Who has planned their own land tour (pre or post cruise)?

TeeBuccs

For those of you with vast experience with planning your own land tour, care to share your plans (either current or previous) with us? I am always curious to learn what areas are most commonly visited, which properties folks prefer to overnight at, and what itineraries make the most sense!

For those of you with vast experience with planning your own land tour, care to share your plans (either current or previous) with us? I am always curious to learn what areas are most commonly visited, which properties folks prefer to overnight at, and what itineraries make the most sense!

Don't know about "vast experience" but here are our June post cruise plans for our party of four:

Day 1 - Arrive in Whittier. Take PJ's Taxi to Seward and stay two nights at Soo's B&B.

Day 2 - Sealife Center AM and Kenai Fjords Tour PM.

Day 3 - Exit Glacier AM or if Juneau dogsled excursion is cancelled on cruise, we will book with Godwin here. AKRR to Anchorage. Overnight at Comfort Inn - Ship Creek.

Day 4 - Pick up rental car and head to Talkeetna. Side trip to Hatcher Pass. Overnight at Talkeetna Chalet B&B.

Day 5 - Mt McKinley summit flight with Talkeetna Aero. Drive to Healy and stay 3 nights at Denali Lakeview Inn.

Day 6 - Check out surrounding area and Denali Visitor Center.

Day 7 - AM shuttle to Fish Creek.

Day 8 - Return to Anchorage. Stay at Comfort Inn - Ship Creek.

Day 9 - Check out Anchorage area. Late PM flight home

We've done a lot lurking here to get ideas for our trip but don't have every block of time pre-planned out. There are plenty of choices for activities and stops along the way and some of it we'll just play by ear.:)

I hope you enjoy your trip!

I started out booking a cruisetour through Princess, but after spending a lot of time on these boards, and reading books and looking at maps, we decided to go independent for our pre-cruise land tour. Here's the itinerary we have come up with, with a lot of input and comments from the veterans on these boards:

We are doing an 8-day pre-cruise independent land tour before boarding the Coral Princess in Whittier on 6/11/07. We are 4 adults traveling together.

We will be doing some backtracking but there were 2 reasons for this: (1) wanting to visit Seward during the week instead of during the more-crowded weekend; and (2) making sure the Denali Park road will be open because of our visit being so early in June.

Day 1 - (Sunday-6/3) fly into Anchorage

Pick up rental van

Visit Alaska Native Heritage Center

Check into hotel (Hawthorn Suites)

Perhaps take city tour on trolley?

Day 2 - drive to Seward

Stop at Moose Pass Visitor Center

Go to Portage Glacier (Bigich-Boggs Visitor Center)

Potter's Marsh

Beluga Point

Exit Glacier

Alaska Sealife Center

Staying at Alaska Saltwater Lodge (2 nights)

Day 3 - Take Kenai Fjords boat tour (all day)

Relax in evening

Day 4 - Seavey's IdidaRide

Drive back up to Girdwood

Perhaps short detour to Coopers Landing for lunch at Gwin's?

Stay at Alyeska Prince Hotel (our relaxation and pampering day!)

Take tram to top of mountain & for dinner

Day 5 - Drive to Talkeetna

Perhaps short detour to Knik to see Iditarod Museum

Eagle River Nature Center, Thunderbird Falls?

Check out Talkeetna - lunch at Roadhouse

Stay at Talkeetna Chalet B&B

7:00 p.m. - Talkeetna Air Taxi Grand Denali Tour w/glacier landing

Day 6 - if flightseeing was canceled yesterday, try and do this in morning

before drive to Denali

Visit Denali Visitor's Center, take hike, go to Park kennels for dog demo

Take 16 mile drive to Savage River for possible wildlife viewing

Drive up to Healy - staying at Denali Lakeview Inn (2 nights)

Day 7 - take 6:30 a.m. shuttle bus to Fish Creek or Wonder Lake (tickets purchased for Wonder Lake)

Return to Inn to sit in hot tub and RELAX!

