Good News Passports

My hubby, son and I applied for our passports at our PO on Friday 4/6/07.

Did not expedite our applications as we are not scheduled to cruise until August.

Check cleared the bank on Wednesday 4/11 and the website states that the application has been received and is being processed.

Don't know if that means things are moving along or not but it seemed according to the boards checks were not being cashed for up to a month after they were sent.

Cathy

Yes. My girlfriend is still waiting for her passport and this coming Tuesday will be 10 weeks. Her checks cleared about 4 weeks after the application was submitted so we were hopeful that it meant the original 6 week quote would be accurate. We sail in 3 1/2 weeks so we're very hopeful that the 10 weeks quote is now accurate.

I applied on Mar. 8 from our county courthouse. The $30 county check cleared right away, the $67 Dept. of State checked just cleared on Mon. That was also the same day it showed up on the website. Then the next day it disappeared from the website. So I e-mailed them on Wed. and just heard from them today and they said it was being processed! I'll be happy when I have that passport in my hands!!!!!

My daughter applied Jan. 30th, they cashed her checks one week later, and still no passports. She used to be on the website as "being processed", now nothing. We don't sail until July 1st, so are not sweating it. But checks being cashed, and being processed on the website, don't really mean much I guess.

I sent my renewal in on 2/12. My check was cashed on 3/6 and I do not expect to receive my passport until approximately 4/22. It is taking 10 - 12 weeks. Mine is a renewal and I am not traveling until the end of May (not a cruise), so I am not concerned. It is hard to wait, and I feel bad for those who have travel plans soon, so if you are traveling prior to the 10-12 week timeframe, call them.

Slightly OT, but I wanted to share a passport story with my CC'ers. :)

I renewed my passport at the end of last year and received it in December. It didn't take long at all! :) However, my name was mispelled and I had to send it back with NEW photos (they said my computer image had expired and to send in new photos). :( SO... I resent all my things with a letter asking for reimbursement for the 2nd set of photos. I received my passport in just a few DAYS :D, but no money :(. Oh well, I thought, I was happy that I was CRUISIN' in February. End of story? NOPE! I received a check in the mail TODAY with a letter signed from the director! (Not a photocopy signature either! Of course, maybe his secretary signed it??? But it's a real signature nonetheless.) It ONLY took 4 1/2 months to get the check! Anyway, I'm glad to hear it's only taking 10 weeks to get passports now.

The State Department website still says 10 weeks for routine service. For expedited service it says:

"If you submitted your application before March 23, 2007: It was taking 3-4 weeks and possibly longer if it was a renewal by mail without “Expedite” marked on the mailing envelope.

"If you submitted your application after March 23, 2007: Currently, it takes 2 weeks from the application date to receive the passport. It may take longer for customers who apply for a renewal by mail without “Expedite” marked on the mailing envelope."

Archived