Surfing in Southern Caribbean??

seadoll

It might have been Barbados..... When we toured there, we watched folks surfing in Bathsheba and I think the tour guide mentioned that they had competitions there as well. I'm not a surfer, so I may have this information wrong, but it's worth a seach for sure. I seem to remember him saying "world class surfing."

Good Luck!

Barbados is indeed one of the few Caribbean Islands that has decent surfing. Southern tip and up the Atlantic (eastern) coast. Other than that Puerto Rico would be your best bet.

After visiting barbados on our cruise stop last year I've been wanting to plan a surf trip there. Here's a good website with info...

http://www.barbadossurfcams.com

I didn't see any waves on our cruise to the Southern Pacific on the Destiny. In Barbados the water was a little more "swift" but no waves. I think that is one thing that I noticed most about the water on our cruise was how calm it was. The closes beach to us is about 3 hours a way and the water there is always very rough and lots of waves.

your best bet, if you really want to surf, is to get to Puerto Rico a day or two early. (Well, actually, your BEST bet would be California or Hawaii, but your best bet in the Caribean). The southwestern beaches have pretty decent year round surf, but they are quite a ways from San Juan.

I have not surfed Barbados, personally, but I have friends who have, and they say it was pretty average.

Thanks for the information. We are going on the Destiny and are on the 10-14 sailing. I've already posted on the roll call and we have about 20 in our group. A couple of us are interested in going surfing. Since I've only gone surfing once and that was years ago in Hawaii, I'm not looking for "world class" waves, just something to try it again. I don't want to be ruined for the rest of the trip!

Archived