Immigration question again

mii

I know that coming from the U.S. and entering Victoria we go through Canada Customs. We plan to rent a car in Skagway and go to the Yukon. When we come back do we go through U.S. immigration or when we enter the Yukon do we go through Canada immigration. Thanks

I don't believe there's a complicated immigrations process like at the airport where they search you and stuff. I just remember bringing along my passport. I believe it's just like at the main border crossings where they just glance at your documents and wave you on your way.

There are both US and Canadian officials when you drive from Skagway into Canada as well as when you return. But it is a very quick process - show your passports and you are off.

There are both US and Canadian officials when you drive from Skagway into Canada as well as when you return.

You only stop at Canada Customs on the way north, and only at US Customs on the way back to Skagway. Both stops are quick and simple (as long as you're polite! :D ).

Murray

Yeah, the customs post driving to/from Skagway is just one lonely hut with one lonely officer. They may give you a bit more scrutiny if you have kids with you, so make sure you have everyone's birth certificates/passports with you. (I mean, you should be doing this anyway, just a reminder.)

We may be traveling with another couple on our cruise and one of them has a felony record - years ago and not proud of it...

Does anyone know if we may be turned away when driving from Skagway to Emerald Lake when we reach Canada? I know that she wants to avoid the train and the Jeep Tour for fear of humiliation of being refused entrance into Canada.

Does anyone know if, when entering Canada by car this way if they are hooked into US Homeland Security (there was a thread out there about this) and will find this person's record and turn us away? This person's passport will probably not make it to her in time for the cruise, so she will have her birth certificate and marriage license.

If I knew there was a good chance of this happening, we would stop and the border and head back. If that were the case, would it still be a nice, scenic drive or not really worth it?

Thanks!

It's not a given that it is "quick and easy" and I most certainly am polite. Twice I've been searched by Canadian customs in Fraiser. Had to get out of the car- opened trunk, all packpacks, looked though laundry. :) And did scan passports both by the Canadians and Americans. This was last year and prior.

Thanks, BQ! We do not have passports - just birth certificates and marriage licenses. Can you tell me if it would be worth the drive if we felt we should turn around at the border? Is it beautiful and scenic up to that point? Emerald Lake is in Canada - correct?

I totally understand them going through our things before entering the country. We do not have passports - just birth certificates and marriage licenses (we started the process to late to get them in time for this cruise). I just wonder if they would know about her record with that limited information.

Thanks!

I've only made this trip once (August 2006) and can only speak from my own experience. The nice Canadian official looked over our birth certificates, ignored my passport (I'm the only person who has one), and gave a little extra scrutiny to our 3 kids (just making sure they "matched" us and the birth certificates, I think). At no point was anything entered into a computer, so there was no way she could have detected any past criminal records (not that we have any...). Maybe it made a difference because we didn't have any luggage and that probably screamed "daytrippers from Skagway".

The drive from Skagway to the border was very nice - lakes, waterfalls, mountains, etc. In fact, between the border and Caribou Crossing it was pretty (forests and plains) but nothing extraordinary. If you got turned back at the border, you'd miss the Carcross Desert (very strange, a sandy desert in the midst of a forest) and Emerald Lake (beautiful and unusual color); the rest of the Canadian part of the drive was nice but not mind-blowing.

Only you and your friends can determine whether or not it's worth the risk of being turned back at the border. If I was in your shoes, I think I would take the chance, though.

For clairfication, I did not have any luggage. A couple piles of folded laundry in the trunk and a couple back packs, 1 in the back seat.

I couldn't figure out why you were targetted, but now I see - that would look very odd at Fraser! :D

I couldn't figure out why you were targetted, but now I see - that would look very odd at Fraser! :D

I'm just a border magnet. I got held up over an hour at Port Maris, Minnasota last August, even called my workplace. Knew I had been in Vancouver and Fraiser- tripped me up because they asked when was the last time I was in Canada and I said Vancouver, but had forgotten I had driven across Ontario from Ft. Erie. :) And have been pulled over many times in Ft. Erie and Niagara Falls.

How long of a drive is it to Emerald Lake?

Do I need to take some food or are there cheap restaurants along the way?

Is it worth paying for a rental car and the gas to do this?

Gas stations too far apart?

Thanks, CJ :) :)

>>How long of a drive is it to Emerald Lake?<<

Figure on 5 hours there and back to allow for photo and meal stops. See my guide at http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html for lots of info on the trip.

>>Do I need to take some food or are there cheap restaurants along the way?<<

There are cafes at Carcross and north of the village at Caribou Crossing and Spirit Lake.

>>Is it worth paying for a rental car and the gas to do this?<<

I've made the drive hundreds of times and it still thrills me.

>>Gas stations too far apart?<<

The only gas station you need is the one in Skagway when you return.

How long of a drive is it to Emerald Lake?

Do I need to take some food or are there cheap restaurants along the way?

Is it worth paying for a rental car and the gas to do this?

Gas stations too far apart?

Thanks, CJ :) :)

Skagway to Carcross 150 miles round trip. Allow 4-5 hours, endless scenery and stops available. There aren't a lot of food options A couple places near Carcross, taking some packaged snacks isn't a bad idea.

It's worth the cost- if of interest to you???

You can make it back and forth easily on the gas you get with the car. Then you fill up at Second and State in Skagway (also the laundry mat) and return your car.

Thanks, BQ! We do not have passports - just birth certificates and marriage licenses. Can you tell me if it would be worth the drive if we felt we should turn around at the border? Is it beautiful and scenic up to that point? Emerald Lake is in Canada - correct?

I totally understand them going through our things before entering the country. We do not have passports - just birth certificates and marriage licenses (we started the process to late to get them in time for this cruise). I just wonder if they would know about her record with that limited information.

Thanks!

They may or may not run your documents through the computer (though usually not). If they do, you'll probably be turned back. If I thought that might happen to me, I doubt I'd try to cross the border into Alaska anymore - at least until I got an official pardon, wich is an option for your friend.

Murray

Archived