"Noon whistle" on Princess?

Vic The Parrot

I was talking with some fellow ship-enthusiasts, and the topic of the noon whistle came up. It's a shame that alot of cruise lines are slowly dropping this great tradition. Now, it's usually an announcement around 1pm, followed by 20 min of the CD blabbing about the days activities :rolleyes:

Do the Princess captains still carry on with this ?

Some Captains do, some don't.

Princess's Captain Andy Proctor did after I asked him on a trans-Atlantic some years ago.

Captain Chris Rynd, currently with Cunard, aso would blow the whistle upon request.

On our most recent cruise, Oceania's Nautica, 25 nights Istanbul to Singapore, 11-06, the Captain did not. I asked him if he would, and he stated that not only would he not blow the ship's whistle for the Noon Navigator's Report, he would not ring the ship's bells either. It was his ship, so there was nothing else for me to do or say!

Hi Folks,

We were on the Coral's Trans Canal last May FLL/YVR and in the 19 days at sea, I don't believe Capt Pomato sounded her once.

I do remember in the 70s on P&O (specifically the original Oriana), that they used to announce the local time at noon in conjunction with Greenwich Mean Time as observed in England. This would be followed by the lat & long of the ship, course set from last port of call, distance travelled in the last 24 hrs and the average speed of the ship. The Captain (from the bridge) would also provide the ETA at the next port of call.

Now they just want you to forget what little time you have onboard and enjoy yourself without any reference to time.

Ciao for now!!!

I miss the noon whistle...

Captain Marco Fortezzi was my captain in Feb. on the Dawn...

Before I found out his name, I was calling him Captain Chatty on my live from the dawn thread.

I loved it! He did ALL of the 12 noon reports and chatted away!

It bums me out when people dont hush when the Captain is speaking ....

totally disrespectful to him and your fellow passengers.

When there was no internet or cell phones....this was how you would know what was happening on land and of course at sea...

Archived