How early should we be?

Firkin

My DH and I are going 4/25 on Carnival leaving from Red Hook. The booklet we got from CCL said be there 1/2 before it is time to leave. This, because of secruity. I say no way are they going to get 1,200 passengers booked in 1/2 an hour. I want to get there a few hours ahead, as that is what you do when flying overseas. D.H. wants to be there at 330 pm for a 4pm departure. Which is most realistic. Am I way to early, is he cutting it to close?

My DH and I are going 4/25 on Carnival leaving from Red Hook. The booklet we got from CCL said be there 1/2 before it is time to leave. This, because of secruity. I say no way are they going to get 1,200 passengers booked in 1/2 an hour. I want to get there a few hours ahead, as that is what you do when flying overseas. D.H. wants to be there at 330 pm for a 4pm departure. Which is most realistic. Am I way to early, is he cutting it to close?

Beter to cool your heels in the terminal, meet people, laugh alot, de-stress and glide onto the ship.:cool: That way your extra early time on the ship can be spent on a familiarization tour and ship deck map reading.:D Plan your sailaway activity, change your dining seating if need be. Alot to think about upon embarkation.:eek: ENJOY your cruise you deserve it. Paul & Trudi in San Diego

Hello,

I do not mean to be disrespectful of your DH, nor do I wish to cause any problems for you.

After 17 cruises, however, I highly recommend that you plan to be at the cruise terminal by approximately 12:00 Noon for a 4:00 PM departure of the ship.

Why? Three reasons...first, you avoid a lot of stress. What if , for example, if there is road construction on the freeway resulting in a 30 minute delay, or if your ride to the terminal is late? Parking lot shuttles also take time to drive to the cruise terminal, and so on. Even the most experienced of cruise travelers will tell you that they want to be on that ship as early as possible because there is enough stress already on the day your cruise is scheduled to begin.

Second, the earlier you arrive the shorter the lines for processing your documents, and this means less standing in a line.

Third and probably the most important...generally the earlier you arrive the faster you go through processing and your cruise vacation begins. And it is really nice to be among the first passengers on board to have a leisurely lunch before your luggage arrives at your cabin.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

We just returned from Carnival Cruise from Tampa. We boarded at 12pm and they had the buffett ready for lunch for the "early arrivers". Arriving this early, there will be less lines and more time to explore the ship before you set sail.

I like getting there between 10:30 and 11:00 a.m. for boarding which usually begins at 12:00. I have no trouble getting a porter to take my bags, I'm at the head of the line and am usually in the first 100 (and twice been first) to board the ship. I head straight for the buffet where there is no waiting, I get a nice window seat and start my vacation. My luggage is outside my door within two hours of boarding and I am usually totally unpacked by the time of the muster drill.

So, my recommendation is to get there early and start your vacation relaxed and not stressed out!

BTW, I will pass on a true story. A co-worker of mine went to Long Beach for a weekend cruise (this is when I was living in L.A.). They got to the pier, were standing in line when her husband said, "I forgot the bag with our formal attire at home." She sent him home (a 90 minute one way trip) to get the bag. He barely made it to the ship before sailaway. So, lessons learned: 1) make sure you have everything BEFORE you leave the house; 2) leave early; and 3) don't cruise with my co-worker! (I couldn't believe she actually sent her husband home for the bag!).

Theresa

We like to arrive early also, get on board and start vacation. They generaly start boarding around 11:30 on the cruises we have been on. Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Oh yeah, welcome to Cruise Critic!!

Archived