Cruising North from Sydney

shifty

We are booked on an Oceania cruise from Sydney to Bangkok. Along the way, there are various Australian ports, such as Brisbane, Whitsunday Island, Townsville, and Darwin.

In your experience, what are the "must sees" or "must do's" in these ports.

Thanks.

Mike S

We have never cruised in Australia, but we have been there several times on land vacations. There are so many things to see and do, one day in a port is not enough. You should definitely see the Great Barrier Reef if you snorkel and if they offer an excursion. Maybe from the Whitsundays or Townsville. The Daintree rainforest is a must-see, too. The most wonderful thing to see in the north is Kakadu, the national park in the outback; however, I think it's too far away from Darwin. Any excursion to the outback or dealing with Aboriginal culture would be on my personal list. We did a sunset harbor sail there, Darwin has the most beautiful fiery red-orange sunsets!

If you have a long day in Darwin, then I would try and see either some of the Kakadu National Park or the Litchfield National Park. Both are beautiful and will show you an insight into the country south of Darwin.

If a trip to the Great Barrier Reef is offered from Townsville then that would be my first choice.

You don't mention Cairns so perhaps you will not be visiting that city. Otherwise you would be able to visit the Reef from there or go to Daintree for the day. Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy our country.

Jennie

We are booked on an Oceania cruise from Sydney to Bangkok. Along the way, there are various Australian ports, such as Brisbane, Whitsunday Island, Townsville, and Darwin.

In your experience, what are the "must sees" or "must do's" in these ports.

Thanks.

Mike S

Shifty,

Have you taken your trip yet? Our dream trip is to this same trip one day. I have a great book I bought about Australia if your interested, let me know I will send you the name. Please email me at balphin@bellsouth.net, I have some medical problems and do not always get on the boards daily or weekly.

I would love to hear about your trip. I am gonna start working on ours in a few weeks.

Thanks

Shifty and spindthrift - I live in Brisbane - there is so much to do - what are your interests and I will try and help with some specific suggestions - quite a few places would require an excursion - things like Australia Zoo (Steve Irwin's zoo) is a wonderful place if you would like to see kangaroos and koalas up close, there is the glass house mountains - scenic with lots of little art/craft places, Barrington Tops (in the Lamington National Park) again scenic if you would like to see some bush and perhaps even a very short bushwalk - there is the Gold and Sunshine Coasts (Gold is an hour and a half south of Brisbane Sunshine a few hours north) if you would like some wonderful beaches - then there is the touristy things in the heart of Brisbane itself, or some type of cruise on Moreton Bay ........

Jane

We did a Princess Cruise Tour in Australia & NZ in January 2006. While the cruise went from Sydney south to Melbourne & Hobart then to NZ, the land tour incuded Cairns, Uluru & Alice Springs.

Our next Oceania cruise departs February 8 2008 and visits the Australian ports previously mentioned (including Cairns) before heading to Komodo (Indonesia); Semarang, Java; Singapore; KoSamui, Thailand; Bangkok. It sounds like a fantastic itinerary & we're also curious about "must see's"/"must do's" in these Asian ports/cities.

Mike S

Mike,

For brisbane, if you have 5 or more hours to spare, take the CityCat (http://www.ourbrisbane.com/transport/ferries/) from the Hamilton wharf(just up from Portside, which is probably where your ship will berth). Buy the suggested zone 2 daily ticket. Get off at Riverside and take a walk through Brisbane city as well as the Botanic Gardens. Get back on the CityCat and get off at Southbank. Take a walk through Southbank (lots of good restaurants and a fantastic swimming lagoon). If you're so inclined, vist the Cultural Centre and Museum. Get back on the CityCat and continue up-river to St Lucia, then stay on board for the return trip to Hamilton. That should take up at least 5 hours and give you a good taste of our city.

Hamilton Island. As one poster has suggested, Whitehaven is a "must see". The sand is pure white silica sand (wear sunglasses because of the glare). If you get a chance, go on a boat tour to the Great Barrier Reef. There are a few operators who have permanent platforms moored on the edge of the reef and you can snorkel, scuba or submarine over the reef.

Townsville. A walk through the city and along the Strand is worthwhile. Also a visit to Magnetic Island. A trip to the GBR can be done, if time permits.

Cairns. A drive up to Port Douglas is worth it just for the scenery (rainforst on the left; tropical sea on the right). Then a trip to Atherton via the Skyrail and return on the train.

Darwin (I used to live there). If you get time, a visit to Kakadu is magical. Other than that a walk through the city to soak up the atmosphere.

You will have a great time, but one word of warning. February is our hotest month and is in the middle of the wet season. It will be very hot and humid at all locations (more so the further north you head) with rain at times. Cyclones are also around at that time of the year, so you may get some rough seas at times.

Enjoy.

David

Well, it just sounds like there is far too much to see on just this one trip--guess I will have to have a heart to heart talk with DH and start planning another trip to follow this one. :-))) Thanks for all the advice--keep it a comin'.

• 2 weeks later...
We have never cruised in Australia, but we have been there several times on land vacations. There are so many things to see and do, one day in a port is not enough. You should definitely see the Great Barrier Reef if you snorkel and if they offer an excursion. Maybe from the Whitsundays or Townsville. The Daintree rainforest is a must-see, too. The most wonderful thing to see in the north is Kakadu, the national park in the outback; however, I think it's too far away from Darwin. Any excursion to the outback or dealing with Aboriginal culture would be on my personal list. We did a sunset harbor sail there, Darwin has the most beautiful fiery red-orange sunsets!

Thanks for the tips. We are scheduled to go in Feb. '08 on the Sapphire Princess. Did you have an tour guide or were you on your own?

PinkSuit

Archived