Question about men's socks

lydiagb

My understanding and rule of thumb for my man has always been, shoes and belt must match and then the socks match the pants. This way, say the shoes are, for example, a lighter brown than the pants...you'd rather have the pant color continued down with the sock lines. That's how I see it. I'm sure there are other opinions out there. It's also a cardinal rule with for myself when wearing my colored casual outfits, my sockies always match my pants, not the shoes.

Thanks for the replys so far. Absolutely no white socks with anything but shorts and jeans. I couldn't even believe my husband seriously asked me why he couldn't wear his white socks with slacks and dress shoes. That was shortly after we were married almost 4 years ago. Luckily he takes to fashion advice fairly well. In the past he's worn black socks with the black shoes and dark brown socks with the dark brown shoes. So they've been darker (or the same in the case of the black) than the slacks. He has tan slacks and a pair that are kind of an olive/khacki color. He will be wearing the brown shoes with those. We definitely need to buy him some more socks as it is a 12 day cruise. Thanks again and more opinons are welcome:) .

Lydia

Socks match the slacks, so there's the monochromatic look until you get to the shoes. Black slacks, black socks with or without a pattern.

Now, I love the look of khakis with a patterned khaki sock to kick it up a notch and a crisp, white dress shirt with the sleeves just slightly rolled up once with an oxblood colored slip-on shoe and belt (black shoes and belt work also).

chicaletta - can't imagine the white tube socks with the tux! Absolutely hysterical! :D :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

If I may put in my 2 cents worth.....

First, never ever have the socks match the shirt. Very late 80's/early 90's.

When it comes to the socks matching the pants, however, I believe there are two pant colors that you don't need to follow this with.

1) Khaki pants - as they tend to be more casual, I believe it's okay to wear a cream-colored sock.

2) Dark gray pants - if worn with blackshoes, I believe it's okay to wear black socks with them. There's not much of a color difference between charcoal and black anyway, so I don't think they would draw much attention.

With all that being said, I have to confess - I'm wearing black socks with dark gray slacks unless someone can talk me out of it before I sail on Sept 26th!

Dave

I usually have my husband wear black with everything, because I don't know any better. The one thing that drives me wild is short black socks with dress pants. Nothing worse than seeing bare leg sticking out when a man sits down and crosses his legs! Men---wear knee high dress socks!

Anne

I did a count of what we'll need in each color; 6 black, 5 tan and 1 olive. We are going shopping this Saturday at the Nordstrom Rack and hopefully we will find what we need there. Dan has some black socks and some dark brown but they only reach mid-calf. So we'll see what we find and hopefully we'll find it on Saturday. There is a Burlington Coat Factory near The Rack so we can go there if The Rack doesn't have what we need. 24 more days to till we leave!

Lydia

Archived