Dress Code Enforcement on QM2

brian1977

Malcolm, you poor sheltered soul...obviously you haven't read the Carnival board...or some of the others as well. And we think our little spats get heated sometimes....;)

I can't imagine what it would be like on a cruise where the majority thought jeans and a T shirt were fine on a formal night:eek: What on earth would they wear for casual?

I can't imagine what it would be like on a cruise where the majority thought jeans and a T shirt were fine on a formal night:eek: What on earth would they wear for casual?

Malcom,

You don't want to go there!:rolleyes:

Karie,

"Is it okay if I wear my dressy pajamas tonight?

You don't want to go there!:rolleyes:

I do:D If formal equates to jeans and a T shirt and as you go down the grades of dress you wear less then by casual you must be down to a thong! (and I don't mean a kind of shoe:rolleyes: )

I do:D If formal equates to jeans and a T shirt and as you go down the grades of dress you wear less then by casual you must be down to a thong! (and I don't mean a kind of shoe:rolleyes: )

I asked that very question on another thread. Basically I asked if jeans and the such are fine for the formal dining room on a fancy ship what do you wear while gardeing or working around the house. I did get a couple of answers before my post was taken down as being too offensive to the general cruising public

Matthew, you have gone and done it. Probably have put an entire third of the US into a permanent state of shock. Shame on you for wandering over "There" I asked one poster who said they wore a silk "t" , silk pants and a jacket plus loafers without socks for formal evenings on board what their husband wore and got yelled at for being so very rude. Seems we need to learn how to just let everyone be as borish as they wish and then the world will be at peace. The poster tried to bring in world hunger and such and how my post seemed to be contributing to it.

Matthew, you have gone and done it. Probably have put an entire third of the US into a permanent state of shock. Shame on you for wandering over "There" I asked one poster who said they wore a silk "t" , silk pants and a jacket plus loafers without socks for formal evenings on board what their husband wore and got yelled at for being so very rude. Seems we need to learn how to just let everyone be as borish as they wish and then the world will be at peace. The poster tried to bring in world hunger and such and how my post seemed to be contributing to it.

I thought that post of yours was very funny! Wish I'd though of it in fact.....

Matthew

It wouls appear that your posting to the "Formal" thread quelched that discussion. I think they believed it was GOD posting and they did not know how to respond. Not quite so with the no-formal thread as that is where they really live and feel comfortable with the anything goes on informal /casual nights

They do appear to be nasty on the Carnival board. I wonder if we appear the same to newcomers? I know that I certainly don't intent to (unless you're a travel agent:D ); I'm sure that most of the posters here don't intend it either.

Should Malcolm and I go and educate them?

Matthew

I can see that you have done just that! ROFL!

I'm cheering for you both! Oh, and songanddance, as well. Enjoy the replies you will get--I know you've got what it takes for a proper response.;)

Apparently some cut-off jeans and a t-shirt with a slogan on it. They save the plain-fronted ones for formal night!

Now that could be some of the best reading on these boards....go for it Matthew!!! ;) By the time you two have posted...aided by the occasional bit of support from Anglea and me and others I'm sure , that could become one of the most inflammatory threads on here!

You have to read some of the stuff that they say on that board...Angela is right...tee shirt, the "J" word, and flip flops for dinner in the dining room...all sorts of great fashion wisdom over there!! :eek:

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Penny! They are there in the lair of the unwashed and be-jeaned masses as I type. It's the best thing I've seen in ages.

They do appear to be nasty on the Carnival board. .

it seemed pretty tame to me - unless a moderator has been and cleaned it up - things get much more lively on the Princess board:D

See you are getting a bit of stick now on that 2nd thread for suggesting they weren't gentlemen! It could go really nasty soon:D

Here on Cunard (and P+O I should add) its much more civilised (unless our moderators work 24/7) - Its very rare to see even put downs let alone anything seriously nasty. :)

Have to say, I think twice before posting on some boards - I occasionally think I should have a second identity just to post there, but just can't be bothered - I have started to report posts I feel are abusive, especially if they are to newbies - most get left, but sounds like one persons post was not only removed, but they were banned from the boards - didn't think it was that bad (guess there were other things going on)

Karen

I asked one poster who said they wore a silk "t" , silk pants and a jacket plus loafers without socks for formal evenings on board what their husband wore and got yelled at for being so very rude.