Day 8 - drive back to Anchorage (with a stop in Talkeetna to try flightseeing again IF other 2 opportunities were canceled)

Drop rental car

Staying at Hawthorn Suites

Day 9 - 8:00 a.m. - Prince William Sound Cruise bus to pick us up at hotel for drive to Whittier - then taking 6 hour Prince William Sound cruise (they will store our luggage) - return to Whittier at 5:00 p.m. and board Coral Princess.

Day 10 - cruise College Fjord

Day 11 - Cruise Glacier Bay

Day 12 - Skagway - going w/Chilkoot Tours on White Pass & Yukon RR/bus tour to Emerald Lake; sightsee Skagway

Day 13 - Juneau - Mt. Roberts Tram (weather permitting); whalewatching with Capt. Larry; Capt. Larry to drop us off at Mendenhall Glacier for Visitor's Center and hike; take bus back to ship

Day 14 - Ketchikan - touring with Classic Tours

Day 15 - at sea

Day 16 - Vancouver at 7:30 a.m. Flight home that afternoon

You can find my itinerary on the thread that NancyIL posted. I based my accommodations in each place mainly on price. We won't be spending that much time in the room anyway, so it really is just a place to sleep. In Anchorage we are using the Extended Stay Deluxe obtained through Hotwire and the Days Inn another time through Anchorage, obtained free through a best rate guarantee. In Seward we are at the HI Express for two nights using 20,000 points I bought for a total of $200. We are camping at Wonder Lake in Denali two nights because it gives the most opportunity to see Mt. McKinley and the most chance to see wildlife as well. At Katmai NP I am also camping, mainly because the cost of the dorm-like cabins are about 60 times (yes you read it right) the cost of the camping.

I must be really weird. First trip to Alaska, the only two things I wanted to see were Prudhoe Bay and lots of brown bears.

Our business stuff is based out of Homer, so I knew we would be going there (again and again and again).

But I just absolutely had to see Prudhoe and travel the Dalton Hwy.

Then we went on the first of two Alaska cruises. I remember absolutely NOTHING about the cruise except the glacier helicopter trip in Juneau and the post office in Ketchikan. Don't even have very many pictures of the cruise portion. I have NO idea why we went on the second cruise-on that one, I don't think we left our cabin except to eat. And exactly 7 pictures, of which 6 are formal nights.

Since that first trip, I have been all over the interior of Alaska. Best memories are still the trips to Prudhoe, ANWR, Hallo Bay, and Barrow the year the polar bears invaded the town in August. Very different experiences than Central and South Central Alaska.

I have gone on many trips to interior Alaska, simple to arrange and plenty to see and do. Key is TIME. Don't underestimate this. It can be an advantage to go less to stay more. :)

As for Homer, the Pratt Museum is excellent and consider a boat trip. Stroll the Spit, drive Skyline Drive.

Hey! We have planned just 3 days after our cruise but here's what we have:

Day 1 - Arrive in Whittier. Pick up Avis rental car. Park at Whittier pier and go on Prince William Sound 6-hour boat tour. Drive to Seward and spend the night at Holiday Inn Seward.

Day 2 - wake up, visit Seward SeaLife Center and then drive up to Anchorage, stopping at various points along the way including Girdwood. Arrive in Anchorage in the evening and stay at the Holiday Inn Anchorage

Day 3 - tour Anchorage including the Sourdough museum thing and special knife shop.

Then go home! :(

We are traveling in May so I understood it was too early to go North to the National Park, so we are just going south to Seward instead :) We are skipping Homer...I hope this isn't a mistake, but we didn't want to rush it.

Quote:

If you had from Friday at ~ 6 p.m. until Sunday at ~ 4 p.m. to spend in Homer, how would you suggest a first-timer spend it? Please note that we won't be seeing bears or going fishing.

First evening, wander the spit and boat harbor, including checking out the salmon fishing at the "fishing hole". Wear windproof jacket!

http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Fishing/kbayfred3.html

Find a place for dinner that serves local oysters (I never liked oysters until I had some fresh in Homer).

