Captain's Club Departures eMagazine

wv4891

Hi,

I just received the latest Captain's Club magazine, via email. Has anyone else received their's yet? It has personalized discount coupons for selected 2005 cruises, in addition to various articles. My 04/11/2005 Caribbean Cruise is not one of them. :(

Got my departures magazine yesterday. The sailing I'm booked on is featured. Celebrity told me that they will not honour the coupon since I have a booking that was made prior to their "booking window" time.

So, I am being penalized for booking early. Is this how they demonstrate their loyalty to Captain's Club members? Seems so.

When I spoke to Celebrity, it was clear that the agent and the supervisor were exasperated with this policy. They were polite and helpful but indicated that finance department makes decisions on what sailings are discounted.

When I asked about cancelling and rebooking, there were, of course, no equivalent category rooms available.

Seems that this is a "true departure." We are re-thinking our booking.

Received the emagazine this morning but I much prefer the "real" thing.

To everyone who is going to ask about coupons, once again it gives specific dates during which the cruise must be booked:

"We invite you to enjoy up to $150* in savings when you book one of our unforgettable cruises below between August 1 and October 31, 2004. As one of a select group of recipients, please note that only you may enjoy this certificate."

To take advantage of this special offer, you must book your cruise between August 1 and October 31, 2004.

Save $150* per stateroom on these select sailings:

Option Code: JAAL $150 USD/$210 CAN

11-, 14-night Caribbean

Summit 12/27/04; 2/7; 3/21/05

Zenith 2/13; 3/13, 3/27/05

11-night Mexican Riviera

Mercury 12/27/04; 2/28; 3/30/05

11-, 12-, 14-night Panama Canal

Galaxy™ 2/26; 3/10; 4/14/05

Infinity 12/20/04

Save $100* per stateroom on these select sailings:

Option Code: JAAK $100 USD/$150 CAN

7-, 9-night Eastern Caribbean

Century™ 12/24/04; 1/22; 2/19; 3/19; 4/16, 4/30/05

Millennium 12/19/04; 2/6, 2/20; 3/6, 3/13, 3/20,

3/27; 4/10/05

7-, 9-night Southern Caribbean

Constellation 12/24/04; 2/19, 2/26; 3/12, 3/19, 3/26/05

7-night Western Caribbean

Century 3/12, 3/26/05

10-night Caribbean

Horizon™ 3/25/05

Summit 12/17/04; 4/1/05

7-, 10-night Mexican Riviera

Mercury 12/17/04; 2/18; 3/20; 4/10, 4/17, 4/24/05

Well, I have heard this story before. If you are using a travel agent, send him/her the coupon and see what they can do for you. I have used the discount coupons several times, after already having booked a cruise, and they have been accepted by Celebrity. I hope this was just the usual Customer Service Department screwup when you called.

Got my departures magazine yesterday. The sailing I'm booked on is featured. Celebrity told me that they will not honour the coupon since I have a booking that was made prior to their "booking window" time.

So, I am being penalized for booking early. Is this how they demonstrate their loyalty to Captain's Club members? Seems so.

When I spoke to Celebrity, it was clear that the agent and the supervisor were exasperated with this policy. They were polite and helpful but indicated that finance department makes decisions on what sailings are discounted.

When I asked about cancelling and rebooking, there were, of course, no equivalent category rooms available.

Seems that this is a "true departure." We are re-thinking our booking.

Maybe Celebrity has decided to tighten up their policy regarding their coupons. I imagine they use the coupons as a marketing ploy to get people to sign up for cruises that aren't selling as well. (Alas, my trip to Bermuda next year isn't included either). This new policy may backfire on them, as many people do book early as to get the room they want, then wait for the coupons. How many people book on board to get the shipboard credit then wait for the coupon to also get a cut off the price? I know I have. This may certainly make people think a second time about getting the shipboard credit when they may get a better deal with the coupons. Too bad Celebrity has spoiled us for so long. It is difficult for a company to set precedence (sp?) then do a turn about.

Anyway, Happy Sailing All!

Yes, I have done the same, book first onboard to take advantage of onboard credit, then hopefully a coupon would be applicable to our sailing. However, it seems that X is getting really tight on the coupons, now they specify a time frame for the booking (in this case, its bookings made between Aug 1st and Oct 31st). In the "old" days, it was simply, booked by such and such date. Oh well. Have people notice that the coupon is getting worst every quarter. Boy, wish we've booked two to three years worth of cruises last June (when the coupons were awesome).

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but on the 2 cruises we have booked for 2005 the prices went up after the first week they were available for booking. Both our Alaska and Hawaii cruises had fare increases of $100, so if you book as soon as the itinerary opens you get approximately the equivalent of the CC coupon value, if there is one for those cruises.

I didn't get an email either. 4_9_8.gif

I e mailed the Captain's club and asked for the e magazine. First, I got a reply from them (probably automatic) saying they would consider my request. In 45 minutes, the e-magazine was in my mail box.

Re the coupons: they were there, and they do state specific dates for rendering, just like the coupons for any other product, ie food, rebates, etc.

Grace

Our TA called Celebrity and she, too, was told, no way. The booking must be made in the Celebrity window for booking.

Our cruise had gone up in price, but since it is impossible for me to figure out how the cruiselines charge fares anyway, I don't know what the best deal would have been.

Our TA called Celebrity and she, too, was told, no way. The booking must be made in the Celebrity window for booking.

Our cruise had gone up in price, but since it is impossible for me to figure out how the cruiselines charge fares anyway, I don't know what the best deal would have been.

We have always been allowed to apply any coupon towards a previously booked cruise. In past instances, we simply mailed the coupon to Celebrity, and it was always honored.

I don't believe in the 'no way' answer..... mail the coupon (or the coupon code) to Celebrity directly. Nothing to lose.

• 1 month later...

We gave the coupon to our TA who got no where with X for our '05 cruise on the Millie. I called the Captains Club line and got no where since X is sticking to the booking date window. All my logic for getting the $100 off fell on deft ears. I even suggested they just give us $100 shipboard credit but just got a firm NO.

What really steams us is that when we booked this cruise while on the Summit last year we were told that "any" published discounts would be applied to our booking.

I think X is pushing the envelope since bookings are so good. This may be ok in the short term but long term I think they are making a very basic marketing error. It is much easier to keep an existing customer than get one back that leaves with a sour taste in their mouth.

Celebrity - Reduce the influence from the guys with green eye shades and think about your customers.

We were on the February 1st Infinity cruise Valparaiso to Buenos Aires and tried to use our $25.00 coupon for the Speciality restaurant and they refused to accept our coupon. The coupon said that it was good for cruises booked before January 1, 2004. Well, about ten of us in the group booked BEFORE January 1, 2004. Their reason for refusal was that they meant SAILING before January 1, 2004. One of our group kept calling Customer Service and the Captain's Club until they relented. It was only $25.00, BUT it was the principle of the whole issue. We dined in the Speciality restaurant and were billed $50.00 for the two of us. We asked the Customer Service on the ship and were told we would be given a credit for it. We left the ship the day we docked in Buenos Aires because we had to fly home early. I went by the C.S. desk and asked about the $25.00 and was told it would be credited tha night. I told them that we were leaving the ship within an hour and I wanted it done right then. The look I got was really not what you expect from Customer Service. This was our second Celebrity cruise and it was just a little thing, but I can imagine what you all feel about the $100 and $150 coupons. I'm not in a hurry to rebook another cruise with them. I certainly hope they read these boards.

Archived