Actually, you were corrected because he WAS the husband... and by the way, some of you who claim to "dress nice" may wish to employ proper grammar to match your attire. ;)

Actually, you were corrected because he WAS the husband... and by the way, some of you who claim to "dress nice" may wish to employ proper grammar to match your attire. ;)

I did read that correction. I was rather shocked that in the correction the husband stated that his wife frequently wore an open blouse to dinner. I am sure that garnered quite a bit of attention from the rest of the people in the dining room.

I did read that correction. I was rather shocked that in the correction the husband stated that his wife frequently wore an open blouse to dinner. I am sure that garnered quite a bit of attention from the rest of the people in the dining room.

Or perhaps, as some say, in the dinning room, although I've no idea what the difference is. Perhaps the dinning room is noisier? ;)

PS: I could find nothing wrong with your grammar. Does that mean mine is lacking, as well?

We live in Honolulu right across from the Academy of Art on Beretania Street. Lovely, tall condo with views from our corner apartment from Punchbowl to Waikiki to the ocean by Ala Moana and then to downtown.

As a child, my family moved to Oahu from SoCal, Dad being a naval officer.

Our first home was in an Ala Wai Canal high-rise, then officers' housing in Pearl City, and finally Kaneohe.

Unfortunately, after a few years, we were back in San Diego, which is not so bad either.

Anyhoo...sort of on-topic, on QE2 in the Caribbean one night, after a great day of sailing, snorkeling, and rum punch :rolleyes: , I chose to have dinner in my cabin, and told my table mates I'd join them for desert.

It was warm in the dining room, and still feeling the effects of my day ashore :o , I took off my jacket.

It was a casual night, and I was wearing a nice short-sleave shirt.

A gentleman who saw I was wearing a short-sleave shirt loudly berated me for showing such disrespect and poor manners, how dare I enter a dining room on the QE2 in short sleeves. :eek:

Well, I did wear a jacket to the dining room, but on a warm night in the Caribbean on a casual night, arriving late to a nearly empty dining room by prior arrangement, I felt I broke no rules and just ignored the chastising by a fellow passenger.

Kyle,

You sure found a very old post of mine. Nice to read about someone else who used to live in Paradise. Oh, and you were certainly appropriately dressed on that casual Caribbean night. Some people seem to go a bit overboard and are too rigid about dress when it's supposed to be a relaxed evening.

Aloha,

Patti

Kyle,

You sure found a very old post of mine. Nice to read about someone else who used to live in Paradise. Oh, and you were certainly appropriately dressed on that casual Caribbean night. Some people seem to go a bit overboard and are too rigid about dress when it's supposed to be a relaxed evening.

Aloha,

Patti

Truly! Some people do not know proper decorum. What Kyle did was to dress APPROPRIATELY for the cruise and the evening dress code he was on. the berater (who was no gentleman. A gentleman, first and foremost DOES NOT embarrass someone in public over ANYTHING, much less dress, which was the prescribed dress for the evening. And perhaps QE2 in the Caribbean was not right for this man. He should stay in the cold and angry north sea. His behaviour was MOST inappropriate and MOST ungentlemanly!

Kyle- Marc was born in Honolulu, I believe. And moved immediately to Maine. You think San Diego is a culture shock? <G>

Patti, You posted that last week! Time flies when you're having fun! <G>

Karie,

who knows she has spent too much time on these boards lately, but doesn't think ages have past! (I think!)

So it seems that the folks on Cunard have the same attire issues as other lines....

I guess that is what happens when they are bought out by a substandard cruiseline like "Carnival". You know the one...the one with all the money...the one that is solvent. The first thing they did is build an eye sore of a ship and then told the Maitra'D to let anyone in the diningroom. No matter what they wear.......

Maybe it is time to go to Crystal...it only costs a little more money...;)

So it seems that the folks on Cunard have the same attire issues as other lines....

Not quite. I don't think I've ever seen anyone ask if it was appropriate not to wear a Jacket on Formal night (the usual question is 'is it ok not to wear a tux?') - and then be told 'yes'!

Peter

Archived