Mendenhall Glacier

usnavywife

Does anyone know what the May hours are?

I saw what the winter hours are but not summer.

Also can you get to the lookout without having to go to the visitors center if they are closed?

TIA

From May to September the hours are 8 am to 7:30 pm, every day of the week. Here is a link to the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center for more information.

Thank you very much.

I am wondering if we would have enough time to see it.

Thanks again

This can be a brief stop. The tour buses are rarely here over 45 minutes. The Photo Point trail, is a 5 min. walk from the drop off.

The visitor center has a fantastic view of Mendenhall and a great model of the Mendenhall ice field. Certainly worthwhile if of interest and with time. Also an informative movie. There is a $3pp charge for the Visitor Center.

If you wanted to spend more time here and hike, what trails are recommended?

The Trail of Time is very worthwhile and easy. Be sure to print the guide sheet since there are number posts along the way.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/trailoftime.html

The East Loop is great if you have a few hours- at least. It branches off from The Trail of Time. I recommend the first fork, since this is the switch back up. Then you have the stairs down. If really into hiking, add on the Nugget Creek trail. I've always pooped out and haven't taken it. :( You do not get any view of Mendenhall from the Trail of Time and little view from the East Loop, these are mostly all wooded.

Also, unofficial, walk along the edge of the lake toward the glacier, this can be your closest look. Wear shoes you don't care about since mud is about a given.

I have another question about Mendenhall Glacier that maybe Budget Queen or one of the Juneau residents can help with. Thanks to the link that was posted a while back, I've been monitoring the webcam fairly frequently. With the record setting snowfall that Juneau has received, is the snow likely to be gone by the middle of May -- at least on the paths leading to the vew points?

I'm wondering what we're likely to need in the way of footwear.

Thanks!

I have another question about Mendenhall Glacier that maybe Budget Queen or one of the Juneau residents can help with. Thanks to the link that was posted a while back, I've been monitoring the webcam fairly frequently. With the record setting snowfall that Juneau has received, is the snow likely to be gone by the middle of May -- at least on the paths leading to the vew points?

I'm wondering what we're likely to need in the way of footwear.

Thanks!

You mean Photo Point trail??? I've been in Juneau in this timeframe and no snow. I was the first cruise ship last year, begining of May and no snow. There was still plenty of snow on Mt. Roberts however.

Archived