Sunday, take a boat ride across the bay. Check out "Alaska Wild Berry Products" original store for some yummy souvenirs.

If you had from Friday at ~ 6 p.m. until Sunday at ~ 4 p.m. to spend in Homer, how would you suggest a first-timer spend it? Please note that we won't be seeing bears or going fishing. Thanks!

You asked- this is what I would do (this is what I always do).

Friday night-go down to the Spit, look around-the shops will be open until about 8:00PM. Find someplace to eat-you will probably be kind of tired, so the fish and chips place on the Spit is very good. They have a lot more than fish and chips-really something for everyone. DO NOT WALK OUT IN THE MUD around the Spit. It is treacherous. People die walking in the mud, even though it looks like the beach. Wander over to the Salty Dawg. You can take the kids until about 9 or 10. Take something from home-hat, t-shirt, company logo shirt and hang it on the wall. Just enjoy wandering around the Spit.

Saturday-Wander down behind Land's End to see the sea otters eating their breakfast. Just park in the parking lot and walk down to the beach. Then go for breakfast at the Happy Face-upstairs from the little grocery store on the left hand side of the road as you head to Land's End. Really decent breakfast-nothing fancy, just good substantial Midwest type breakfast in a Midwest type atmosphere for a decent price.

Then you have lots of choices-Pratt Museum, Homer Island and Ocean Center, the bookstore in Homer is a favorite of mine-fantastic selection of Alaska books. Wander down to the Fishing Hole on the Spit and watch them fish

In the afternoon, I would either take one of the water taxis to Seldovia or Gull Island or take the Danny J through the bay to the Saltry restaurnant. Lots of wildlife and lots of trails to hike in both Halibut Cove (Saltry) or Seldovia. There are galleries in both places.

Pot luck for the evening. I usually sit down by the harbor watching the boats coming in from fishing and then look at the catch. Wander over to Coal Point foods for some fresh seafood snacks.

Sunday, again check out the otters. Then some breakfast.

A drive out East End road to Fritz Creek (first stop) and beyond. The Fritz Creek grocery (very small-north side of the road) is a total throwback to 1968 Haight Ashbury/Venice Beach California-hippie skirts, unshaved legs and all. The food there is great. The soup is to die for and the baked goods are some of the best I have had anyplace. They even have fresh made baklava in Fritz Creek (that really surprised me the first time I was there). Grab some groceries for a picnic. Check out the community bulletin board. Continue driving out East End, just enjoying the scenery. Lots of places to pull over and just enjoy. Have a picnic where it suits you.

You are now up to about 2:00PM Sunday. Revisit whatever you missed or want to see again.

Enjoy!!!

We are booked on HAL Cruisetour #6 beginning May 30, 10 PM. So, our pre-cruise days are few. We fly to Anchorage on May 28 and overnight there at the Hawthorne Suites (booked on Expedia). We will have a rental car for two days. On May 29, we drive to Seward for the Major Marine Kenai Full Day boat trip. We hope to shop before the time for the boat. Then, after the Kenai, we drive back to Anchorage that night. On May 30, we plan to see museums and shop for whatever we forgot to pack. Then, that afternoon, we will check into the so far unknown hotel to join the cruisetour. We expect to receive our cruise docs soon and then all will be clear.

Post-cruise, we will be in Vancouver for one extra day and night. As we have been in the area before, we have already seen much that is there. Our reservations are at the Blue Horizon. I am tempted to take a Grayline city tour as we have not done that in Vancouver. We have always enjoyed city overviews of that type before - London, Paris, Manhattan, DC, so it might be just the thing.

Sorry that I don't have more for you! Have you considered looking at the itineraries of the various cruiselines' cruisetours? You might get some pretty good ideas.

Have a great trip!

Sorry for all the paid and deposits, just cut and pasted ours..

Alaska Itinerary June, 07

· 13th Leave Orlando 6:33pm (Alaska Airlines). Paid .

