of them has hired others to conduct their tours. Even so, they remain very small operations...getting new business by word of mouth.

Our group DID get to the falls before the cruise groups. As I-M-ED probably knows, the cruise excursions are very large groups and don't leave the docks until EVERYONE gets assembled. We walked off the ship, passed all those big groups standing around, found our guide, and were up at the falls in no less than 20 minutes. I bet those cruise tours didn't pull away from the docks in anything less than an hour. The private tour guides know to get there as your first stop in your tour to avoid the crowds. When we were done at the falls, I did see the huge cruise tours piling off the buses. So, it doesn't involve getting up earlier or leaving the ship earlier. We didn't run to disembark and were probably in the middle of the pack getting off the ship. Our ship arrived at 7am and we had arranged to meet Marva at 8:30, so we ate breakfast and left the ship around 8:15. Temperature was already in the 80's and climbing. I think we were finished and leaving the falls at about 9:45 or so on the way to do the tubing. We were also the ONLY group that I saw on the tubing river or in the vendor area at that time. Then we stopped for lunch at a little place Marva knew about a little after 12pm.

Of course, you can read these boards and see the endless raving reviews from almost anyone who used the private tours. I only hope they will be able to maintain their great service as word continues to get around.

Geez, if I went to see the falls I would want to see the waterfall, not hundreds of people trying to walk up the rocks. How dangerous is that? Doesn't look fun to me. :rolleyes:

Marva and the other tour guides are just a small setup. I have never seen an advertisement for them aside from the people who enthusiastically post their experiences on boards like these. I do see their business growing as each one of them has hired others to conduct their tours. Even so, they remain very small operations...getting new business by word of mouth.

Our group DID get to the falls before the cruise groups. As I-M-ED probably knows, the cruise excursions are very large groups and don't leave the docks until EVERYONE gets assembled. We walked off the ship, passed all those big groups standing around, found our guide, and were up at the falls in no less than 20 minutes. I bet those cruise tours didn't pull away from the docks in anything less than an hour. The private tour guides know to get there as your first stop in your tour to avoid the crowds. When we were done at the falls, I did see the huge cruise tours piling off the buses. So, it doesn't involve getting up earlier or leaving the ship earlier. We didn't run to disembark and were probably in the middle of the pack getting off the ship. Our ship arrived at 7am and we had arranged to meet Marva at 8:30, so we ate breakfast and left the ship around 8:15. Temperature was already in the 80's and climbing. I think we were finished and leaving the falls at about 9:45 or so on the way to do the tubing. We were also the ONLY group that I saw on the tubing river or in the vendor area at that time. Then we stopped for lunch at a little place Marva knew about a little after 12pm.

Of course, you can read these boards and see the endless raving reviews from almost anyone who used the private tours. I only hope they will be able to maintain their great service as word continues to get around.

Did your ship dock in Ocho Rios? Our's will dock in Montego Bay....will that make a difference with the crowds because it's a 1-2 hour drive to Ochos Rio?

Geez, if I went to see the falls I would want to see the waterfall, not hundreds of people trying to walk up the rocks. How dangerous is that? Doesn't look fun to me. :rolleyes:

A private tour is the only way to go. We are a small group going with Peat Taylor in August - can't wait :D !!!

Did your ship dock in Ocho Rios? Our's will dock in Montego Bay....will that make a difference with the crowds because it's a 1-2 hour drive to Ochos Rio?

I would say the key is to get in and out of the falls area early so as to miss the crowds. However, you would still be rushed in order to avoid the crowds. I would want to spend the day hanging around the falls and beach instead dashing in and out to avoid crowds. Leaving from Montego Bay would place you right in the middle of rush hour.

FWIW I too would recommend against ship sponsored tours and as a general rule don't do them as they are expensive and typically aren't worth the money.

Our problem was that Jamaica had little that we wanted to do so we were grasping for straws when we opted for Dunn's River Falls. In hind sight we should have booked a private tour and gone to YS falls.

I don't know when rush hour starts or how long it lasts but it was in full force by 11:00 A.M. when we were there.

That IS alot of people.....doesn't look like much fun.

Hi there! Davey Wavey pointed out some great info that I won't repost, but I will add that our scheduled time to meet Marva was at 9:30 at the end of the dock. Because of the huge crowd getting off the ship, we were late. Marva waited for us though! (We didn't pre-pay, you pay when your tour begins, but she had FAITH that we'd be there - kudos to Marva!) Marva took us to DRF immediately so we would avoid the congestion. This was key, from what I understand.

If you are docking in Mo Bay, then I would reconsider the DRF excursion. As you mentioned, you'll be travelling for several hours just to get to and from your destination. The crowds will probably be in full force by the time you get there AND you never know how the traffic on the roads will be between OR and MoBay. If this is something you REALLY want to do, then talk to a recommended tour guide and see if they'll do this excursion for you OR book the ship's excursion so you don't worry about missing the ship.

Good luck to you and please let us know what you decide to do. :)

This looks awfull... wow! We (my wife and I) went through Trevor Hudlin... We were the only two people with Trevor and he brought us early in the morning... there was one small group ahead of us. We decided to do the falls by ourself without the guide! It was awesome... we were pretty much the only people throughout our climb... we charted our own route with trial and error... so it added to our excitment... When we left the falls I saw the huge bus with people booked through the cruise... Also I walked in through the market just to see... the vendors were aggressive but definitely not pushy and no one offered us drugs!!

We docked at 7am our tour started at 8:15 BUT if you want to do Dolphin Cove (which we did) you must go through the cruise line so no option on what time we got there. My next trip I'll go with a private guide. The zip line and DC are both cruise ship exclusives on port days so consider that. Also there were only 2 ships in port on our day can't imagine the DRF crowds if more ships there.

• 2 months later...

We also toured with Trevor Hudlin and I'd recommend him highly but I would skip the falls. It just wasn't fun, it was stressful! Trevor got us there early, but it was still crowded, the guides did little except take photos with climbers' cameras, and they were adamant that everyone hold hands, leaving some unfortunate climbers to assist the young/old/weak/scared. There was more than one occurrence of climbers being taken out by ambulance that day, at least two for broken bones.

Jamaica has such wonderful people, sites, music and food. Book with one of the private tour operators and have them personalize a tour for you that doesn't include DRF.

We went to Dunns River Falls on 25th July with Marva Shaw. We met her at 8.00 am off the ship, although some arrived late - 8.30am. We went straight to the falls and were the first to climb that day. There were 10 in our party with a guide to take us up the falls. There were others following, but nothing like this video. Once we got to the top, we saw the crowds start to arrive, I expect it was like this by 11.00-11.30am.

There are places in the falls where improvements have been made to make them easier and safer to climb, but most of the falls is natural. It's such a shame where people have carved their names into the rock. This will erode away in time, but it really spoils it. Can't wait to get our photos back. We used a disposable water camera, even though we had a waterproof camera bag, because we were afraid of falling against the rocks. Someone else climbing did have a proper, rubber protected, waterproof camera holder that they used.

While we climbed, we left our stuff in Marva's van and it was quite safe.

I'd recommend having a go at this, but book with a private tour and get there very early. :D

Archived