Barcelona Hotels

Need to book a hotel in Barcelona for pre and post cruise. Would like to hear from other CC members which hotel they stayed at and if they liked it. Give the pro's and con's. We're looking for a nice quiet clean hotel, good A/C since it will during summer and in a good area. We do not want to be right on Las Ramblas but not to far away either.

What do you think about these:

Hotel AC Diplomatic

Hotel Barcelona Catedral

AC Miramar

Hotel Pulitzer

Hotel Ayre Caspe (also known as Hotel Fiesta Caspe)

Hotel Duquesa de Cardona

987 Varcelona Hotel

Hotel Fira Palace (know it's out of the way some but looks really nice)

So far those are all I narrowed it down to. Need help deciding.

I was considering that hotel because of the reviews but I don't think it's what we really want....would prefer something not as "pink" and a hotel a little more modern. Like the color pink but from what I can tell from candid pictures and hotel photos it looks way too pink.

For one night wouldn't care as much but we'll be there for several days prior to our cruise. The 24 hr buffet sounds great though.

Has anyone stayed at any of the hotels I mentioned? Would love to hear which other hotels are popular with my fellow CC members.

We stayed at the Hotel Diplomatic for three nights pre-cruise in November 2004. We booked directly on their website for a better room and price. We had a superior room with a king bed. It was modern and clean. They have mini refrigerators in their rooms filled with beer, sodas & water which is complimentary. They re-stocked it daily. It is located a few blocks north of the Placa Catalunya and about a block from the Passieg de Gracia. Several of the Gaudi buildings are located nearby and the Hop on/Hop off bus is available on the Passieg de Gracia. It is a quieter neighborhood than Las Ramblas but about a ten to fifteen minute walk to all of the activity. We would recommend it.

Thanks so much for your post. Sounds good as we want to take the hop on/off bus so that would be convenient. Appreciate you sharing your experience. Glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel.

We stayed at the Hotel Jazz.About a 5 min walk from Las Ramblas.Very clean and quiet hotel.Also has a rooftop pool for a dip after a long day of touring.We were there at the end of July 2006 and the a/c worked very well. Would not hesitate to stay there again. Also fairly reasonably priced.

The decor is modern though many people may call modern cold. The only taxi we took was from the airport and then later to the port. The remainder of the time we either walked or took the hop on/hop off. We are 40ish & 50ish and did not have any issues with the location. We took in quite a bit of the city since we stayed 3 nights.

Hello, we stayed at the Hotel duquesa de Cardona last September. It has a lovely location overlooking the Harbour. And is within easy walking distance to Las Ramblas.

The rooms were lovely and large. The bathroom was also very large compared to other European hotels. A/C worked great. I would for sure stay here again!

Debordo

Thank you all for posting as those hotels were some of the ones on my list. Guess now it will come down to what the cost for each is at the time of booking. Glad to hear either one will be fine.

The other hotel we were considering is 987 Barcelona Hotel but I haven't seen any reviews on these boards for that particular one.

Keep posting as it's great being able to read the experiences others have had with hotels in Barcelona and their locations.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, we stayed at the Hotel duquesa de Cardona last September. It has a lovely location overlooking the Harbour. And is within easy walking distance to Las Ramblas.

The rooms were lovely and large. The bathroom was also very large compared to other European hotels. A/C worked great. I would for sure stay here again!

Debordo

I am glad to see a good comment for this hotel. We have reservations for 2 days in June before our cruise.

Chris

We were on Las Ramblas, described as a lively area, :mad: . We did not sleep all night, there was a statue right under the hotel, and after the partying along the Ramblas finished about 3 am, the statue seemed to be the meeting place until 7 am when people were sleeping off their night.

It really was not too far from the port area to Las Ramblas, we could see the ships from the balcony. We got a taxi because we didn't fancy dragging the cases, but the price was the only good thing about the hotel.

We're in the process of researching hotels in Barcelona also. One of the places we've come across is an apartment in the Eixample area. Is there anyone who has stayed in an apartment rather than a hotel? The place isn't fancy, but has a living room with a balcony, a bedroom with twin beds and a fully equipped, modern kitchen. The price appears less than the Continental Palacete and I love the thought of all the room.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of anyone who has opted for an apartment rather than a hotel. Thanks.

Mary

Thank you all for posting as those hotels were some of the ones on my list. Guess now it will come down to what the cost for each is at the time of booking. Glad to hear either one will be fine.

The other hotel we were considering is 987 Barcelona Hotel but I haven't seen any reviews on these boards for that particular one.

Keep posting as it's great being able to read the experiences others have had with hotels in Barcelona and their locations.:)

We stayed at Hotel Artes, which is at the marina. Several great restaurants within walking distance at pier. The hotel is very modern. We had breakfast on the terrace watching the boats on the water. Fabulous views. It was a short cab ride to all of the activities happening in Barcelona--such as Gaudi Park, the museum, etc.

We too stayed at the Hotel Jazz only a few blocks from Las Ramblas last year and it was phenomenal! Great price for an excellent almost brand new room with great A/C. Coming from Miami, we know great A/C's lol...

Check it out if you have a chance.

We're in the process of researching hotels in Barcelona also. One of the places we've come across is an apartment in the Eixample area. Is there anyone who has stayed in an apartment rather than a hotel? The place isn't fancy, but has a living room with a balcony, a bedroom with twin beds and a fully equipped, modern kitchen. The price appears less than the Continental Palacete and I love the thought of all the room.

I'd appreciate the thoughts of anyone who has opted for an apartment rather than a hotel. Thanks.

Mary

Mary,

We are staying at the Apartment Marina in the Eixample area this July for a night pre-cruise. The photos show it to be serviceable, modern with air-conditioning, kitchen and 2 bedrooms. But not pink! We chose it because we have our 2 teens with us, and it was far more spacious than a family room elsewhere. We'll be quite exhausted from the flight(s) over, so all we really need is a comfortable place to sleep some of it off.

It is very close to Sagrada Familia, so we hope to take take a look in the morning, before we embark.

If you are considering such a place after August, look for the lengthy report I intend to make on our trip here. I've gained so much information, I want to make a small payment on our debt to these boards!

We have rented an apartment for six days pre cruise . In 2005 after a cruise we rented half a houseboat in Amsterdam and enjoyed it so much it's

apartments from now on. Somehow it's like your own place and not just a room in a building. It was nice just going to the local shops for groceries , cooking breakfast and a simple meal in the evening after being out all day . Much easier than the where should we eat tonight ? The extra space is also a bonus.

Globalnomads - CD,

Thank you for your comments regarding apartments. I know we had an apartment for 3 weeks near Cannes, and saved a lot of money between rent and cooking some of our meals vs. a small hotel room and eating every meal out at sometimes iffy restaurants. I also really enjoyed the interaction with the locals at the markets.

This time, we'll only have a couple of days pre-cruise in Barcelona, and will probably eat most meals out, with possibly the exception of breakfast, but I like the idea of all the room an apartment affords. We still have lots of time to decide since this particular cruise isn't until 2008!

Mary

Archived