When to cruise Panama Canal

azalice

We cannot cruise February thru April due to DH's work. When do you recommend we cruise Panama Canal in terms of weather. I assume May thru Sept. might be hot so does that leave only October (still hurricane season?), Nov. and Dec?

I assume May thru Sept. might be hot so does that leave only October (still hurricane season?), Nov. and Dec?
No HAL ships cruise the Canal from mid-May to mid-Sep anyway. Could you do a re-positioning cruise westbound in late April? (I'm assuming your husband's work slacks off dramatically after Apr 15. :) ) We're looking at doing either the Westerdam or Amsterdam leaving Ft Lauderdale 4/22/08 or 4/27/08 respectively.

We have done full repositioning cruises in Oct, Nov, April and Dec and it was always Hot and Humid. Partial canal cruises you aren't in there long enough to really feel the heat and humidity for any length of time.

have you done a partial? would you recomend that at all? I saw some really good fares on HAL earlier this year for Volendam I think, but it was a partial.

Since you apparently live in Arizona, suggest you might consider an eastbound repositioning from LA or San Diego to FLorida. They are usually in October when the ships that have summered in Alaska are repositioned to Florida and the Caribbean for the winter. You would then fly home from Florida Check the actual schedules for repositioning,:)

I had not specifically thought about a repositioning cruise to the Panama Canal. That might be a good idea. Late April would work for us and I suppose October repositioning again might also work. Thanks for mentioning the possibilities.

Are the cruises indicated as repositioning cruises or do you just find the last date and assume it a repositioning cruise?

On the web site just click Destinations and Panama Canal and you will see full transits, starting on the west coast and ending on the east, or vice versa depending on the time of year. We did a partial this year and it was wonderful, want to do the full, but meeting some resistance from DH who is not into flying! We did not find it too hot, but we live in the Caribbean and are used to heat and humidity. It is the humidity that gets you, everything fogged up!

Enjoy!:)

B.

DD, Wheelchair DS, and myself are doing the Holiday Partial to the Canal in December. We are looking forward to it. Personally all three of us like it (of course DD and I like the sauna at 180)hot. DS is less tolerant so we plan on making sure before putting our clothes up for summer, to set out everyone's clothes to pack for the trip.

I am assuming as down here in the South, the mosquitoes are BIG..what kind of repellant do you take?

LHC

Archived