Indian Reservations? Has anyone ever done?

RCCLismyfav

There most certainly is an Indian Reservation in Alaska. Technically under US Federal Law there is only one federally recognized Indian Reservation in Alaska and that is on the Annette Island Reserve better known as Metlakatla.

It's just across the narrows from Ketchikan.

They do offer tours over there. It's a great place to visit and get away from all the cell phone toting tourists that are still on the dock in Ketchikan.

http://www.metlakatlatours.net/

http://www.thrilleralaska.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metlakatla,_Alaska

Although not a tour, nor a reservation, I have flown to Anaktuvak Pass, which is eskimo. The flightseeing is probably the best I have flown in all my trips. :) I was fortunate to be riding with 3 natives, who narrated and offered me a wonderful look at their life there. I have seen tour offerings here.

Although not a tour, nor a reservation, I have flown to Anaktuvak Pass, which is eskimo. The flightseeing is probably the best I have flown in all my trips. :) I was fortunate to be riding with 3 natives, who narrated and offered me a wonderful look at their life there. I have seen tour offerings here.

Indian Reservations? Has anyone ever done?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone ever booked an Indian Reservation tour? Is there such a tour offered?

:eek:

I say this in the most friendliest way so that no one is confused or thinks otherwise.

We usually refer to the "eskimos" as "inuit" (IN-YOU-IT) and "indians" as "natives" in Canada. Is this not customary in American?

Perhaps a local could post a response. I would hate for anyone of these nationalities to be offended :(

The only "safe" thing to do is not use racial descriptions at all - whatever term you use, it's just too controversial if the Native person you're talking to has an attitude. In Canada, Inuit (IN-OO-EET - throughout the North, "u" is prounced "oo" and "i" is "ee") is basically correct, but many Inuit want to be called by the local term - in the Mackenzie Delta area, for example, it's Inuvialuit. In Alaska, "Eskimo" is not considered to be offensive as it is in Canada and Greenland, but again most Eskimos prefer to have their local terminology used. In western Canada, "First Nations" is the politically-correct term for Indians (though the average Indian will call himself an Indian), while in Alaska, Native Alaskan (capital "N") is preferred. Again ,specific terms are preferred - http://www.alaskanative.net/2.asp One of the rudest things you can do in Alaska is ask a person if he's an Indian, Eskimo or whatever - I've seen it done many times, though.

Murray

Thank you for the correction, bearbait. It's not easy to find it in a search(thinking that there was one, I did a search last night, and found nothing).

Anyway, kingsgirl, you are correct about the terminology...we don't normally use the term "Indian" in Alaska (obviously I don't speak for everyone here, but it isn't the preferred), instead using "native". But we also don't use "inuit". Eskimo is accepted and not considered derogatory.

http://www.uaf.edu/anlc/inuitoreskimo.html

In Alaska there are 2 groups of Eskimos...Inupiat (or Inupiaq) and Yupik.

The only "safe" thing to do is not use racial descriptions at all - whatever term you use, it's just too controversial if the Native person you're talking to has an attitude. In Canada, Inuit (IN-OO-EET - throughout the North, "u" is prounced "oo" and "i" is "ee") is basically correct, but many Inuit want to be called by the local term - in the Mackenzie Delta area, for example, it's Inuvialuit. In Alaska, "Eskimo" is not considered to be offensive as it is in Canada and Greenland, but again most Eskimos prefer to have their local terminology used. In western Canada, "First Nations" is the politically-correct term for Indians (though the average Indian will call himself an Indian), while in Alaska, Native Alaskan (capital "N") is preferred. Again ,specific terms are preferred - http://www.alaskanative.net/2.asp One of the rudest things you can do in Alaska is ask a person if he's an Indian, Eskimo or whatever - I've seen it done many times, though.

Murray

Murray that is so interesting about the differences in the pronouncing of Inuit, since we're both Canadian.

Thanks for sharing all your info - it was very educational and important to me at least. Thanks :)

Thank you for the correction, bearbait. It's not easy to find it in a search(thinking that there was one, I did a search last night, and found nothing).

Anyway, kingsgirl, you are correct about the terminology...we don't normally use the term "Indian" in Alaska (obviously I don't speak for everyone here, but it isn't the preferred), instead using "native". But we also don't use "inuit". Eskimo is accepted and not considered derogatory.

http://www.uaf.edu/anlc/inuitoreskimo.html

In Alaska there are 2 groups of Eskimos...Inupiat (or Inupiaq) and Yupik.

Thanks for sharing too, it's very interesting to learn about the different groups!

Murray that is so interesting about the differences in the pronouncing of Inuit, since we're both Canadian.

I'm not certain how you mean that, but there is only one correct way of pronouncing it, and a whole lot of incorrect ways. That is assuming that the Inuit themselves are using the right pronunciation :D You might find listening to CBC Iqaluit for a while to be interesting.

I'm not certain how you mean that, but there is only one correct way of pronouncing it, and a whole lot of incorrect ways. That is assuming that the Inuit themselves are using the right pronunciation :D You might find listening to CBC Iqaluit for a while to be interesting.

We were raised (in the home and through every educational institute elementary/secondary/college/university) to pronounce it as I said above as

In You It.

The way you pronounced it is In You Eat?

Perhaps it's just a difference in Canadian accents? ;)

Folks,

I am sorry if I unknowingly called someone a name, that I am truly sorry for. Are we suppose to go on here and ask who is referred to what? I am sure something could be said about that also! :rolleyes:

Thank you Bearbait and Budget Queen for your information you both have so much knowledge and so willingly to share it.

Please lets get back to my question!

As posted previously, there are tours and also just flights to native villages.

BQ posted one. I have flown to two or three villages on my way to Prudhoe (pilot had to drop off packages and mail).

Barrow is almost all native. The one day trip to Barrow has some definite native culture.

These are all fly ins on small planes. Would you be comfortable flying on a small prop plane?

Here is a link to a similar trip BQ posted about. http://www.northernalaska.com/anaktuvuk.cfm

Folks,

I am sorry if I unknowingly called someone a name, that I am truly sorry for. Are we suppose to go on here and ask who is referred to what? I am sure something could be said about that also! :rolleyes:

Thank you Bearbait and Budget Queen for your information you both have so much knowledge and so willingly to share it.

Please lets get back to my question!

I don't think anyone was criticizing your choice of words, or at least I didn't interpret the responses that way. I think several posters are simply trying to (helpfully) inform all of us visitors about the correct terminology to use. There are many facets to your question, and I'm glad they've all been discussed. I would prefer to learn as much as possible about my Alaskan hosts, and not unintentionally insult them. Your original question was a very good one, and I'm glad you asked it.

Actually, Yukon (Murray) has a great deal of information and knowledge to impart as well, and he is an excellent resource. You should visit his website sometime, if you haven't already had the opportunity to do so. I appreciate all the replies here as well as the anthropological background of the native populations of both Alaska and Canada.

Archived