Cunard - Brochure Cheapskates!

dougnewmanatsea

A while back, looking at the wonderful itinerary for the next QE2 World Cruise and wishing that I had the opportunity to go, I ordered a QE2 World Cruise brochure from Cunard's site in the normal fashion in which I've ordered dozens of brochures before.

Well, today I got a nice little envelope in the mail from Cunard. At the end of a rather embellished three-and-a-half-page letter extolling the virtues of this cruise, I found the following sentence: "For a complimentary copy of our 2005 World Cruise brochure, simply complete and return the enclosed order card."

The really bizarre thing is that there was a Business Reply envelope enclosed - with a "Place Stamp Here" notation on the upper right hand corner!

Now, at first I didn't see the sense in this, I'd only be paying the postage to send my order card to them, which would result in them sending a brochure to me. Since they'd be sending the brochure anyway, it would appear to have been cheaper had they skipped the letter and just sent the brochure. Then it struck me; they're hoping people won't return the order card, ergo, sending out fewer brochures!

I really hope this is just an error and the brochure (not brochure order form) I ordered comes soon, but I suspect it won't.

This is really a fascinating - and tacky - new tactic; for instance Cunard's theoretically standard-market sister company Princess sends us so much unsolicited junk mail that we practically need a bigger mailbox just to hold all of it!

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

All you have to do is order the brochure from Cunard's website or call the "800" tele # - its the way of the world - snail mail is going to be obsolete - certainly someone of your generation realizes that!

THe World cruise has a smaller audience & the brochures are expensive - so mass mailing is a waste. Marketing 101 - target your audience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rotterdam:

All you have to do is order the brochure from Cunard's website<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did, and this seems to be what they sent me!

Someone suggested that it's just because I'm on their mailing list, but I can't recall ever getting mass mailings from Cunard, except one that was by virtue of being a Princess Captain's Circle member, explaining why Princess veterans should try QM2. So I guess it could be that the brochure I ordered is on the way, but I get a funny feeling it isn't, and this is now what you get when you order a brochure (or at least a World Cruise brochure) from Cunard.

If this is what I think it is, it's rather irritating that you request a brochure only to get a form asking you to request a brochure!

Doug Newman

Doug -

I received the same 4 page letter promoting the World Cruise on QE2 for 2005 yesterday(. Its most likely just a coincidence that you received the letter at the same time of your brochure request - I ordered the brochure for my parents yesterday (via the website)and received a Cunard confirm today via email. Yes the envelope is tacky asking for postage - but tehre are ways to get teh brochure without postage & thats what Cunard / Carnivore wants. Also there are many "Older" people without computers. so they cover all bases.

Sometimes they are either out of a certain brochure or are awaiting the final printing - that explains most lag times in receiving requested info.

Altho Cunards customer service leaves something to be desired - this is one area where they have been consistantly good(revenue buildups).

I'm sailing on QM2 this afternoon - I'll check to see if the World cruise brochures are aboard.

Glad to hear that this is being sent out even to those who hadn't requested a brochure - which means my brochure is probably still on the way.

It didn't even occur to me that it might be direct mail as despite having ordered Cunard brochures many times, I very, very rarely, if ever get direct mail from Cunard.

Doug Newman

Archived