Can you tell me about the Kenai fjords trips?

TeeBuccs

If you have been on one of these, can you please tell me what to expect. DH and I have five days inland post cruise to explore and this is one thing I am considering. I would just like to know what the experience is really like so I can sell my husband on the idea of getting on another boat after getting off a cruiseship!

Thanks for any advice, stories, photos and tidbits!

As you know, I highly recommend a Kenai Fjords boat tour. So much so, if I'm in interior Alaska, I always make my way to Seward for it. :)

This is an excellent way to see varied wildlife and a close up glacier look. In no way comparable to anything from your cruise ship.

The Northwestern Fjords trips are my favorite and priority. But I will use the toursaver offer first. :) Which can include the 6 hour trips. A few times I have gone out on both with an extra Seward day. Never do I recommend anything less than 6 hours on the water.

If your husband isn't interested, frankly, why make him go??? Go yourself, easy to meet up after, and there might be something he is more interested in??

Here is a small photo sample if you care to look. Included is Kenai Fjords wildlife and Northwestern Glacier seen on a single trip. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

With five days inland, I would definitely recommend a tour of the Kenai Fjords. It is a gorgeous trip and one that you will probably regret missing the rest of your life.

Make sure you dress warm as it is quite a bit cooler on the water, especially when the boat is travelling from one point to another. A good camera is a real plus-especially if it allows you to zoom in and get some close-ups. Our trip also offered a salmon and prime rib buffet which was excellent. There was more food than we could eat and it was prepared well.

Consider a heavy jacket, something to cover your ears, and gloves. I spent every minute out on the deck, I didn't want to miss anything, and would do so again if the chance arises.

There are many albums on this site with pictures from the tour. Share them with your husband, and if that doesn't excite him, go by yourself. Don't force him into something he might not enjoy, and it will ruin your trip worrying about whether he is having a good time.

Wildlife is not guaranteed-but they will try to find it. Regardless, the scenery is breathtaking and you will enjoy yourselves. Have a great time.

I appreciate the information - very helpful. I won't have an issue talking my husband into going, it is more just trying to let him know what to expect and why I chose this activity. I planned our entire trip last time and he loved it all. I have no doubt he will enjoy again - he's adventurous (and there is plenty of time for fishing over in Homer!)

Archived