Dunns River Falls & 10 month old?

sas80

Is this a wise combination?

I've seen pictures of people at the falls and everyone is always holding hands... I am wondering if it is too slippery to put the baby in the front carrier and walk up the falls.

Anyone have any experience with this scenario?

I've seen video of the falls and we decided against taking our kids (ages 3 and 7). It would be a long excursion day anyway so I kind of decided it just wasn't worth it.

But you're right, on the video it showed everyone holding hands. Some of the pools were deep (for a child walking on their own, not the case here if you are carrying the baby)

I have seen many reports on CC about people falling and breaking things cause it IS so slippery.

What about taking the trail to the side of the falls? Would that be a better option for you?

I've seen video of the falls and we decided against taking our kids (ages 3 and 7). It would be a long excursion day anyway so I kind of decided it just wasn't worth it.

But you're right, on the video it showed everyone holding hands. Some of the pools were deep (for a child walking on their own, not the case here if you are carrying the baby)

I have seen many reports on CC about people falling and breaking things cause it IS so slippery.

What about taking the trail to the side of the falls? Would that be a better option for you?

Is there a trail on the side of the falls that we can use?

Is there a trail on the side of the falls that we can use?

Yes, I guess there is a trail that weaves up the side of the falls and from time to time you can come out to an observation deck overlooking the falls. I've seen people here mention that they went that way while their spouses went the other.

But like I said, I have personally never been there. So maybe someone else here, or on the Jamaica Port of Call board can give you more info on the other trail.

I wouldn't recommend taking the baby on the actual falls themselves. I wouldn't feel safe considering you are holding hands with people and it is slippery, peopple do slip, fall and there are both rocks and pools of water to navigate. There is a path alongside the falls with the little observation points as you go up definitely not the same experience but the view is noce. There is also a small beach at the foot of the falls you could enjoy with the baby.

I agree, probably not safe with a baby. Not everyone holds hands in the chains--we didn't, I actually felt safer climbing on my own--but you do need to use your hands to help you along, and sometimes a hand from a guide, if you have one, or your husband. A guide does help as he can tell you where the best places are to climb and hold on. It is slick, some of the rock areas are fairly steep, and we got completely wet, from head to foot. I honestly can't imagine climbing with a baby. Could it be done? Probably. Safely? Probably not. Maybe you could take turns; one climb the falls while the other watches, then vice-versa.

Like others have said, there is a walk, either cement or asphalt, along the side with some steps and slopes and observation points, with a beach at the bottom.

Near the top there is a area where that water pools enough that you can all wade in from one of the observation areas and sit in the falls and get some good pictures without doing the actual climb. My 20 month old loved it.

We did the falls a couple of years ago with my 2yr old (at the time) and my 5yr old(at the time) my older son loved it and did fine but we decided that it was to risky for me and my younger son to do it and I worried before hand that we would get split up and I would not have that great of time not being able to climb the falls BUT when we got their it was great! The trail at side was concrete and I could see the rest of our group the whole way up it worked better being at the side since I was able to take pictures and video tape everyone. Our guide that we had even stopped halfway and got me and my younger son in the water for a picture with my DH and son. So I never felt like I was not getting to participate in the climb. But it is way to slippery and to many people and sharp rocks to even think about having to carry a baby up the falls I don't think it would be a wise idea. Not exactly the place I would want to visit a hospital in. But I do think you will still have a great time. Our guide that took us to the falls was Peat Taylor and It was such a wonderful day he took us thru fern gulley and to a pottery place where they let my son make a peice of pottery we had so much fun and we felt very safe which was a great concern for since I had my babies with me!

I can't wait to go back!!!! Have a wonderful trip and be safe!

APRIL

My Mom has used the trail on the side of the falls. You should be fine with the baby in a carrier.

I wouldn't recommend going up the actual falls with a baby. I've done the falls 3-4 times (once is enough- but you know what happens when you travel with a group :) )

Have fun!

We did the falls a couple of years ago with my 2yr old (at the time) and my 5yr old(at the time) my older son loved it and did fine but we decided that it was to risky for me and my younger son to do it and I worried before hand that we would get split up and I would not have that great of time not being able to climb the falls BUT when we got their it was great! The trail at side was concrete and I could see the rest of our group the whole way up it worked better being at the side since I was able to take pictures and video tape everyone. Our guide that we had even stopped halfway and got me and my younger son in the water for a picture with my DH and son. So I never felt like I was not getting to participate in the climb. But it is way to slippery and to many people and sharp rocks to even think about having to carry a baby up the falls I don't think it would be a wise idea. Not exactly the place I would want to visit a hospital in. But I do think you will still have a great time. Our guide that took us to the falls was Peat Taylor and It was such a wonderful day he took us thru fern gulley and to a pottery place where they let my son make a peice of pottery we had so much fun and we felt very safe which was a great concern for since I had my babies with me!