· 14th-Arrive ANC 12:51 a.m., acquire rental car (Reserved), Sleep at daves, Go to Aleyaska (Paid). Dinner Jap steak house (Reserved).

· 15th- Aleyaska Full day, Flight seeing, Hike,Dinner Seven Glaciers (Reserved).

· 16th- Aleyaska- Drive to Whittier, wildlife preserve on the way, 26 glacier tour 1-5:50p.m, eat at Double Musky in Girdwood and return.

· 17th- Drive to Homer, take in the sites (Kenai ect.)…6-10 hours, Dinner at the Cups. Stay at the Double Eagle (50% Paid).

· 18th- Emerald Air Full day Bear trip Out of Homer (50% Paid), eat at Homestead Restaurant, Double Eagle.

· 19th-Homer, Fishing a.m., Water taxi to Seldovia. Stay at Double Eagle.

· 20th-Drive to Seward am, Sea Life Aquarium, Check In Van Gilder (Paid)Dinner at the crab pot restaurant

· 21st-Seward, Kenai Fjords Tour through saltwater lodge departs 8 a.m-430 p.m. Dinner at Chinooks, stay at Cabin on a cliff (Paid).

· 22nd- Drive to Anc, fly to Juneau, arrive early check into Baranof Hotel (Paid).

· 23rd-Day open for optional time, board Empress of the north p.m. (Paid.)

· 24th-port in Skagway, White pass RR, Explore town.

· 25th-Nature cruising, Glaciers and wildlife

· 26th-SITKA / OLGA STRAIT / PERIL STRAIT / NEVA STRAIT, visit Alaska Raptor center, explore town.

· 27th-Enjoy dinner at the face of Le Conte Glacier and transit Wrangell Narrows. Visit Petersburg.

· 28th-Start your day with breakfast at the entrance of the Stikine River and finish with evening transit up Wrangell Narrows. Visit Wrangell.

· 29th- Wake-up breakfast at Dawes Glacier face. Transit Endicott and Tracy Arm with stops at waterfalls.

· 30th-disembark the Empress , Capt Larrys, Mendenhal, Tram, Alaskan Hotel to get snookered and head back to Orlando depart 1:15 a.m.

· 1st-arrive Orlando 5:18 p.m.

We are traveling in May so I understood it was too early to go North to the National Park, so we are just going south to Seward instead

We've been to AK in September... When is the earliest we can go there and be able to drive up to Denali? -- (keeping in mind that we don't have that white stuff in Phx so we're not used to driving in it)

We've been to AK in September... When is the earliest we can go there and be able to drive up to Denali? -- (keeping in mind that we don't have that white stuff in Phx so we're not used to driving in it)

You can drive on the road from Anchorage to Denali year round. They keep the road pretty clear. But the shuttle bus system into Denali does not start until May 19, and then only to Toklat.

Ah! Appreciate the info. I do want to take the shuttle bus so we'll plan for late May. Thanks!

I suggest you plan your shuttle for Denali Park June 1 or later, then you can get to Fish Creek, 10 miles further. Especially if you already plan to be there late May, perhaps you can adjust your itinerary a few days to allow it.

I'm hoping to go in May: a) because I'm cheap, b) because I want to avoid the kids, and c) because I'm cheap ;)

What's special about Fish Creek?

Sorry, but kids are NOT an issue on Alaska cruises or travel in Alaska in general. No where near the number of those sailing the Caribbean.

Fish Creek shuttle goes to mile 63. In Denali park, farther is always BETTER for scenery and wildlife opportunities. Toklat goes to mile 53. Those 10 miles is bear habitat.

As I said if you are planning end of May, it may be worthwhile to be on the Denali park shuttle bus to Fish Creek June 1. This is my min. recommended distance in. I don't consider any less, if available.

And talk about cheap. :) I spend way less than most going to Alaska. Last interior/cruise trip - $5500 for 19 days. And all the tours and flights I desired. :)

Archived