I can't wait to go back!!!! Have a wonderful trip and be safe!

APRIL

That sounds like fun! We are trying to plan our Spring Break cruise next year, and we've never been to Jamaica. My older son will be 7 and might enjoy that. Thanks for the tips!

D

Based on my experience, I WOULD NEVER in a million years climb Dunns River Falls with a 10 month old. Stick to the trail others are talking about.

I climbed Dunns River Falls with DH, my dad, and 11 year old sister and it was so different than how I pictured it to be. I saw the photos of the falls with people climbing and it looked so fun and relaxing. The reality was that the water was VERY forceful and strong, the sound of rushing water was very noisy at certain points and made communicating with each other kind of hard (communicating about things like, "Watch out, there is a sharp rock that juts out in that pool you're about to step into..."). It was a lot steeper than I thought and the rocks were slippery and some of the pools of water were kind of deep. I thought it would be leisurely and not take a lot of effort... boy was I wrong! :eek:

The overwhelming thought that kept running through my head was, "One of us is going to slip and really get hurt, I hope we make it through, I hope we make it through..." It really was a lot more powerful than what the photos I had seen made it out to be. I don't know if maybe it had been a wetter season than normal and there just was more water flowing than normal, but I will say I was actually fearful going up them. I should also mention though that we didn't do the one where people hold hands; we went on our own because we felt more comfortable being able to use both our hands to grip with.

Bottom line is the Falls are very pretty, but I'd stick to just looking at them. At the very least, don't try it while holding your baby.

Our group had a five year old we took up. I asked lots of questions on CC to see if it was possible. Some encouraged it. Others didn't. Did he make it up the falls? Yes. But most of the time he was hanging onto the guides back taking a piggy back ride.

The one thing everyone failed to mention to me was the temperature of the water. IT IS FREEZING. We were there in Sept. 2006. Young children just can't handle the cold.

Just go and enjoy the day walking up the sidewalk next to them. It is very beautiful. Just don't get in with the baby.

Just my opinion.

Dunns Falls is interesting.

THERE IS NO WAY A BABY SHOULD BE INVOLVED! I was told not to even allow my then 8 year old to do it.

We walked down the path on the side of the Falls. It was nice. The Beach was disappointing- murky with seagrass. Not turquoise blue, clear water.

I would stay on board but that is just me. Jamaicans are sketchy!

I would not recommend doing the actual falls because those rocks are very slippery. Even with water shoes, it was quite dangerous if you slipped on the rocks.

I agree, I did it last year and did not take my six year old and was glad. It was very slippery, steep, and you can only get off in certain spots. Alot of people fell and got hurt. My 15 year old son who is very athletic/agile also slipped. Glad I did it, wouldn't do it again and never do the actual climb with a young child

When we went to DRF, I looked at the people already climbing and decided to go up the path parallel to the falls. I couldn't imagine trying to do it with a baby on my back. If you slip (or if the person you're holding onto slips, and there's a domino effect), the baby will get wet.

• 2 weeks later...

No way..tkae it from somebody who carried a 2 year old up the waterfall. I got stuck with a friend's nephew at a wedding. The only suggestion would be for one of you to walk along the side of the fall, but that won't be much fun for the other person in the party.

Also watch for the local vendors selling merchandise near the parking lot. On the last cruise, they nearly grabbed a woman to sell her some items. They were very aggressive even towards me and I am no little guy at 6'4 290lbs.

I have done the falls and WOULD NOT take my child there! No way, no how. The falls are very slippery. Jamacia is a beautiful destination, however, I would not take my kids there (to the falls). I would be very careful- I had lots of strange stuff happen on my trip there. The Jamacian people that I ran into were very friendly for the most part- there were some shady characters. It would stress me out too much to think of taking the kids to the falls.

We just did the falls in April with our ds 14 and dd 11. I would not do the falls with a baby. Period. I wouldn't think of taking a child much less than 7 or 8 for several reasons including fast moving water, cool (some will say cold) water, deep pools and large stepup requirements, hidden rocks, slippery rocks under water, etc.

The guides do their best to help but depending on how crowded it is and how much water flow there is in the river, it can be a real challenge for adults and younger children.

As others have suggested, there is a paved and boardwalked path and stairway up the east side of the falls. There are some entry/exit points where you could wade into the shallower areas (nearer the top of the falls) for pictures and for the baby to enjoy the water but that's all I would suggest with a 10 month old.

The falls are a very unique and fun excursion. Have fun but be safe. :)

This was a very fun trip for us, with kids ages 8 and 11 a couple of years ago. I would definitely not recommend going with a baby you are carrying. At one point my husband slipped on a rock and fell into a waist-deep pool, "spraining" (I still think he broke it but he wouldn't go to the doctor) his finger as he went down because he was holding both our sons' hands and couldn't pull free fast enough to catch himself. Hate to think how scary that would be with a baby on your front.

Archived